Kinda warm, NEC Display is selling some refurb for cheap

I have a viewsonic vx2235 or some such currently. 22" TN I believe. I'm looking at the ea261wm in this NEC sale which is also a TN. Is there a significant difference between TN's from different manufacturer's? Can I expect the NEC to be any better quality than my viewsonic other than the increase in size/resolution?

I got the remotes, and pretty much all the cables, but not an DVI cables. How do you check the amount of hours on the panels?

I think it's somewhere in the on screen menu. Haven't found any step by step instructions online.

Wow I wish I never saw those screens... They've been running a LONG time...

3308H 06M
7240H 36M

I guess thats why they're refurbished?

3300 hours, assuming 6 hours /day puts that one at about 550 days old.
7200 hours, about 1200 days old, so maybe 3.5 years.

I think they replace the bulbs during refurbishment, so it shouldn't be a huge deal.

Wow I wish I never saw those screens... They've been running a LONG time...

3308H 06M
7240H 36M

I guess thats why they're refurbished?

20WMGX2s? The refurb I got a year ago (not from NEC) was in that ballpark.

Just FYI sleep is counted in that number. So it does not mean the display was on for that long.

Going to show this deal to my parents. They have a 20.1" Princeton which is currently dying (have to hold the power button to turn it on, otherwise it power cycles).

FinalAura, you said it looked almost new? Might grab one of those if that is the case. :)

Yeah, there are some blemishes, but nothing wrong with the screens themselves. On one of the monitors, the speaker is a little discolored, but thats just nit picking.

I couldnt resist and ordered a 20wmgx2. I bought a refurb about a year or so ago from directron. It was perfect and only had 4 hours on it. I ended up giving it to my roommate a while ago cause I already had a 2007wfp. Hope this one is as good as the other refurb I bought. It will be here tomorrow.

3300 hours, assuming 6 hours /day puts that one at about 550 days old.
7200 hours, about 1200 days old, so maybe 3.5 years.

I think they replace the bulbs during refurbishment, so it shouldn't be a huge deal.

Good to know. Thanks.

I jumped on a 20wmgx2 to today. For the price you can't beat it. Especially considering the sorry state of today's low cost LG IPS panels.

mine has 7448h41m so im thinking if i should get two just in case mine wont match one with a new bulb ?

What's the dead pixel policy when buying monitors from NEC like this? Very interested in 2 20WMGX2, but I'd rather have a 23-24+ and a 20WMGX2. I saw the one monitor that is supposedly IPS and 23" is 1080p, is the screen size actually 16:9 or are they just forcing the resolution to 16:9?

If the screens native resolution is a 16:9 ratio then the screen is physically 16:9 as well. If you're referring to the EA231WMi then it isn't "supposedly" IPS, it IS IPS, period. There's a huge thread about it in the display forum.

You guys are making my life miserable :D.

I was almost set to buy 19" Asus TN LED. I need 'something' only to watch some movies/tv shows on, and now I'm having 2nd thoughts.... I've already own 20WMGX2 and after 2+ years it is going strong. :D The only problem I'll have to drive 50miles down to US to UPS store to pick it up. However I still think LCD is worth the trip...

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but what is the warranty on 20WMGX2?

Just got my 20WMGX's. One of them is fucked up on the DVI input. The screen is gyrating like it is looking for a resolution or something. I have both screens set up to 1680x1050 and this happens ONLY on the DVI. The VGA input looks fine. The other monitor looks good.

I guess I'll call NEC.

:(

EDIT: NEC is cross-shipping me another one, and they're paying for everything. No complaints. Pretty good CS, if you ask me. Hopefully the replacement is as immaculate as the good one I received today.

Last edited:
Got mine. Has 215hrs 50 mins. I am very happy with one. Perfect. The last refurb I got about a year ago had only 4 hours. Guess I'm lucky.

Mine came with an MRA label inside that said I have till 12/28 to send the defective part back. What is up with that? DId anyone else get this?

I just called them and they said to ignore the return. No dead or stuck pixels and no backlight bleed. This thing is a gem.

Last edited:
Wow you get the least used model refurbs. Lucky! Yeah mine had the MRA label too and wondering what the hell that was for. Glad you cleared it up for me, haha.

NICE. Just got my two P221W's in the mail.

