Killer Instinct & Friends

Syntaxx

[H]ard|Gawd
Feel free to add me to play around on KI and help each other get better, i sure could use it. I can't wait til I get a fight stick playing on a controller is DEATH. hands cramp, fingers blistered up, get sweaty, cant make my moves consistently. But I love the game to death.

tag is : xTweakeRx

Are you able to play killer instinct online with friends without having a xbox paid membership?

I'd love to play it in its current state, but being the fan of the game that I am, I'm going to wait until they include the story mode. Hopefully it will be completed by the first of 2014. Then I'll make my move.

Have they promised a story mode?

I was super excited that they were bringing back KI, but the game is really striped down. Few characters, no story, and especially no .... no mercy's :eek:. Considering there are no other fighters on One atm, why wouldn't they take advantage of that market and create a fully designed game?

I'd love to play it in its current state, but being the fan of the game that I am, I'm going to wait until they include the story mode. Hopefully it will be completed by the first of 2014. Then I'll make my move.

The Story mode comes out in March with the release of Fulgore. I've been playing the heck out of it since release. I bought the Ultra version that gives you everything in Season 1 plus the original KI.

It'll be interesting to see what the state of the game is in March.

Have they promised a story mode?

I was super excited that they were bringing back KI, but the game is really striped down. Few characters, no story, and especially no .... no mercy's :eek:. Considering there are no other fighters on One atm, why wouldn't they take advantage of that market and create a fully designed game?

they had a short time line and had to release with the console release, in the short period of time they had they did an outstanding job and it will continue to grow and improve.

i just really need my damn fight stick, expected arrival 12/20 :(

Who's the idiot who decided that KI should have a dubstep soundtrack?

I've been playing a bit just doing the free stuff with Jago. It's a pretty interesting experience. They VERY clearly got a lot of inspiration from SF4, but the tried and true KI stuff is there as well.
There's an absolute boatload of depth and neat mechanics. However in the heat of combat it does seem to go out the window and come down to mixing up combo sequences and either getting lucky or psychic with breakers.
Probably the most valid strategy is to stick to the strong versions of linkers and combos since they're the toughest to break (both shoulder buttons) for people using the normal pad :p

Lol, I hate the normal pad but I'm stuck with that until I can get my hands on a joystick for the Xbone.

Add me: Tassadin

Let me know you're from [H]!

I've been playing a bit just doing the free stuff with Jago. It's a pretty interesting experience. They VERY clearly got a lot of inspiration from SF4, but the tried and true KI stuff is there as well.
There's an absolute boatload of depth and neat mechanics. However in the heat of combat it does seem to go out the window and come down to mixing up combo sequences and either getting lucky or psychic with breakers.
Probably the most valid strategy is to stick to the strong versions of linkers and combos since they're the toughest to break (both shoulder buttons) for people using the normal pad :p

Manuals are very important in this game but then again very hard to pull off without excellent reflexes. You're correct that a lot of games boil down to guessing when to break a combo. However, it's a lot of fun to play. My Xbox Live ID is in my signature if anyone wants to play. Just shoot me a message you're from the forum. I currently main Orchid but really need to start branching out into the other characters now that I have a fightstick.

I find myself using lots of SF'ish gameplay in most cases. Smaller combos, safe cancels off all normals, fundamentals, and spacing.
Unlike the old KI's, there are loads of overhead attacks, so you have to be pretty careful with low stuff, though. I lost to one guy that had piss poor fundamentals, but could seemingly counter-break and blow through lows at will. I'd dominate most of the match only to get stuck in a crazy (infinite?) loop of hits I couldn't break out of.
I'm not 100% I'll play it enough to justify buying any of the other characters, but I might just for the hell of it. If nothing else, Thunder is close enough to T. Hawk to make me want to irritate people with him.

I find myself using lots of SF'ish gameplay in most cases. Smaller combos, safe cancels off all normals, fundamentals, and spacing.
Unlike the old KI's, there are loads of overhead attacks, so you have to be pretty careful with low stuff, though. I lost to one guy that had piss poor fundamentals, but could seemingly counter-break and blow through lows at will. I'd dominate most of the match only to get stuck in a crazy (infinite?) loop of hits I couldn't break out of.
I'm not 100% I'll play it enough to justify buying any of the other characters, but I might just for the hell of it. If nothing else, Thunder is close enough to T. Hawk to make me want to irritate people with him.

I use SF fundamentals for sure when playing. For some reason my execution is horrendous with d-pad and for a little while I thought fireballs/ srk's were limited... lol.

