KiLLeR System UnLeaSHeD!

Dudes/Dudettes,

Some serious firepower has just been purchased today....I'm rolling around on the floor with 3 GTX stupid sticker sets...in blissful anticipation of the arrival of:

Corsair 900D Case
i7 4960x Intel Extreme Deliciousness
(3) GeForce GTX 780 Ti Superclocked in Tri SLi
Swiftech H220 CPU Water Cooler
64GB G.Skill 2133 Quad Channel Memory
Asus Rampage Extreme IV Black Edition
Vertex 4 256GB SSD
Velociraptor Drives
DRoBo S (5) 3TB Backup
Silverstone 1500W PSU
(3) Dell 30" 3007 TFT LED Displays
Onkyo Receiver
Bose AM7 Speaker System

:D

dc :cool:

Last edited:
not impressed.

You're missing a dedicated hardware RAID card with an 800GB Intel DCS3700 for cache and at least half a dozen 4TB enterprise-grade harddrives configured in a RAID6 array,

and four 512GB Intel datacenter-grade SSDs in RAID10,

and a 4U UPS (and possibly one or two 4U expansion battery units) with enough power to keep you gaming for at least an hour at full load while the power is out,

you done good on the monitor ... I wonder if there are any gaming-capable 4K displays out there though

am I missing anything [H]?

EDIT: Perhaps a two disk Synology with two 4TB enterprise-grade drives configured in RAID1, or a five disk Synology loaded with 4TB drives in JBOD configuration (and possibly a second unit to act as a mirror ... or instead of second unit do it in RAID6 and use online enterprise-grade backup storage for a second tier of backup) ... and possibly magnetic tape backups for third tier long-term backups

EDIT2: "Corsair 900D Case" -- on second thought, better ditch that and get a quality half-height server rack. What networking equipment do you have OP? Let's talk about that too :D

EDIT3: "Bose AM7 Speaker System" -- I feel we are lacking here. Any audio engineers want to offer their advice? Me personally, I'm thinking your audio system isn't enough of this:
maxell-cassette-tape-chair-man.jpg

Last edited:
not impressed.

You're missing a dedicated hardware RAID card with an 800GB Intel DCS3700 for cache and at least half a dozen 4TB enterprise-grade harddrives configured in a RAID6 array,

and a 4U UPS (and possibly one or two 4U expansion battery units) with enough power to keep you gaming for at least an hour at full load while the power is out,

you done good on the monitor ... I wonder if there are any gaming-capable 4K displays out there though

EDIT: Perhaps a two disk Synology with two 4TB enterprise-grade drives configured in RAID1, or a five disk Synology loaded with 4TB drives in JBOD configuration (and possibly a second unit to act as a mirror ... or instead of second unit do it in RAID6 and use online enterprise-grade backup storage for a second tier of backup) ... and possibly magnetic tape backups for third tier long-term backups

"Am I missing Anything"......Yeah... some respect....

Thanks for the raid advice....and I certainly could add that professor...

UPS I can add at any time...need to shop around for that as I understand there are some other players out there besides APC that are coming out with some cool stuff... .but power is power....

As far as storage I forgot 1 thing I need to add... DroBo... and I have that....

However, thanks for the kudos on the monitors...I'll add the 4K's later as an upgrade... :D

"Am I missing Anything"......Yeah... some respect....

Thanks for the raid advice....and I certainly could add that professor...

UPS I can add at any time...need to shop around for that as I understand there are some other players out there besides APC that are coming out with some cool stuff... .but power is power....

As far as storage I forgot 1 thing I need to add... DroBo... and I have that....

However, thanks for the kudos on the monitors...I'll add the 4K's later as an upgrade... :D
I would have suggested more GPUs in SLI but unfortunately we all know that's a bit too far and also useless LOL

128GB RAM would be cool too, but I can easily understand some limits at play here

Need RAID card recommendation.... LOL your right on 4th GPU and I can only go to 64GB on the Black Edition... I thought that was good for RaM DriVe.... I'd love 128GB...UgH...

Set me up with a RAID card / Drive recommendation NitZ...

Need RAID card recommendation
: o

I'm using an LSI MegaRaid 9260-8I with a BBU. I have still yet to get the SSD cache software upgrade and 800GB Intel DCS3700; I'm also using 2TB WD Enterprise drives instead of 4TB because I felt 4TB / higher capacity drives might not be as reliable as the lower capacity drives (plus more data to backup and also to lose). I've got 6TB usable, five 2TB drives in RAID6. With a large enough SSD cache, it'd almost be like my 6TB RAID6 is all SSD :D

Depending on how far you want to go, you could get the 16l that supports twice as many SATA connections (twice the number of SAS ports on board).

