Kickstarter fans won't fund unoriginal crap

fattypants

2[H]4U
Nice to see that kickstarter users ignore people that push hard to make a CoD clone

rmmdxh.jpg

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/policewarfare/police-warfare

... formed by industry veterans that had worked on titles such as Gears Of War, Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry 3, Grand Theft Auto IV, Crysis, and Killzone 2

Yeah, I'll pass on that. I'm sure they got a publisher though.

They can't seriously use that name right? Activision will sue unless they're the publisher.

amazing to think that there was almost 800 ppl backing this project, but in all honestly I wouldn't surprised if this got picked up by a smaller publisher

Sounds like something a budget developer like City Interactive would create.

Generic, uncreative, unimaginative, stagnant, unoriginal, orthodox, underwhelming, conventional, uninspired, stale... The list could go on.

Getting enough people willing to hand over money totalling $25,000 is no small feat for a game idea this uninspired and lame. Especially since it was only active for about a week. If anything, this shows that Kickstarter fanatics will throw $15 at anything, not the opposite.

Huh, this is the exact Kickstarter that was called out as "risky" by Kevin Dent in a recent Penny Arcade report article about Kickstarter campaigns. Guess he was right.
Every single Kickstarter project is risky because there is no legal obligation to ever deliver a finished product. Not sure why that needed to be pointed out.

Every single Kickstarter project is risky because there is no legal obligation to ever deliver a finished product. Not sure why that needed to be pointed out.

That's why you have to be careful with what you back.

Getting enough people willing to hand over money totalling $25,000 is no small feat for a game idea this uninspired and lame. Especially since it was only active for about a week. If anything, this shows that Kickstarter fanatics will throw $15 at anything, not the opposite.

No matter how bad a game may look to us, there will always be people out there who actually likes the idea, people with different opinions and taste in video games. Kickstarter merely allows people to express their desire for a game beforehand, with their own money.

This applies to any games, not just kickstarter. We often forget that a game is lame only in our opinion, and there will always be people out there with a different opinion.

I don't think anyone is going around throwing money at any Kickstarter project they come across.

It doesn't help their cause that practically every big name publisher is creating the same type of game with much larger budgets. There is simply no point in backing a project that has no point of difference.

Yet most of the games that are heavily funded are remakes or "in the vein of"...:p

I believe he was trying to state that the big name games that are released are typically bland carbon copies of one another. They want something unique or "oldschool" even if it is a remake or a sequel to an older game.

Hey! I'm going to start a game called "Call of Honor". Who wants to fund it?
It mixes ALL THE BEST qualities of Call of Duty and Medal of Honor, with Battlefield 3 graphics!

I bet that if someone had a project like that, it'd make a LOT of money because of all the sheep out there.

Hey! I'm going to start a game called "Call of Honor". Who wants to fund it?
It mixes ALL THE BEST qualities of Call of Duty and Medal of Honor, with Battlefield 3 graphics!

I bet that if someone had a project like that, it'd make a LOT of money because of all the sheep out there.

No it should be a QTE game where you're just the guy endlessly screaming obscenities over the comm.

I believe he was trying to state that the big name games that are released are typically bland carbon copies of one another. They want something unique or "oldschool" even if it is a remake or a sequel to an older game.

But thats just as problematic, and will probably make the game industry like the film industry, where everything is a remake of something, or overly safe. Non of the projects have been particularily "original" or unique. Because you can't have a unique remake, that can't happen. Either it's like the original, thus not unique, or not like the original, and thus not really a remake of the original title.

The games industry is all generic big name games or "indie" titles that mostly focus on one tiny "new" idea and beat it to death while having terrible production values. Now with a new group of old ex industry people hashing out remakes of dated old games, making a third group. But the problem with that is that not all big name games are generic, not all indie games are low production and repetitive, but all these old game remakes are all going to be old game remakes. One of the things people get on big companies for is remakes, so why is it fine if the original company does it?

I've only followed Kickstarter loosely. Am I correct to assume that people can basically ask for money with the promise of delivering a product, fail to deliver, and still keep the donated money? Or do the donations get refunded if a project gets cancelled?

I've only followed Kickstarter loosely. Am I correct to assume that people can basically ask for money with the promise of delivering a product, fail to deliver, and still keep the donated money? Or do the donations get refunded if a project gets cancelled?

Well the people only get money if the project is fully funded, but yes they can take it and run. However there might be legal ramifications on that one if they promised things and refused to deliver. Still like with anything it pays to be careful and only fund projects you believe have a high chance of being finished. Basically projects from people with a proven ability to ship games.

Yet most of the games that are heavily funded are remakes or "in the vein of"...:p

remake of standard console fare = unoriginal crap
remake of classic PC games that have been around for a decade or decades longer = originally refreshing

Ah. Gotcha. So then if the projects get cancelled due to inadequate funding, every penny gets returned. Not bad.

