Keyboard (Piano) user please help...

spectrumbx

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok, I just got my M-Audio 88 Keys Pro keyboard today.

I have several issues with that keyboard:
1. I have a stuck key (the left most key stays down when pressed)
2. The "modulation" jog-dial does not snap back to the middle like the "Pitchbend" jog-dial.

My current concern is with issue number 2.
Is this a normal behavior?

If you have stuck keys, you probably have a bad keyboard. I can't say on the mod wheel of that particular keyboard, but often they are not spring loaded. Pitch bend is intended to be a temporary effect, you bend a note for a sec, then release. Hence spring loading. Modulation is generally a longer used effect. You use it to specify something like vibrato level, or even the sample used (Eastwest often has articulation on the mod wheel) and thus usually isn't spring loaded. Normally it is supposed to be all the way down.

Cool thanks.

From wiki:
DSP effects can also be controlled on the fly by physical controllers. Electronic keyboards often have two wheels on the left hand side, generally known as a pitch bend and a modulation wheel. The difference between these is that the pitch bend wheel always flicks back to its default position — the centre — while the modulation wheel can be placed freely. By default, the pitch bend wheel controls the pitch of the note in small values, allowing the simulation of slides and other techniques which control the pitch more subtlely. The modulation wheel is usually set to control a tremolo effect by default. However, on most electronic keyboards, the user will be able to map any MIDI control to these wheels. Professional MIDI controller keyboards often also have an array of knobs and sliders to modulate various MIDI controls, which are often used to control DSP effects.

Now I need to deal with the stuck key.
The piano is to big to return unless the merchant is willing to come pick it up.

Back