One has 7hrs 46min
One has 24hrs 22min

How is that for some awesome refurb action. I may just go in for another one if I can convince the wife to buy me a new video card for Christmas :))

Last edited:
EA261WM came today. Looks great and only has 18h20mins. Didn't come with any cables tho, good thing I had spare power and dvi cables laying around.

Is this ending at Xmas or before?
I'm hoping to have money left over one I get all Xmas gifts bought, I might have to pick one of these up.

Im reading reviews and it seems like the LCD2470WNX isnt good for games because of the response time.

Too bad, was really hoping to set up eyefinity with the U2410 I just bought...

just returned my 23 new nec for a second 20wmgx ,had her 3 years let me go another 3 with two now

Figured I'd add my .02 cents. Just received my 20WMGX. So far it appears to be in excellent condition. No visible wear. No dead pixels that I can tell(knock on wood). Came with power cable, VGA cable and mini to mini cable. Mine only has 36 hours on it.

I think I might have to order up another one.

Well, the first 20WMGX2 I received had probably the worst backlight bleed I've ever seen. Pity too, because there were no other problems, and no dead/stuck pixels. It's on its way back as soon as they send the return label - hopefully the replacement is of better quality. ~3500 hours on the panel in case anyone's counting.

EDIT: Here's a couple pics (excuse the pathetic quality):

pgimg9927.jpg

pgimg9928.jpg

Oh well, at least they were good about cross shipping a replacement for free (after giving me some spiel about how the warranty covers repairs only, then making me email pictures as proof, and finally having to tell me they would call back in a day when they talked to "corporate" to figure out how to process my replacement through their "system"). Another hour and a half of life wasted on the phone...

-

Last edited:
MasterTactician
Oh dude I hope mine doesnt come with back light like that , that had to come from them replacing the lamp on it

MasterTactician
Oh dude I hope mine doesnt come with back light like that , that had to come from them replacing the lamp on it

Both of mine had minimal and uniform back lighting, so don't get too worried. One of the DVI ports was shot, but that's another matter. My replacement is on the way.

Both of mine had minimal and uniform back lighting, so don't get too worried. One of the DVI ports was shot, but that's another matter. My replacement is on the way.

They didn't make you send pictures, did they? I really don't understand why they're having so much trouble processing my replacement when all of you seem to be getting one without any hassle at all. They literally told me yesterday that they didn't know how to set up a replacement for a refurbished monitor, and that they'd have to call me back today after they talked to some higher-ups to figure out how to process the request.

They didn't make you send pictures, did they? I really don't understand why they're having so much trouble processing my replacement when all of you seem to be getting one without any hassle at all. They literally told me yesterday that they didn't know how to set up a replacement for a refurbished monitor, and that they'd have to call me back today after they talked to some higher-ups to figure out how to process the request.

Talk to "Sam." He said the same thing about calling corporate and then just said "oh, here it is, let's do this."

He said they were only allowed to repair the refurbs, but like I said, he found something or figured it out and stopped talking about calling corporate. He knows how to do it, so you might want to ask for him. I don't have an extension, just his name: Sam.

EDIT: FedEx just dropped off my replacement. DVI looks good. I can't really check the backlight bleed until dark, but it seems good so far. Single dead (black) pixel, but I had to use a dead pixel finder to see it. Not a big deal. For ~$140, I'm good to go. I've never had a defect free monitor, anyway. Now I have one that is defect free and another with a single dead pixel. Pretty good, really.

Last edited:
Wow. $140 for a 20" IPS?

Does that speaker bar detach from the LCD? That's the only thing bugging me.

Aw... OOS. I was ready to buy 2!

It looks like it will let me place an order even though the webpage says OOS.
Now I'm having second thoughts because I'm used to the 1920x1200....

Real life.... Need to resist the urge.

Last edited:
Just got my new 20WMGX immaculate shape like when mine was brand new em I happy hell yes , and um now comparing it new to my 23 nec it surpasses the quality above and beyond , but now new problem its making my old 20WMGX well look old cuase of some wired yellowish tint on my old one any recomendations

Bust out the good 'ol half-water half-90% alcohol solution if it's something on the surface (I'm not sure what's best to do if it's the backlight or yellowing caused by the sun). When I got my 20WMGX last week, I noticed what looked like surface scratches and I was ready to send it back, but it turned out to be some glue residue that was on really hard. I was able to clean it off without scratching the screen, and there's 1 hard to notice stuck pixel in the corner. Good to go!

refurbs come and go. Once their inventory drops down to what they anticipate needing for warranty coverage they stop offering them.

Back