Killzone E3 2007 New Media... (Yes, real in-game stuff)

I have to say, the first screenshot up near the fire and smoke looks terribly fake... Kind of like a 2d background... anyone else notice that?

Hopefully it ends up being a good seller for the PS3...

regardless, they would have been spending the early stages of "development" with writing, storyboards, design etc. even before they would have had the SDK.

Whatever. Either way, they were working on it, and graphical work had begun. Bottom line, it looks great, even though it's not even close to the target render, it still looks really nice, so stop bitching :)

Whatever. Either way, they were working on it, and graphical work had begun. Bottom line, it looks great, even though it's not even close to the target render, it still looks really nice, so stop bitching :)

nah i wasnt trying to make it a reply to you, just to the other poster that its quite likely its been in dev for more than 2 years.

sorry for the confusion.

i think after the whole "its real gameplay" debacle of 2005, this game deserves to be looked @ with a fine tooth comb. they set themselves up for this.

For the naysayers:

(Click to enlarge)

Aside from the soldiers' faces and the fire effects being off from the 2005 trailer, it looks damn close.

Idk, it could be a dumbed down cgi video. We'll have to see later to know for sure. Some of the effects could be realtime but i'm not totally sure about all of them :).

Idk, it could be a dumbed down cgi video. We'll have to see later to know for sure. Some of the effects could be realtime but i'm not totally sure about all of them :).
Uh, they were playing it live on the two center screens @ the conference. The left and rightmost screens were playing footage from the trailer, which is basically a gameplay montage.

For the naysayers:

I think that it proves the point that it doesn't even look close, especially when you compare facial features (you can't tell in the pictures, but the expressions and the way they talk is 100% better in the 2005 video), The old one had beautiful volumetric clouds, deeper and higher polygon backgrounds, and much smoother animations, among other things. It doesn't begin to compare to the old one.

I think that it proves the point that it doesn't even look close, especially when you compare facial features (you can't tell in the pictures, but the expressions and the way they talk is 100% better in the 2005 video), The old one had beautiful volumetric clouds, deeper and higher polygon backgrounds, and much smoother animations, among other things. It doesn't begin to compare to the old one.

I do ish agree....You have picked out the exact things that fault it for not coming close.
Yet the exterior images (or buildings) are just as good, some faults, but that can be to different shots, along with the clothing/weaponry is very close.

Also lighting in the comparison is a large factor in picking out the differences, thus making it hard to do a 1:1 comparison.

Seeing all of the side-by-side comparisons of the 05 CG trailer and this one, it is clear that they are going to surpass that CG creation by quite a bit. They already have in many aspects and this is only a pre-pre-alpha build. Get that texture streaming and better particle effects working and this is going to be something that seperates the PS3 from 'other' consoles.

Well done Sony, or more specifically, the team of Killzone 2.

What's with this 'pre-pre-alpha' term being thrown around lately? It's either before Alpha, in Alpha or after Alpha. Adding an extra 'pre' in there doesn't make it sound more impressive, just stupid.

What's with this 'pre-pre-alpha' term being thrown around lately? It's either before Alpha, in Alpha or after Alpha. Adding an extra 'pre' in there doesn't make it sound more impressive, just stupid.

Because it came straight from a devs mouth. :rolleyes:

Here is an image I compiled using the shots the previously posted comparison picture. I did this quickly, but it will show the various shortcomings of the new version:

BTW, I did not alter the pics in anyway

Ok well aside from the game's obvious good looks, it also needs to have some great gameplay. More power to them if they can deliver in that department.

Here is an image I compiled using the shots the previously posted comparison picture. I did this quickly, but it will show the various shortcomings of the new version:

BTW, I did not alter the pics in anyway

Christ, you're just nitpicking. If I was to take that original Halo 3 teaser where he throws that shield grenade or whatever, and compare it to newer shots, there would be vast differences as well when it comes to textures, environments, etc.

The CG representation of their hopes of what Killzone 2 was supposed to look like is just that... a CG representation of what they hoped to achieve. Granted, they fell short in a few areas, but for the most part, it's damn close, AND the game is still a ways off from release.
In motion, the game is a marvel to look at. The atmosphere, ambiance, mood, whatever you want to call it is stunning... I just wish I got to see more of the guy playing on stage, but G4 cut to the trailer for some reason. :(

So here we have a case of one comparison took the worst of the 05 trailer and the best of the 07 and put them together. And with the other we have the very best of the 05 trailer and the very worst of the 07 trailer. At least that is what it seems like to me.

So here we have a case of one comparison took the worst of the 05 trailer and the best of the 07 and put them together. And with the other we have the very best of the 05 trailer and the very worst of the 07 trailer. At least that is what it seems like to me.

I used the pictures in what you are calling "the worst of the 05 trailer and the best of the 07". Most of the comparisons are from the pictures that were right next to each other to begin with.

I'm not saying Killzone looks bad, but it's a far cry from what Sony PROMISED. And there is no way that the new version looks better than the old, no matter what people try to say.

every game would look like "shit" under close scrutiny like that.

games are a whole picture/sum of all the parts affair. if you took a little six inch section of texture ouf of any game, its not going to impress.

every game would look like "shit" under close scrutiny like that.

games are a whole picture/sum of all the parts affair. if you took a little six inch section of texture ouf of any game, its not going to impress.