Can't wait to get a stick to work on the xbone, I would zone out people so hard with Jago. The people who constantly taunt are the most annoying and I would generally wipe the floor with them if I had a stick.

i just got my stick finally however ive been playing on the damn dpad so long now i need to relearn and get adjusted to this. im starting to get a bit better using it but the competition is stiff. I need TIPS! anyone? :)

Also i have so many darn new games to play now from xmas its hard to balance. I just started black flag, i havent opened Forza 5 yet and i just recently got battlefield 4 a week ago im level 6 and love it. =\

I've been playing using a pad since SF2 on the SNES, so I'm actually fine with the controller. The analog works surprisingly well and I don't really find myself missing moves all that much.
For me, when I lose it usually feels like there's a game mechanic I'm missing somewhere. Stuff like the counter-breaker and when the game keeps yelling "lock-out" when it seems like I should get a breaker. The tutorial touches on lots of things, but it doesn't explain details as well as it should. Ditto with some of those double ultras and random other things I've seen people do. Fundamentally I'm solid, though. Even when I lose I tend to keep it pretty close with normal tried and true SF strategy.
The main thing I've seen people struggling with are normal fireball anti/air strategies, cross-ups, and vertical jumping after a knockdown. I get a lot of single hits throughout matches that can add-up. However out of habit I eat a boatload of Jago wind kicks due to my own habit of using too many low attacks, too.

i just got my stick finally however ive been playing on the damn dpad so long now i need to relearn and get adjusted to this. im starting to get a bit better using it but the competition is stiff. I need TIPS! anyone? :)

Also i have so many darn new games to play now from xmas its hard to balance. I just started black flag, i havent opened Forza 5 yet and i just recently got battlefield 4 a week ago im level 6 and love it. =\

Practice! I just got the stick this week as well and thought I was going to tear apart everyone online. However, like you I got adjusted to the pad as best as I could and it doesn't translate to the stick. It's pretty much like starting over again because of your hand positioning being completely different.

Practice! I just got the stick this week as well and thought I was going to tear apart everyone online. However, like you I got adjusted to the pad as best as I could and it doesn't translate to the stick. It's pretty much like starting over again because of your hand positioning being completely different.

Did you order from the madcatz website? I'm dying to get a stick for the xbone. I only have a ps3/pc stick.

I was gonna order the cronusmax but if there is any input delay that would screw me over in games like SF.

Did you order from the madcatz website? I'm dying to get a stick for the xbone. I only have a ps3/pc stick.

I was gonna order the cronusmax but if there is any input delay that would screw me over in games like SF.

I got it from Gamestop's online store.

I ended up paying for the other characters this weekend. None of them really feel as fleshed out as Jago except maybe Sadira. Sabrewulf is good, but half of that is just him being able to high/low spaz. Thunder does good damage, but feels like they forgot to finish his movelist. Orchid is kind of boring and Glacius feels just as unfinished as Thunder. Also, while I never miss moves with Jago, some moves from the other characters (especially Thunder's dragon punch) just randomly don't seem to always work.

Initially I wasn't sure what to think of the serial model for a fighting game. Now I'm starting to think it's just not the best approach. They should've released a demo and had a separate final game.

...and you can rage quit with no apparent penalty.
Whenever I do too well against anyone over a 5 rank I just assume they're going to quit. 8/10 times they do.

Whenever I do too well against anyone over a 5 rank I just assume they're going to quit. 8/10 times they do.

Its annoying when you're winning and then you hear "XBOX GO HOME" and they quit.

I ended up paying for the other characters this weekend. None of them really feel as fleshed out as Jago except maybe Sadira. Sabrewulf is good, but half of that is just him being able to high/low spaz. Thunder does good damage, but feels like they forgot to finish his movelist. Orchid is kind of boring and Glacius feels just as unfinished as Thunder. Also, while I never miss moves with Jago, some moves from the other characters (especially Thunder's dragon punch) just randomly don't seem to always work.

Initially I wasn't sure what to think of the serial model for a fighting game. Now I'm starting to think it's just not the best approach. They should've released a demo and had a separate final game.

9/10 times Glacius users wake up with an SRK. It's sad really

I find myself generally doing really well playing the game...but I am horrible at breaking combos. A good chunk of my matches are freakishly close because I'll do well and then get hit by some kind of wack-ass 25 hit combo that takes 60% of my life. I think I'm going to head cries of "lock out" in my sleep.
I can't figure out if there's some trick to it I'm missing or what. I seem to have the other mechanics down pat, but players that are my level seem to be breaking my stuff quick (even when I alternate buttons at random) and I just get bulldozed.

