KHX3200ULK2/1G (Kingston) vs TWINX1024-3200C2PRO (Corsair)

WanTeD

Limp Gawd
Does 2 of these Crucial sticks work in dual Channel?

An finally, from the 3 modules (the 2 that I mentioned and the crucial one), which one is better at:

1)Stock speed and timings
2)OCing

I don't know if it mattres, but here's my system:

MB: K8N Neo2 Platinum
CPU: Will get the new Venice 3500+ or 3800+

Put it this way: the Kingston uses TCCD, so you're GUARANTEED DDR500+ at 2.5-3-3-7, bare minimum. Most likley, it also uses the Brainpower PB for even higher results. The Corsair is not part of the XL series, so it doesn't use TCCD at all; I also don't see it on any BH/CH lists, so it doesn't use any well-known OC'ing chips. If it overclocks at all, it will take a helluva lot of voltage- I'd get the Kingston, or some other TCCD-based sticks.

Ok some of my friends told me to get neither of those 2 mentioned here, but instead to get the TWINX1024-3200XLPT 1 GB (2x512 Dual Channel).. They have the same timing as the Kingston KHX3200ULK2, but it appears that the corsair ones OC better.. Is that right? (They should.. they cost 30$ more..)

Price is not always directly indicitive of performance...especially not if you're overclocking.

The Crucial Ballistix that Eclipse pointed you to is the stuff he uses personally, so it's pretty good stuff.

Mine's TwinMOS Speed Premium 400, which is cheaper but you need a motherboard (and PSU) that can do about 3.2V reliably.

I'm not sure about the Kingston, but I tried to Google reviews on it. The few there are don't mention Brainpower anywhere, which makes me think they didn't use it after all. With the Corsair, you just have to make sure yours are Rev1.2 or higher- this is when they switched to the better PCB. Other than that, they will get the same results from one manufacturer to the next- it's not like Corsair can ask Samsung for "better" TCCD chips, it's all from the same assembly lines.

I have (and am getting rid of- drop by! Swapping it out for BH-5 in my upcoming DFI/A64) the 512MB, unmatched version of the 3200XL. I can't vouch for its overclocking ability since both of my rigs have been CPU limited, but I will say that both Corsair and Kingston have amazing warranties if you ever need it.

Damn, I feel dumb each time replies to one of my thread and I'm like : Whaaa? :confused:

Anyways.. how can I check if they are Rev 1.2 or higher?

And to ashmedai who said that I should have a good MB and PSU that can reach 3.2V reliably, I have a K8N Neo2 Platinum, and I'm getting this PSU: Fortron 500W ATX FSP500-60THN BlueStorm. Are they enough for a little OCing? I don't plan to get the shit out of my CPU by OCing it, just a little bit.. You know.. about an extra 200~300 Mhz with my Venice CPU (Still waiting for it of course..)

PSU link: http://www.rue-montgallet.com/prix/75012/fiche-technique/20112/

I've been hearing that Venice is a cakewalk to overclock...

I'm pretty sure that board will let you do up to 3.2/3.3ish, I don't know the exact point though. Motherboards created without overclocking in mind are often limited to no higher than 2.9 or thereabouts. If all else fails, OCZ makes this thingy that goes in one of your extra memory slots and lets you overvolt it more. The TwinMOS TMSP/400 uses CH-5 which is great stuff, it's just a glutton for the volts. My DFI board has jumpers to switch the input rail from 3.3 to 5V so I can do up to 4.0V through the BIOS, although I'm uncomfortable going over about 3.4 - then again 3.2/3.3 was more than enough to get it up to 250MHz with really tight timings.

I've heard only good things about that PSU, I'm deliberating getting it myself- the color is ghastly, though! I don't believe MSI goes as high as DFI on the voltages, so you may have a little fun modding the 3.3V rail on the supply itself. I have a link for instructions in my Favorites, if you need it. (Or check out the PSU section here at [H], I think it's a sticky.) The guys at DFI-Street recommend it very highly in conjunction with the DFI NF3/NF4 boards, one of which will be a foundation for my new rig.

