Kilowatt (1000W) Enermax Galaxy @ Hexus

Ice Czar

Inscrutable
http://www.hexus.net/content/beanz/beanz.php?dXJsX3Jldmlld19JRD0xNDk1

for the certifiably insane :p

In fact, other than rocking up a huge electricity bill, it’s hard to see how you’re ever going to need 1000W inside your machine. Unless you’re a modding freak with five SATA drives, loads of lighting, fans and a pair of 7800s inside your machine with a kettle, electric fire and table saw attached to the USB you have to wonder why you'd need a 1000W PSU… but of course, you could just be future proofing, or compensating for something…

this is an EPS12V split plane supply, much like the PCP&C 850SSI and is strickly for a massive workstation loaded for bear

IIRC, in Anandtech's review of Sun's 3U 4 way Opteron system, they measured a power draw of around 700 watts. That was at the wall, I hope. Sadly, we're really not that far away from needing 1KW PSUs for big iron.

I like the fan choice compared to the 80mm units in Zippy and PC P&C's SSI 800w and 850w offerings, but it remains to be seen if Enermax can keep up with either ;)

And Fortron's not too far behind - the current test at Tom's had them running a suspicious new Aopen 700w rated at 4 x 15A @ 12v (combined rating 50A). A little googling and some perusal of Fortron's UL page revealed they are still Aopen's OEM on that 700w, and there's a 650w little sister to it.

well i don't know, we might be getting close to that point for power requirements on the desktop. I mean, the new WD 400gb raptors will be released by this fall. And isn't ATi's crossfire have a somewhat larger power consumption than nvidia's SLI?

What I really like to know is how much this is going to cost when it releases in October.

Mmmeeehhh......just waiting for my nuclear reactor....that will be something....

Yeh but don't you already glow in the dark? :p

gitd_masks.jpg

Ice Czar said:
Yeh but don't you already glow in the dark? :p

gitd_masks.jpg

My radiation badge is still clean....for now :p

When it turns black and the radiation safety officer drops by for a chat I will worry :eek:

sweet jesus...

My question is, how the hell do you dissipate 1000W of heat from a computer case, in the rare event that you might actually put a full load this supply?

Ice Czar said:
I'll send you a pair of lead foil underwear for Christmas :p

Can you make it the non chaffing kind?

gee said:
sweet jesus...

My question is, how the hell do you dissipate 1000W of heat from a computer case, in the rare event that you might actually put a full load this supply?

Easy:
house3zn.jpg

Hey Spectre, is that the 92 meter Vantec Tornado? Cooling 1000 watts isn't too bad. Sun was able to do over 600 watts with 8 60mm fans in a 3U rackmount chassis. I'd imagine a desktop case with plenty of 120mm fans and a nearby air conditioner could keep 1000 watts worth of parts within acceptable operational limits.

DougLite said:
Hey Spectre, is that the 92 meter Vantec Tornado?

I'd hate to be so serious... but that's a Coolermaster. :)

Oh.. and it looks like I'm going to have to retire from reviewing power supplies. How the hell do I load test THAT?!?!

The largest power comes from the 12 volt lines. 12 volts times 18 amps is 216 watts. So just get yourself some high-wattage power resistors and a cooling fan.

How do you load test power supplies now? 850 watts isn't much less than 1000 watts.

mikeblas said:
The largest power comes from the 12 volt lines. 12 volts times 18 amps is 216 watts. So just get yourself some high-wattage power resistors and a cooling fan.

How do you load test power supplies now? 850 watts isn't much less than 1000 watts.
www.slcentral.com

And I don't think jonny has gotten anything that big yet...the zeus was the largest.

Sorry... We used to have a product line called TRÜ and I got REALLY used to doing the ALT 0 2 2 0.

That and I was president of the Nena fan club. Had to use the umlaut quite a bit on the lyrics page.

Like Nena's cover of Thomas Dolby's "Blinded Me With Science"

"Achtung Fräulein Rückmännerstein! You look wunderbar!"

Back