X_X

in all honesty, your rig is juicy :D with a few more things it would make for an awesome Adobe After Effects / Premiere Pro / Lightroom & other photography software machine. I'm sure there are other good uses too

EDIT: I also have a small 40-50mm fan mounted on the heatsink of my RAID card... just because I can :D if you could manage to pull it off water cooled, extra bonus points haha

EDIT2: one of my bosses has 100mbit fiber to his home ;_; i can only get 6mbit DSL

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Dude, I want to game and do all that and then some.... I'm thinking I'll make an impact lol
lol if you have the bandwidth and time and you're into servers, hosting, administration, etc, it'd definitely make for a good TCAdmin gamehosting server :D and LAN party server

if only I had those kind of resources when I was in my teenage years

lol if you have the bandwidth and time and you're into servers, hosting, administration, etc, it'd definitely make for a good TCAdmin gamehosting server :D and LAN party server

if only I had those kind of resources when I was in my teenage years

lol yeah well... we're older than that now... and your poo pooing my celebration with all your mumbo jumbo...:D

lol yeah well... we're older than that now... and your poo pooing my celebration with all your mumbo jumbo...:D
:<

apologies.

I was more satisfied with my system when I used it for something productive, such as photography. Certainly makes a difference.

Dudes/Dudettes,

Some serious firepower has just been purchased today....I'm rolling around on the floor with 3 GTX stupid sticker sets...in blissful anticipation of the arrival of:

Corsair 900D Case
Vertex 4 256GB SSD
Velociraptor Drives
DRoBo 5S (5) 3TB Backup
Silverstone 1500W PSU
Onkyo Receiver
Bose AM7 Speaker System

:D

dc :cool:

Welcome to the food stamp line, mac 'n cheese, and top ramen life style. It's worth it.

Need a powered subwoofer for each channel. 7.7 surround sound. Needs to create at least a magnitude 5 earthquake.

Oh, let's not forget the steel bunker mancave as well, buried under 50 feet of rock.

not impressed.

EDIT2: "Corsair 900D Case" -- on second thought, better ditch that and get a quality half-height server rack. What networking equipment do you have OP? Let's talk about that too :D

EDIT3: "Bose AM7 Speaker System" -- I feel we are lacking here. Any audio engineers want to offer their advice? Me personally, I'm thinking your audio system isn't enough of this:
maxell-cassette-tape-chair-man.jpg

Owned.

Op- nice but not worthy of that title.

Haters gonna hate lol. But seriously I can imagine some 12 year old on Xbox live saying that title.

Owned.

Haters gonna hate lol. But seriously I can imagine some 12 year old on Xbox live saying that title.

It's not really about envy of the OP hate, but more about hate of the OP's attitude.

Owned.

It's not really about envy of the OP hate, but more about hate of the OP's attitude.

You both are kinda weird... I'm not hating on Cerulean man... I'm agreeing with most of what he is saying. As far as the title, it is a killer system in and of itself. Basically you all are talking about adding a bunch too it... and I like the 50ft bunkered man cave and ramen :D

I've wanted a system like this since I was a kid and now that I can afford something really nice I'm sharing it. I've asked a lot of people here for advice and recommendations and everyone has helped me out a great deal. So your pointed comments really are kind of weird and off color, probably trying to provoke and flame. People do that when they are either jealous or weird... I used weird because I don't know you. To everyone else, thanks for the help...really appreciate it.

Last edited:
Generator...............nuclear or solar...........your choice.:D

not impressed.

uhm, i havent kept up with speaker stuff in a while, but from my own system and reviews, B&W 600 series would be awesome paired with onkyo reciever. Both are suppose to be neutral , with the b&w speakers having some great midrange. http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speakers/Home_Audio/600_Series/686.html The bad: They are alot bigger then the bose. If you think about how sound is made by a speaker( by the movement of air), you cant really expect great sound from a little package like the bose.

I would also look at Denon recievers, they are genereally well regarded and compete very well onkyo.

I have the cm2s which is similar to cm1s and denon reciever. A really great pairing.

Last edited:
not impressed.

Boooring! This is what he needs:

Titan_M.jpg

With these as storage:
emc%20vnx%205700.png

few petabytes should do him fine. Oh yeah, don't forget the 1 Terabit fibre line, with his own backbone for the internet.