As for revisions, it's luck of the draw; by now, I'd expect most of them to be fairly new revisions- I think they've got at least a 2.0 out by now, but that could just be a rumor. However, the sticker on the heatspreaders will tell you once you get it, so you don't have to mutilate your RAM to check.

3.2~3.3 volts is plenty for most memory and overclocking, so I wouldn't be in a hurry to mess with the PSU's output. If you peak out and have reason to think a little more will help alot, then maybe. Much more voltage than that through the memory and heat tends to start being a major major concern.

actually, 3.2-3.3v will kill most tccd pretty quicky :D

mavalpha said:
Put it this way: the Kingston uses TCCD, so you're GUARANTEED DDR500+ at 2.5-3-3-7, bare minimum.
hmm, that is tempting, but i've never seen ballistix that can't do 240-245mhz at 2.5-2-2 timings.. not unless something else is holding it back

and, jsut for kicks, i got this on my ballistix last night, putting 2.9v through it. just a consideration, though cas1.5 doesn't help over cas2 too much.
i can also get to 250mhz (memory controller limit) at 2.5-2-2-10 ;)

cas1.5.png

(cf)Eclipse said:
actually, 3.2-3.3v will kill most tccd pretty quicky :D

Welcome to the wonderful world of Winbond, where we need so much voltage it'd fry a lesser chip...

Getting an easy 2-2-2 at 250+ is sweet, more so since TwinMOS is dropping CH-5 and BH-5 like halloween candy.

...and gotta love DFI for being pretty much the only company that makes boards that let us feed that much voltage to the RAM... :D Is it any wonder I'm a loyal fan?

That, and one of the few manufacturers from which I have ever gotten a fast, relevant, useful response? Or any of the above for that matter.

I have so much to learn about OCing.. :(

Do I have to OC the memory in order to OC the CPU? or are they unrelated?

Speeds are directly related, timings are almost UNrelated (unless it's an Athlon64, in which case really tight timings can put a strain on the memory controller- as in, part of the processor).

Edit: See below for stuff about dividers, which I haven't gotten used to yet.

WanTeD said:
Do I have to OC the memory in order to OC the CPU? or are they unrelated?

Related, but with provisions made (memory dividers) to let you do each independant of the other in spite of it.

A64 you can quite comfortably OC the CPU as high as you want with stock speed PC3200 memory.

ashmedai said:
A64 you can quite comfortably OC the CPU as high as you want with stock speed PC3200 memory.

Ok that's relief.. Do I need a special software? or is it all done in BIOS? (I'm somehow feeling that serious overclockers are cursing me while reading this.. I can barely hear them hehe)

*shrug*

Anyone that rides ya for it is an idiot, it says newbie right next to your handle.

It's done in the BIOS but usually there's software that will let you tweak from within Windows. What you can tweak and to what extent is dependant on your motherboard.

If you're overclocking, you can usually get a 3000+ or 3200+ to hit the stock speeds of a 3500+ / 3800+ with minimal effort. However since the OC puts more stress on your system than normal, it's even more important than usual to have a viable PSU and so forth. You don't have to have the most expensive parts around, that'd kinda defeat the purpose of a budget overclock, but you need to make sure that you're not going to have piece of shit parts messing everything up. A high overclock can be tricky enough to get stable without having to deal with a PSU that can't put out stable voltage.

My other key design point is that I like to have my computers relatively quiet, so I do things like get a decent aftermarket heatsink and go out of my way to find cases that support 120mm fans. This helps the OC a bit too as I end up with a better-than-stock heatsink & airflow, and a solid well-designed case instead of one that's even money going to short out your board. Fortunately I save on parts by overclocking so it compensates for the extra I put towards quiet cooling.

Then you get the Athlon FX guys that have way more disposable income than I do and just do it because they fricking can. ^_^

mavalpha said:
Edit: See below for stuff about dividers, which I haven't gotten used to yet.
read the thing in my sig about a64 memory dividers
here if you have sig's turned off

Oh, no, I understand the stuff (and even explained it to someone else). I just haven't gotten used to it yet. My P4 always ran 1:1 way back when, and then I switched over to an AXP. I haven't run asynchronous RAM since, um... uh... as long as I can remember.

Nonetheless, thanks for the link! I was trying to find it for someone else the other day.

Back