It doesn't get returned you simply don't get charged. You only pay if the project is fully funded and only when the kick starter ends.

It doesn't get returned you simply don't get charged. You only pay if the project is fully funded and only when the kick starter ends.

Oh, even better. That actually makes me more likely to donate if I come across a project I find interesting.

Oh, even better. That actually makes me more likely to donate if I come across a project I find interesting.

Yep, the real risk is in what you get for projects that do get funded. Once a project is funded, all the money goes over to the developer. So the risk then is of course that they won't be able to deliver what they promised on the budget. Maybe you get an incomplete project, or a poor quality one, or even nothing. That is all possible.

So what you have to evaluate with a KS project is does it seem like the people asking for the money have the skills to do what they are promising? If it is two guys who've never written a game promising to make a competitor to WoW, well then maybe you don't donate, they are probably in over their head. If it is a team of people who have game development experience promising to make a somewhat budget title, then maybe you do donate, they probably know what they are doing.

You have to be willing to wait for the product to be developed, which can be a year or more, and you have to have some risk tolerance, in that it always could be not what you expected or incomplete or the like, but if you are ok with that, it is a pretty cool thing.

I'm quite a fan and have backed a number of projects, I think it is a great development model.

As long as you understand that your payment is an actual donation it's all good.
Donation = zero expectation of anything in return.

Basically Kickstarter is online begging rolled into a more socially acceptable form.

Except for the fact that most Kickstarters make some sort of offering for kicking in at least a certain amount, then, yes, there is zero expectation.

It's somewhere between a donation and an investment.

Basically a pre-order with a much longer wait time than usual with pre-orders. Kick Starter isn't too different from what some indies have done, using pre-orders to help fund development.

I felt a bit bad for this guy, but I'm glad that the kickstarter route denied someone from making pabulum for a change.

With the added benefit of no corruption by dirty corperate publishers stiffling the creativity of developers :)

As long as you understand that your payment is an actual donation it's all good.
Donation = zero expectation of anything in return.

Basically Kickstarter is online begging rolled into a more socially acceptable form.

as opposed to begging the publishers for money, then begging them again for not forcing anything the fans don't want?

as opposed to begging the publishers for money, then begging them again for not forcing anything the fans don't want?

Then watching a good portion of their profits and budget go to pretty poor marketing.

Here, much of the marketing happens at the Kickstarter level, with huge emphasis on word of mouth. Wasteland 2 already sold 62,000+ copies without even having a finished product. That's about what the recent Syndicate "remake" sold overall.

Then watching a good portion of their profits and budget go to pretty poor marketing.

Here, much of the marketing happens at the Kickstarter level, with huge emphasis on word of mouth. Wasteland 2 already sold 62,000+ copies without even having a finished product. That's about what the recent Syndicate "remake" sold overall.

Poor Syndicate remake/reboot.

Wasteland 2 already sold 62,000+ copies without even having a finished product.
It would be more accurate to say that some 62k people had an emotional response based on nostalgia and decided to donate to an effort toward creating a product of which they can't be sure that it will ever be finished nor can they be sure that they will find it acceptable.

That's very different from having bought a finished product which can be evaluated before purchase via demo, media or peer reviews.

Had the Syndicate remake gone Kickstarter they would have equally gotten many many donations and most of those who donated would have been disappointed with the outcome. Likewise disappointment is in the future of most who donated anything to any Kickstarter project.

It would be more accurate to say that some 62k people had an emotional response based on nostalgia and decided to donate to an effort toward creating a product of which they can't be sure that it will ever be finished nor can they be sure that they will find it acceptable.

That's very different from having bought a finished product which can be evaluated before purchase via demo, media or peer reviews.

Had the Syndicate remake gone Kickstarter they would have equally gotten many many donations and most of those who donated would have been disappointed with the outcome. Likewise disappointment is in the future of most who donated anything to any Kickstarter project.

InExile is a studio that has released games and Brian Fargo commands a lot of respect. There is every indication that it will be released and in fact every indication that they know what fans are looking for.

No the new Syndicate would NOT have been funded if they were honest about it and said what it was. Just like the piece of shit X-Com wouldn't have been either. The only people that thinks turning old deep games into shallow shooters is a good idea are publishers.

No the new Syndicate would NOT have been funded if they were honest about it and said what it was. Just like the piece of shit X-Com wouldn't have been either. The only people that thinks turning old deep games into shallow shooters is a good idea are publishers.

QFT.. If Syndicate was a kickstarter I would have farted in its general direction as soon as I saw the letters "FPS".

The great thing about kickstarter is that the devs are implementing gameplay mechanics that are considered no longer "commercially viable" by big publishers just wanting to cash in and play it safe.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for genuine Magic Carpet and Dungeon Keeper kickstarters.

InExile is a studio that has released games and Brian Fargo commands a lot of respect. There is every indication that it will be released and in fact every indication that they know what fans are looking for.

Pretty much.

Back