Kinda Hot: 32" 720P HDTV $399

Krypton

Supreme [H]ardness
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on this for the bedroom. Came to $449.XX shipped (w Tax) for me. Purchased with certain credit card that doubles the warranty for free. I saw the TV this AM at my local Frys and it looks good.

http://www.frys.com/product/5175456

Wow.... Im super temped to bite. Need something for my bedroom.

I've been kicking myself ever since I missed that 42in Samsung Plasma at buy.com for $899.

Not to threadcrap, but I'm finding that cheap LCD TVs are, well, cheap. The last three I've seen have horrific ghosting in SDTV, in spite of having all the right specs.

BB

Yea... I just read some posts on other forums about Emprex. Seems like Its a frys brand? People said the contrast sucks, and they are riddled with dead pixels.

Not to threadcrap, but I'm finding that cheap LCD TVs are, well, cheap. The last three I've seen have horrific ghosting in SDTV, in spite of having all the right specs.

BB
Cheap LCDs are well Cheap.. Thank you captain obvious. Some cheap regular TVs are still pieces of crap too, you get what you pay for. I have a lower end 26in LCD myself I got it for like $699 cdn cpl years ago. Yeah it's not the best but hey it's cheap! I think if you want a thin TV that wont set you back it's the way to go. I mean 26" TV thats 33lbs and can fit in any car easy why not. $399 for a 32inch is an awesome deal especially for people going a way to college or whatever.

In my experience, cheap LCD TVs are horrifically bad.

Like.. really, really, really bad. Unwatchable bad. So bad your grandmother says "what's wrong with your TV" bad.

Contrast this with cheap CRTs that were always entirely decent.

Buyer beware. Don't buy a cheap LCD without looking at it in person first.

I purchased two of them. For $399 I think is a great deal. I'll post more when i get them.

In my experience, cheap LCD TVs are horrifically bad.

Like.. really, really, really bad. Unwatchable bad. So bad your grandmother says "what's wrong with your TV" bad.

Contrast this with cheap CRTs that were always entirely decent.

Buyer beware. Don't buy a cheap LCD without looking at it in person first.
Exactly, I went to a Fry's and was quite disappointed in the Olevia offerings. Minutes of fiddling couldn't get the colors right, I could plainly see interlacing artifacts and motion-blurring (mistakenly known as ghosting) without even trying. Even Westinghouse screens look better (addendum: worded incorrectly, caused baby kittens to suddenly fall dead and world hunger to increase ten fold).

I shy away from off-brand TVs. But for that price, it would be ideal for someone who needs a TV to get by, such as a college student or someone living temp. in an apt.

I bought a no-name brand TV last summer, Sylvania, which does the job, but lacks a lot of polished features I was used to with name brand TVs, such as Sony, etc. (Disclosure: I'm no longer a fan of Sony for other reasons.)

I shy away from off-brand TVs. But for that price, it would be ideal for someone who needs a TV to get by, such as a college student or someone living temp. in an apt.

I bought a no-name brand TV last summer, Sylvania, which does the job, but lacks a lot of polished features I was used to with name brand TVs, such as Sony, etc. (Disclosure: I'm no longer a fan of Sony for other reasons.)

sylvania isn't really a no name brand... just a no name for LCDs.

This is sort of tempting. I fall under the poor person needing a tv category.

sylvania isn't really a no name brand... just a no name for LCDs.

This is sort of tempting. I fall under the poor person needing a tv category.

You're right, Sylvania is big for light bulbs, etc. In fact, I just bought Sylvania bulbs for my car's headlights. I meant no-name for TVs, like Polaroid, etc. (Many will say Polaroid is not a no-name brand, but I say it is for TVs.)

Exactly, I went to a Fry's and was quite disappointed in the Olevia offerings. Minutes of fiddling couldn't get the colors right, I could plainly see interlacing artifacts and motion-blurring (mistakenly known as ghosting) without even trying. Even Westinghouse screens look better.

ummm, yeah, whatever.:rolleyes: My 37" westy 1080p looked beautiful with SD DVDs, when the cable guy came yesterday and I tuned in discoveryHD it was fucking stunning.

I've seen the TV in the OP in action at several different fry's, and although I know they may not be set up correctly, every time i have seen this TV, no matter the signal feed to it (HD or SD) it looked to be such bad PQ it just isn't worth it.

save your money, buy a smaller but higher quality TV, or at least be able to take this one back if you are unhappy with it.:eek:

I was about to respond to that too. Everyone I know who's seen my WH has been impressed. I too to this day get all teary eyed when I watch some good ol HDTV :)

And of course it's a great fucking monitor.

And he says...
Even Westinghouse screens look better
hah!!

ummm, yeah, whatever.:rolleyes: My 37" westy 1080p looked beautiful with SD DVDs, when the cable guy came yesterday and I tuned in discoveryHD it was fucking stunning.

I've seen the TV in the OP in action at several different fry's, and although I know they may not be set up correctly, every time i have seen this TV, no matter the signal feed to it (HD or SD) it looked to be such bad PQ it just isn't worth it.

save your money, buy a smaller but higher quality TV, or at least be able to take this one back if you are unhappy with it.:eek:

After the sales guy and I worked on the settings a little, the picture was very nice. It is not 1080p, but compared with the other 32" 720p TVs on the same aile, it was holding its own. The sales guy was really honest and when he got through adjusting it, he was suprised as was I. To each his own. If this thing does not workout, I will get my money back on Ebay.

After the sales guy and I worked on the settings a little, the picture was very nice. It is not 1080p, but compared with the other 32" 720p TVs on the same aile, it was holding its own. The sales guy was really honest and when he got through adjusting it, he was suprised as was I. To each his own. If this thing does not workout, I will get my money back on Ebay.

This TV is 1080i

Not Found

The requested URL /;jsessionid=tqC68zyCtNKA+V-TC8bxMA**.node2 was not found on this server.

SOLD OUT!

They don't have them anymore :(

I'm glad I got two. Hopefully they don't suck like half the people who don't have them say they do. :p

Is this any good to use as a computer monitor?
Thanks

No way. For something this size, you want 1080p for a computer monitor. Unless you plan on using your computer from the opposite side of the room, such as w/ a wireless mouse and keyboard.

dont dog all lower priced tvs.

my vizio 50" plasma looks pretty damn good. i bought a samsung and a panasonic 60u but i ended up just keeping the vizio.

better overall performance

dont dog all lower priced tvs.

my vizio 50" plasma looks pretty damn good. i bought a samsung and a panasonic 60u but i ended up just keeping the vizio.

better overall performance
I own a Maxent 50" plasma which I thought was just narrowly better than the Vizio at the same price point.

Neither compares to the 60U though.

I own a Maxent 50" plasma which I thought was just narrowly better than the Vizio at the same price point.

Neither compares to the 60U though.

dont get me wrong the 60u was a damn good TV. the black levels were a tad better than the vizio but the SD on panny was not as good as the viz. HD content was nearly identical on all three.

Looks like I am SOL. I got mine today, and the screen was damaged. I don't think it was from the shipper (DHL), but from the factory. Frys.com has -7 in stock, and no local stores have any so Fry's is going to give me a refund. :rolleyes:

topcat989 & Pkirk618, sorry about getting your panties in a wad, I meant price-wise, they are the best deals if anyone is concerned about PQ, I already know this. Just trying to express some disgust in the Olevias because I've heard praises of them as well...

Back