That's not the point I was trying to make, if you'd take a closer look to what was compared you'd see the the tiny details like hair, lighting, faces, expressions, fire, smoke, and most textures are nerfed compared to the almost perfect 2005 video. They're trying to tout this game as the CG video that was 2 years ago, but it isn't because at this point in time it is impossible to have graphics that clean, clear and crisp on a console.

I used the pictures in what you are calling "the worst of the 05 trailer and the best of the 07". Most of the comparisons are from the pictures that were right next to each other to begin with.

I'm not saying Killzone looks bad, but it's a far cry from what Sony PROMISED. And there is no way that the new version looks better than the old, no matter what people try to say.

Oh sorry I guess you did, I didnt notice because of the zoom.

Damn I am pissed that sony promised... wait what was the promise?

Anyway I think some people are in damage control over the fact that the game is simply awesome with the release comming next year.

BTW awesome lighting effects.
newkillzone11.jpg

awesome scope! looks real!
newkillzone10.jpg

I love how the fire affects the gun modle!
4z1l1l5.gif

Good use of blur imo
newkillzone8.jpg

Also this HAS to be the best if not one of the very best animated shooters ever. Sure texture work and art work are in the eye of the beholder. But looking at this gif you can see that nothing is thrown away in terms of animation and no shortcuts taken. You can see the full jump,and impact like you would expect with the landing impact being distributed. Awesomenessssss.

4knruc3.gif

I think he took it to heart when Sony said that it was in-game footage 2 years ago.
I've watched/read up on, etc. on all 12 E3's, and there's some things you can believe, and many things you shouldn't. When Sony said that it was in-game footage, it was clear that this was one of those things you shouldn't believe. It was clearly CG footage, and anyone who actually believed it was in-game is (sorry) a retard.
Like I said, I think he's one of those that really took it to heart.... either that or an Sony hater that's really going out of his way to make Killzone 2 look as bad as possible.

That the e3 2005 video was game play... (they promise a lot of shit and don't deliver, but that's for another time).

I never said the game looks bad, as a matter of fact it looks pretty damn good, but it's not as good as in the e3 2005 trailer, and that's all I tried to say and people got all defensive.

Me or one of my buddies will probably buy this game (I'll be in an apartment with a Wii, 360 and PS3), if it gets decent ratings.

I think he took it to heart when Sony said that it was in-game footage 2 years ago.
I've watched/read up on, etc. on all 12 E3's, and there's some things you can believe, and many things you shouldn't. When Sony said that it was in-game footage, it was clear that this was one of those things you shouldn't believe. It was clearly CG footage, and anyone who actually believed it was in-game is (sorry) a retard.
Like I said, I think he's one of those that really took it to heart.... either that or an Sony hater that's really going out of his way to make Killzone 2 look as bad as possible.

For one, I never believed it, and I remember saying that here on [H] when the video came out, but many Sony lovers fought tooth and nail about the validity of the video. This stuck with me because I still remember how PS2 hurt Dreamcast by saying that it would be 2x better and have Toy Story like graphics. I guess Sony has now been humbled (due to current PS3 sales), which was clearly shown in their conference this year and I'm beginning to believe that they are finally changing their ways, even if it is out of necessity.

It's nice but nothing that hasn't been seen with Gears of War before it. Still, it looks very nice.

But I prefer the lush and alive environments of Halo and CoD4. To me, those environments are loads more difficult to render and make beautiful than another closed-in, rubble-filled, grey, brown and black environment.

It's nice but nothing that hasn't been seen with Gears of War before it. Still, it looks very nice.

Sorry, maybe i missed it in GoW the 5 times i played through it, but at what part did it have animations/physics as life like as Killzone 2 is showing? Killzone seems to be upping the ante on the immersion, believability factor in game.

Sorry, maybe i missed it in GoW the 5 times i played through it, but at what part did it have animations/physics as life like as Killzone 2 is showing? Killzone seems to be upping the ante on the immersion, believability factor in game.

The animations are very nice, probably a little nicer than Gears.

But they're not as impressive than the stuff I saw in CoD4 and the environments in CoD blow Killzone out of the water IMO.

Though I'm still plenty worried about the H3 animations. They looked awfully choppy to me.

Why is anybody comparing the actual gameplay to CGI footage? That's so stupid. While you're at it, why don't you complain that every final fantasy game ever made, never looked as good as it's CGI trailer, or preview?

Everybody knew that footage from E3 2005 was CGI, but even then they said it was a close representation to what you will see in actual gameplay. And, you'd be blind to say that they didn't deliver. Especially this early in development for the game. The bottom line is, this is what people with a PS3 have been waiting to see. The game looks great, the effects are nice, and the action looks very cool. Not to mention I saw real-time environment damage when they were shooting at each other, and the column the guy was taking cover behind, was breaking off pretty realistically, and what's the most notable feature, is the nearly fluid gameplay. Virtually no drop in frame rate. Even with the walls crumbling, and all the effects happening, the battle was still taking place in another angle.

Back