Kinect and FPS (video)

theNoid

Supreme [H]ardness
While this is still very concept type stuff, I think we're starting to see that with a little ingenuity and team of 1 or 2 guys can create some pretty impressive stuff. I think many people believe (or want to believe) that Kinect will be limited to simple hand gesture party games.

This video proves that playing FPSs are possible, even in twitch gameplay. Is it kind of weird to stand up and play like this? Sure I'd think so. Regardless the technology is starting to take off via software and if a few guys can make something like this I"m curious to see what Kinect 2.0 games start to look like later this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j9UhxtmWmA

edit. I'm looking forward to "hybrid" type games that use a standard controller + Kinect to expand on the immersion.

edit. I'm looking forward to "hybrid" type games that use a standard controller + Kinect to expand on the immersion.

Me too. I still see people making comments about how the Kinect is no good for "hardcore" games, but it's all a matter of implementation, and they Kinect is perfectly capable of combining standard controller use, with motion tracking.

I have said it before: I would love to see games where I could, for example, mimic a force choke or push or a melee move with one hand while the controller is in the other hand. MS would probably need to release a new controller for combined controls, though. With the stock controller, you can't take a hand off without losing the ability to either move or aim.

It looks Chuggy & IMO not better then a mouse. Dont get me wrong it looks cool but its going to lack the Response while Quick turning

I have said it before: I would love to see games where I could, for example, mimic a force choke or push or a melee move with one hand while the controller is in the other hand. MS would probably need to release a new controller for combined controls, though. With the stock controller, you can't take a hand off without losing the ability to either move or aim.

You wouldn't necessarily need to let go of the pad, just shack it or push it forward and the Kinect would see it.

Me too. I still see people making comments about how the Kinect is no good for "hardcore" games, but it's all a matter of implementation, and they Kinect is perfectly capable of combining standard controller use, with motion tracking.

Right and in peoples defense, we haven't seen anything (yet) that makes someone believe that more core games could/would work. However I think a large majority of haters purposely hide behind this veil as a way to tear down the device. I think anyone with an open mind, who is excited about new emerging technology can see that Kinect technically has no defined ceiling at this point, sky is the limit.

Thankfully I don't design games so I'm not going to spend time trying to think up ways to use Kinect. I have a backlog too long to even try that, its hurts my brain just thinking about it. In the meantime my Kinect gets plenty of use for Your Shape, and Kinect Sports so I'll just sit tight and wait for the next wave of software.

It looks Chuggy & IMO not better then a mouse. Dont get me wrong it looks cool but its going to lack the Response while Quick turning

I should have pointed out in my OP that I don't agree that this looks better than a mouse, that was stamped all over that video. I do think its pretty impressive tech for 1 or 2 guys to put this together however. Another thing they were not doing was straffing so I certainly don't want to get in an argument started where we start comparing Kinect to KB/M directly.

interesting, looks like the film gamer lol

Oh God, don't remind me.

Last edited:

The main problem with hardcore gamers I can see, and I can't think of how it would be resolved, is very prolonged play.

The main problem with hardcore gamers I can see, and I can't think of how it would be resolved, is very prolonged play.

This. Can you imagine playing Battlefield 3 for hours and hours like this? Not a chance, you'd suffer big time. I'm all for bringing the tech into mainstream games but I think it will be a combo of pad/accessory & Kinect.

EDIT - Just came across this, SF4 with Kinect:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCOwNT2mZuU&feature=player_embedded

Dragon Punch = lol

Last edited:
Back