Kepler vs. Fermi ?

E^vol

Limp Gawd
Is it just me or are the Kepler series cards having more problems than Fermi series?
I'm not bashing nVidia, I have and love my 580...:D
I'm thinking about switching my 580 for a 670 (better value vs the 680), but I just can't help but wonder if this will be a mistake since all I seem to read are the (many) problems people are having with their 670's and 680's.
I don't remember there being this many issues with the 5xx series cards.

My 580 is working perfectly fine, but I recently bought a G27, Playseat, and a 39" TV for some sim racing. My issue is that I already have and use 2 monitors on my desktop and the 580 can't output the HDMI to the TV at the same time as the 2 other monitors. Hence wanting the 670 for the 4 monitor support.

So is it just me or are the Kepler cards having more issues than Fermi ? :confused:

problems are most from amd fans who switched to nvidia and didnt delete the drivers correctly.

We'll the 580 was the second iteration of the Fermi architecture so there really shouldn't have been many issues. Kepler is brand new and it adds a lot of new features to the Nvidia line: GPU boost, adaptive v-sync, and single card surround.

However I think the only real problem right now is v-sync related issues, which will hopefully be fixed in the next driver release.

i havent had 1 issue with my 670. coming from a 6950 (5870, 4870) i havent had time to do a clean install. i just uninstalled all things amd, ran a reg clean, then installed the lates nvidia drives. this thing blows away my unlocked 6950.

I have been through 4 (four) Yes 4 MSI GTX 670s before I got 2 that work properly.

I'm not sure what the problem is/was, but each card I RMA'd had a different problem.

One screamed like a banschee from the momment it was plugged in, and the outputs wouldn't carry a stable signal......ie the display blinked off/on constantly.

The second one again screamed like a 2 year old, and wouldn't run a game at factory clocks without artifacting.

I test all my cards on a dedicated bench, fresh OS install and fresh drivers. The board and CPU have been benched stable, to elimanate any variables.

The two cards I now use in SLi run brilliantly.:D and OC to a nice 1238 MHz under load.

These are the first two GPUs I have ever had to RMA fresh out of the box.......and I have had many, many GPUs.

No problems with my 680's (although I wouldn't mind a little more OC headroom, I always get dud cards). I'm looking forward to some more mature drivers though, want to see them start tuning for the Kepler architecture and squeeze out some more frames.

I haven't had a problem with my 680s at all. Uninstalled my 580s, installed my 680s, and I've been gaming on them since March.

4XX Fermi problems:
Black screen of death, caused by HDMI audio drivers. Now fixed.

Kepler problems:
Red screen of death, caused by hardware monitoring programs. Now also fixed.

What issues are you talking about? Hardware faults? Because that happens to every manufacturer. 5xx had no problems at all from what I recalled.

No problems with my 670. I'm running EVGA's reference card, and I have no complaints. Doesn't OC like most, but its fast enough that I really don't care.

Love my 680. I came from a 560Ti, then a single 7970, then 2 7950s, 1 7950, and now a 680.

One of the smoothest gaming experiences I have ever had. Makes 120hz seem like a thing of the past. I hardly notice drops in FPS in BF3 anymore and because of this I am now looking for a higher resolution monitor.

Stock 670 is a different card than the 680 (not just the gpu difference). If you go 670 I suggest you get one with the beefier PCB. Otherwise, the stock 680 is a very nice option IMO.

Thanks for all the input.
It's nice to hear that there are people who are enjoying their 670's & 680's and not just having problems!!!

JohnleMVP: You're right, I am comparing Fermi's 2nd gen to Kepler's 1st gen cards.

Agenesis: It's a combo of software and hardware problems I've been reading about, like featsdontfailme's 2 bad cards for example.

P.S.
I am looking at the Gigabyte 670 OC (Windforce), Galaxy 670 GC or the Asus 670 DC2 Top mainly because of their custom PCB's, and custom cooling (I want it to be as quiet as possible).
Although, I am wondering if these are the best choice since I have an FT02...Suggestions?

Last edited:
I had artifacting and RSoD with the first GTX 670 reference card I got, but after a long wait and frustrating RMA process I got a replacement from EVGA that's working great. Sadly with this hobby DOA cards are possible and luck of the draw.

I went from a 6950(70) to the GTX680. I didn't even uninstall the AMD drivers and my scores are exactly in line with every other score findable on the internet. I don't see how people are having issues because of drivers.

I found the creation of this thread odd. I am not an enormous Nvidia fan, but I did not get the sentiment the OP did from everything I have seen. 6xx series is (mostly) gold.

There seems to be a divide... Reviews are saying that these cards are great, and yet, there are a lot of posts from people saying that they are having problems and/or have DOA cards. More so than usual I find...

Last edited:
There seems to be a divide... Reviews are saying that these cards are great, and yet, there are a lot of posts from people saying that they are having problems and/or have DOA cards. More so than usual I find...

You see DOA posts? I have only seen minor issues and most of the time its from people trying to get some CUDA support.

I had artifacting and RSoD with the first GTX 670 reference card I got, but after a long wait and frustrating RMA process I got a replacement from EVGA that's working great. Sadly with this hobby DOA cards are possible and luck of the draw.

And that said, the replacement I got on Friday is now artifacting in Furmark. I paid for this card almost a month ago and still don't have a working card.

And that said, the replacement I got on Friday is now artifacting in Furmark. I paid for this card almost a month ago and still don't have a working card.

Thats (not)funny, I haven't had a DOA card since the PNY 6800GT debacle with loose transistor caps, I was also not one of the majority that got upgraded to a free 6800Ultra either :(

OT: I'm getting fed up waiting for the release date on the 660's, I may be buying another 7850.

Zero issues here, had a 560Ti previously that caused TDR driver crashes (on my old Q6700 machine). Uninstalled drivers, swapped cards and been loving it since. I'm on factory OC.

Back