Yup I'm with you on that. I do well with funds
fundamentals and then get steamrolled by a combo I can't break.

Sucks.

What feels unfinished about them? The game is pretty balanced so far.

Lock in the Ultra and even if they quit you get the win. It will be addressed in the next patch.

Lock in the Ultra and even if they quit you get the win. It will be addressed in the next patch.

Doesn't work when you can't lock them into an ultra. I had a rank 10 or whatever (climbing the ladder?, I forget but he was 10) disconnect on me after I absolutely steam rolled him, he had about 1/4 hp left on his second hp meter when he disconnected. I was still on my first hp meter and had 3/4 or so health left.

I think you're overestimating when people are bailing. I'm seeing it when they get to 1/3 of their life if not more. If there's a chance of losing - they're gone. IMO, if you bail at all in a ranked match, you lose.
If your connection drops so often that it hurts your rank, that's just too bad. That's how most other fighting games handle it.
I think the game is probably balanced, but at the expense of creativity and strategy. It's kind of like the designers were thinking to themselves "I know what xxx needs! A move that charges through 99% of normal attacks, starts combos, and can be alternated with another move that does the same thing low!"

The Story mode comes out in March with the release of Fulgore. I've been playing the heck out of it since release. I bought the Ultra version that gives you everything in Season 1 plus the original KI.

That's cool, I have both of the original Arcade versions on MAME Emulator anyway.

Who's the idiot who decided that KI should have a dubstep soundtrack?

The original music reflected the times. Eurodance & Heavy Metal were really popular. Nothing has changed in that respect to the the new KI music, obviously the creator wanted to keep the soundtrack fresh and pay homage to the originals (which I think he did) you can hear it in all of the tracks (take a special listen to the Glacius theme) and I commend him for it. I'm one of the biggest KI fans I know, and I think they did a really good job with the new music, the main theme gives us reflections of the original and its a whole lot better than KI2's. After listening to it, it turned out to be better than I expected.

I really like Orchid & Jago's theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOC78uXRZT8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R3flaGnFIE

im still struggling with this game. still having time getting adjusted to the stick and last night my right wrist was in serious pain its kinda of awkard the stick is much bigger than others ones and i feel taller so my wrist is like arched weird for the buttons. also for some reason i do well against the CPU but then when i play a real person i have a hard time opening combo's , getting in, and then i wind up getting all Mashy cuz its so damn fast paced. I stepped away for awhile and came back and its like everyone is good now and lots of a holes everyone beats u once tbags then quits for Exbitition matches. ;( makes me sad panda , very frustrating. i somehow need to get my hands to relax and play more calm and smooth and some how learn a new way of holding this thing so my wrist doesnt explode.

Patch came out yesterday and it addresses the rank progression but not rage quitters. There are also bug fixes and classic customs for Orchid and Jago. Sabrewulf is now the free character.

Read more at the DH forum link below.

http://www.doublehelixgames.com/forum/index.php?threads/killer-instinct-1-2-2014-update-w-dev-notes.6320/page-3#post-120456

having a rotating free character is SUCH BullSh!t... now we're going to see hundreds of f'n saberwolfs like the jago's........ its really annoying....................... I NEED TIPS ANY GUIDES OR HELP on how i can get better..... :(

having a rotating free character is SUCH BullSh!t... now we're going to see hundreds of f'n saberwolfs like the jago's........ its really annoying....................... I NEED TIPS ANY GUIDES OR HELP on how i can get better..... :(

But now there will be less Jagos in matches. I have no problem with this and keeps the game fresh for thing not quite sold on buying more content.

I like the idea of another free character, just not the character choice. Be ready for lots of high/low shenanigans and spazzing out. With rage quitting still in play I can imagine the next few weeks will be a total blast :rolleyes:

anyone got any evidence for me to stick to which character to try to play a lot to get better with. i keep jumping around between a few.. my best was saberwolf.

Sabrewulf has been speculated as being the best character, but obviously it's going to come down to playstyle, talent, and mechanics. The main advantage he has is that he has high/low/front/back shenanigans for days. You can force a block guessing game 3 different ways almost instantly with a big payoff for incorrect guessing. I'd also say that his moves are disguised pretty well. When he's in a combo all of his attacks kinda look the same.
When they were having a lot of tournament level fighting game players demo builds of the game, the Sabrewulf players were mauling the Jagos.

for some reason my hands start to gimp out in battles and i do the wrong move or dont do it correctly hit the wrong button i dont know i need to practice more i suppose try to calm down when i get all heated and on tilt and sweaty it goes downhill :( if anyone wants to play friendly matches or help me out add me, xtweakerx

Back