It's a great shame to have all that power running on air and an AIO cooler.... Just saying. Start at frozencpu.com and move from there.

uhm, i havent kept up with speaker stuff in a while, but from my own system and reviews, B&W 600 series would be awesome paired with onkyo reciever. Both are suppose to be neutral , with the b&w speakers having some great midrange. http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speakers/Home_Audio/600_Series/686.html The bad: They are alot bigger then the bose. If you think about how sound is made by a speaker( by the movement of air), you cant really expect great sound from a little package like the bose.

I would also look at Denon recievers, they are genereally well regarded and compete very well onkyo.

I have the cm2s which is similar to cm1s and denon reciever. A really great pairing.
A few years ago I remember watching what was maybe Mythbusters video that where they found an audio engineer who assembled these gigantic subwoofer/monitor setup that was like 8 - 12 feet tall and 5-7 feed wide per unit * 3 or 4 of these units --> took someone, put ear protection on, and let er rip. I remember that it was said that a setup like this alone costs several millions (or tens of millions?) of dollars just for these units.

I can't find the video

EDIT: it looked kind of like this, but they were doing this test outside on grass
Matterhorn_Finished_540x359.jpg

this is just an image i found on Google Images search, nothing from the video I'm talking about I think

You both are kinda weird... I'm not hating on Cerulean man... I'm agreeing with most of what he is saying. As far as the title, it is a killer system in and of itself. Basically you all are talking about adding a bunch too it... and I like the 50ft bunkered man cave and ramen :D

I've wanted a system like this since I was a kid and now that I can afford something really nice I'm sharing it. I've asked a lot of people here for advice and recommendations and everyone has helped me out a great deal. So your pointed comments really are kind of weird and off color, probably trying to provoke and flame. People do that when they are either jealous or weird... I used weird because I don't know you. To everyone else, thanks for the help...really appreciate it.

Well, your OP and title reeked of bratty "LOOK AT ME!!!" attitude, while your subsequent posts are much more reasonable "overly excited" attitude. It's the way your OP and title are written I kind of have an issue with.

But anyways, congrats on that beast of a system.

Dudes/Dudettes,

Corsair 900D Case
Vertex 4 256GB SSD
Velociraptor Drives
DRoBo 5S (5) 3TB Backup
Silverstone 1500W PSU
Onkyo Receiver
Bose AM7 Speaker System

going to rate this 3/10 for:
a) overkill PSU
b) velociraptors
c) bose
d) no keyboard, no mouse?
d) lol, bose

It's a great shame to have all that power running on air and an AIO cooler.... Just saying. Start at frozencpu.com and move from there.

dude, I'm totally with you... want to set this up first like this, then go and water-cool it. Totally testing it first on air then move to water. With the 900D case, it will be easy.

going to rate this 3/10 for:
a) overkill PSU
b) velociraptors
c) bose
d) no keyboard, no mouse?
d) lol, bose

That PSU is one of the best out there - 3 GTX 780's will pull nearly 850-900 watts. If I ever want to add any additional items I can, and its nice to have some leftover power. Plus that is one hell of a quality PSU. Which you can't even find over 1000+ quality PSU's like Silverstone and Corsair and Ultra...everywhere they are sold out...

Wow, talk about a dream machine... Out of curiosity, what did the total come to?

Thanks very much for the nice comment. It is really and I am pleased. I try to upgrade most of my system every 4-5 years if I can. You can probably dissect the parts and google them for fun then take a calculator and add em up nice :D

Those components. lol I do not see anything interesting. You bought a 2006 monitor and trying to show off in 2014?

'Murica

Those components. lol I do not see anything interesting. You bought a 2006 monitor and trying to show off in 2014?

'Murica

I think he may try to defend it as a top of the line mofo monitor. Truth is its a few generations old.

any reason you went with those monitors op?

The words 'Hubris' and 'Bluster' come to mind. Kinda like the 'I'm gonna build a 16 core system in 2016, whatta you guys think? ' threads I see so often.

A few years ago I remember watching what was maybe Mythbusters video that where they found an audio engineer who assembled these gigantic subwoofer/monitor setup that was like 8 - 12 feet tall and 5-7 feed wide per unit * 3 or 4 of these units --> took someone, put ear protection on, and let er rip. I remember that it was said that a setup like this alone costs several millions (or tens of millions?) of dollars just for these units.

I can't find the video

EDIT: it looked kind of like this, but they were doing this test outside on grass
this is just an image i found on Google Images search, nothing from the video I'm talking about I think

Yeah, i simpliefied it a little to much, but the gist is there.. I would like to see that video, and trying to find it now.

Back