Key Switch

Ironsoap

n00b
I ordered a Key Switch that I'm going to use in the my Case
as a power switch.

My question is, how do i install this (I'm assuming I just take the two case wires that control power and go to the motherboard and wire them to each side of the key switch?) and if I do, will it act like a regular power button (if I turn the key in the off position, will it shut off all power to the system, or will it start a restart sequence?)

thanks.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
for most power switches to work you have to close and then open the contacts.

if you turn the key to the off position it will sent the ordinary power button signal to your o/s.

for what you are wanting to do you must:

key.jpg

this will completely cut the power so you could use this in conjunction with your normal power button to stop anyone using the computer atall.
key.jpeg

you could do it like that yes, but turning the key wouldnt not cutout the pc, it would just disable the power button.

you could do it like that yes, but turning the key wouldnt not cutout the pc, it would just disable the power button.

then how would I get it to work like a regular power button?

i.e. Turn key from off to on to boot up PC.
Turn key from on to off to on again to start shutdown sequence
turn key from on to off to do a hard shutdown.

I had assumed this was all controlled by the Mobo/OS, not the power switch itself. I thought you could use anything (like this, or a light switch) as a power button?

turn the key to on then back to off - power on
turn the key to on the back to off - sort power off
turn the key to on for four seconds and back - hard power off

for this to work you must take out the old power switch.

you can use anything you want but you cant just keep the contacts closed

thats why power buttons are push buttons

turn the key to on then back to off - power on
turn the key to on the back to off - sort power off
turn the key to on for four seconds and back - hard power off

for this to work you must take out the old power switch.

Okay, but would I be able to pull the key out?

yeah you should be able to pull out the key at either position.

yes. both turning the computer on and off requires that you go from off to on to off again. what's different between turning the computer on and turning it off is that to turn it off you simply keep the key in the on position for 4 seconds before returning it to off and removing the key.

essentially you're doing the same lead-connecting action as the button, but instead of a push/hold action, it's a twist/hold action. this is why power buttons are spring loaded and not on and off toggles. if you think the key switch will work like a car, an on off toggle, you're not going to get that. at least not without some kinda weird circuit making on your end.

if you just turn the key to the on position the computer is going to turn itself on then after 4 seconds it will shut its self off.

Try this before you do anything, push in the power button and hold it there, This is what will happen if you just turn the key on and leave it in the on position.

There are Momentary keys switches, I suggest you get one of them instead, will make it alot easier for you and anyone else who uses your computer, this way you won't have to worry about the above problems.
Here is one I found on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Momentary-Key...5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1192295161&sr=1-1

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I would take Diablo2K's url link and go that route.
The drawing you made of the lock would only have to have one wire routed from the computer's power switch and continue on normally to the mobo connection from the other pole.
You would turn the key to power up the computer then, turn the key back off and put it in your pocket. When you're done using the computer shut it down normally through the start button on the screen.
To fire it back up one would need the key again.
But, I like the momentary barrel lock set that Diablo2K found for you, just leave your other power button in so as not to leave a hole there.
Take care,
Mike

Old style automotive start switch, the crank position of the switch is all ya need, ya turn the switch and when you let go it goes back to a non contact position. Ford tracotr places sells lots of them, real small

Or you can build a proprietary circuit board... I've seen it done before. You convert the on/off hard switch to a momentary pulse with the board. Lemme see if I can find an example...

You might be able to bypass the motherboard power switch circuit entirely. There's a lead on the main ATX power connector that powers up the PSU. It's has to be continously grounded for the PSU to stay on. You can cut that wire and splice it to one side of your key switch. Then the other side splice into a ground. That way you turn the key on, it grounds the Power_On signal, telling the PSU to power up. Turn the key off, and it ungrounds the Power_On signal, telling the PSU to shut down. However, you will lose any auto shutdown capabilities, and some motherboards may not like the new behavior.

Back