Kind of silly but where do you guys place your PC on the floor or on your desk?

Where do you place your PC on the floor or desk?

• On the floor for no particular reason.

Votes: 32 23.5%
  • On the floor for a technical reason.

Votes: 39 28.7%
  • On the desk for no particular reason.

Votes: 15 11.0%
  • On the desk for a technical reason like less dust.

Votes: 50 36.8%

• Total voters

LGabrielPhoto

2[H]4U
So I am trying to find out if the floor or the desk is the dominant location and reasons for your choice.

I chose the floor for a few reasons.

1. My p182 is rather large and would look a bit silly
2. I would be afraid of something (acts of good/beer) knocking it over
3. Desk space is more of a premium than floor space
4. I very rarely even touch computer
5. Hiding the wires is easier.

probably more but unless it was small and windowed perhaps, the floor is the way to go imo.

3 of my systems are on the floor.. 1 is on the top shelf of my closet.. and the htpc is in my entertainment center.. i have dual display so theres no room to put either of my 90 pound computers on my desk..

floor because desk space is not worth wasting on something like a huge tower

So far is a clean victory for floor. I have been using mine on the floor since I started with computer but with I have seen some users now going with the desktop to show off their bling bling. :)

Where's both? I guess I'll choose floor, since most of my systems are on the floor (3). The only ones on my desk is the SFF system and the caseless system (bench test/techstation system). ;) As already stated, my primary reason is desk real estate. However, if on the floor, I like to elevate it for better airflow to the bottom vents and a bit less dust.

I was gonna put it on a piece of wood under my desk, but I changed my mind because I didn't want to sacrifice the legroom, and I didn't want the dog snoopin' around it.

Mine's on the floor because there's absolutely no room for it on my desk. My brother, however, keeps his on his desk because the desk is big enough and so that the side vents aren't obstructed.

My computer is on a phone book on the floor.

The 2" distance from the floor (phone book) significantly reduces dust pick-up.

Edit:
Even if there was room on a desk and there was no risk of accidents and I did not care about how it looked, I would not put it right on the desk. Dust collects on desks too.

Mine is on the secondary part of my desk,
cube-case.jpg

On the desk for no particular reason.

My mid tower faces sideways, with the back facing myself. So the air in back is passing though the right and not forward back.

On desk top.
Less dust and easier to just flop over onto it's side for the ocassional surgery, rather than crawl under the desk and unhook everything.

On the floor = less noise because your computer's not at ear level (on desk).
On the desk = more floorspace, which isn't a luxury for some of us. :)()

I voted for "on desk" which is where it is.

Not only because of the less dust (actually not a problem despite being in the basement) I have a mATX desktop case and it's to small to sit on the floor.

On the desk. since I live in Florida its better for me to have it on the desk so when a hurricane comes, it doesn't get flooded. Never been before but its better safe then sorry.

floor for the technical reason of a cooler master haf won't fit on my desk. i wish i could have it off the ground tho so it didn't get quite as dusty.

on the desk, but my desk has a spot that looks like it was designed for a computer (raised 10 in long platform, not good for anything else) desite my case being rather large. Silverstone TJ-10

on the desk, but my desk has a spot that looks like it was designed for a computer (raised 10 in long platform, not good for anything else) desite my case being rather large. Silverstone TJ-10

That case deserves a better desk. :X

mine was on my desk, but then my missus whinged about it, so now its on the floor.

On the floor. I have little room on my desk, so if I were to put it there I am paranoid an earthquake would knock it down, surely destroying it.

I have a huge desk so I have my CM 830 on the desk along with my printer, 2 21" CRTs, 2 Free Agent Pro 500gb, and a set of speakers. Under the desk I have my CM 690. I could put both under the desk but the problem I found was it was in my way since I tend to sit at an angle so I can watch tv also. I originally put my main system on my desk to avoid dust and cat hair after seeing how dusty the floor under my desk gets. It probably doesn't help one of my cats sleeps on the subwoofer.

On the floor, but technically it's on a 1/4 in board that rests on the floor. I do this because my flooring is carpet and it get's pretty darn dusty sometimes. Desk space is a higher priority than floor space.

Floor, because its much quieter.. I can pick out every sound if I have it on my desk.

I have placed my PC on top of a heavy audio rack next to my desk, to be able to use my 360 on my monitors and have my PC audio routed through my receiver/surround system. So really, it's not on my floor or my desk.

On a small desk (height wise) next to my desk just so I don't have to reach down to pop in a flash drive or put in a cd/dvd or something.

Having the usb jacks and such on the top of cases was the best move manufacturers have done in a long time

This is a lot closer than I thought!
Thanks guys.
I decied to test mine on the desk to see how it goes. I really like how imposing the HAF looks on my desk which thankfully is quite big.
Makes the 26" LCD looks smaller. Im already liking how easy it is to mess with the case instead of going under the desk.
Now my Xbox 360 and my high end cd player with digital correction units are under the desk (the desk has an area for a desktop computer with a metal frame that is two inches from the floor).
Hopefully now dust would not be such a problem with the HAF.
I even bought an air purifier to place next to it but at least on the floor, it didnt help too much...my air smells good now! lol
Regards

I've got mine on the desk too. Go figure, I have a Cosmos S on the desk and an Antec nsk1380 on the floor. You would think that would be opposite. I like the easy access to the inside of the computer on top of the desk and the small server stays well hidden tucked up under the desk.

Mine is not technically on the desk, but its definitely not on the floor. I sit my tower on the window sill right next to my desk. I don't have any floor space near my desk and the window sill is the best place.

On an end table that sits right next to my desk. All-in-one printer unit already takes up significant desk real estate.

I keep mine on a book case right next to my desk because if it is on the floor, I would probably kick it and I guess dust could be an issue.

Also, my case has a window, so it wouldn't make sense to hide it on the floor vs. having it displayed on my bookshelf. Wire management is a non issue since all the wires are easily wrapped into a bundle and run straight down and out of the way.

If I had a full tower, I would have it on the floor for sure though, but mine's only a mid tower.

I've got a dog and a cat so the only option is to have it on the desk. Otherwise it would fill with hair and dust particles in no time. Also, if it was on the floor, me or the dog might accidentally the whole system.
It's a bit noisier that way but my system is fairly quiet so it's not a big deal.

I keep my systems (workstation, server1, 2, crashboxes and HTPC) all on shelves (70+ cm off the floor) to make them easier accessible and keep dust out. A system sitting on the floor is more of a vacuum cleaner.

I have computer on desk, lesser dust and you can use it faster than like it's on the floor.

On the floor. Some cases are huge and mine is one of them. It's just flat out too big to be on my desk.

I have it on a hardwood floor though. If I was on carpeting I'd probably stick a piece of wood just big enough to cover the bottom of the case under it. That way I can limit contact with dirt, dust, and the carpet itself while keeping it from being an eyesore.

I had my old Sonata case up on my desk for the longest time since I was always swapping something in and out of it and undoing/redoing all the cables would have been a major pain.

However, having said that, now that I've built a new box it's on the floor with all the wiring tucked up along the bottom rails of my desk for a neater look and a net gain of 2 sq ft of precious desk space.

I keep mine on my desk beside the window so when I'm up all night, the sun rises up a and the light bounces of the beautiful brushed aluminum exterior of my lian li and these magical rays proceed to tickle my soul and make me laugh like a school girl until a fall on the floor of sheer exhaustion. No sane person should ever keep a lian li on the ground.

mine is on my desk always, because i like to look at the stuff through the side window lol.

Back