Kinect patent to spy on you for the MPAA

BladeVenom

Supreme [H]ardness
This is most likely to get movies in the theater in your house. Its either that or something ridiculous

Wow, that technology is Hollywood's wet dream right that.

Anyway I'd expect that to get hacked if they ever implement it.

From the asshole name(it's the third XBox, you fucking cretins) to the inability to play used games, to this...

...they really don't want you to buy their console, do they?

From the asshole name(it's the third XBox, you fucking cretins) to the inability to play used games, to this...

...they really don't want you to buy their console, do they?

Are any of those things actually true? Other than the name, obviously.

Companies file for, and are granted patents all the time, for things that they never end up actually using. Hopefully this is one of those situations. Unfortunately, with how ridiculous the MPAA is, I wouldn't be shocked if this happens.

When you think about it though, it'd be so incredibly easy to circumvent this thing by just turning the camera. Maybe the movie won't play if it detects nobody in the room (so turning the camera all the way around won't work), but if I just turn it slightly so a few people end up off frame, it thinks there's less people in the room. This just seems like something that would be entirely too easy to fool, and that this was just them getting a patent so their competition couldn't.

You have to deactivate the game from your XBOX to allow your buddy to play it. Then there is a "fee" for him to install it on his. Now if you bring the game back to your XBOX I don't know if there is an additional fee, but I wouldn't be surprised. Also, you have to hook your XBOX to the internet every 24 hours to use the machine to play games. After 24 hours you lose your authorization to play games on it. But you just need to plug it back into an internet source to authorize it again.

So basically most people that don't live in cities are fucked as there isn't even cellphone service 5 miles from my location. No cable lines. There is 14kbps dial up though. I'd like to see the XBOX run off that shit. Nobody buys satellite as it's more of a pain in the ass than a service. 3,000 ping is a bitch. Websites time out more than they connect sometimes.

Of course someone is going to tell me that it's my fault that I live near farmers that sell produce to the cities. Whatever. A large part of the population does too so I don't feel bad. :)

It's just a patent.

And if you look at the actual document, it appears that their design covers multiple license types.

If you read into it a little further, it suggests that they may be licensing content slightly different. Right now, I pay $5 to rent a movie for my whole family to watch it. But what if my options were to rent it for $2 for just me? This patent would allow microsoft to validate that you're not buying the license for a single viewer and the whole family is watching it.

Well that all sounds unappealing to me but I dont need an Xone to watch movies. Albeit I'm gonna miss-out on having to get off the couch, walk in front of coffee table and in the middle of a large crowd and say outloud, "Xbox movie".

Rather than change inputs on with my tv remote and press play on my blu-ray remote...from the couch.

Well, let's review.

1. Name - you concede it's true.
2. Used games - you will not be able to take someone else's game and play it on your system without paying a fee.
3. The third thing is the original topic.

So, in effect, you were asking if it was true that the XBox One(Three) will not play used games.

Yes, it is.

:cool:

It's just a patent.

That's the equivalent of saying "It's just a law".

Sure, it's "just" whatever...until they apply it.

Right now, I pay $5 to rent a movie for my whole family to watch it. But what if my options were to rent it for $2 for just me?

What if you pay that $2 and the movie starts...and then your kid runs in and plops himself on your lap? Your movie is interrupted, and you have to pay more money. Then the kid runs off five minutes after you've done so.

You really don't see the potential for stupidity?

You have to deactivate the game from your XBOX to allow your buddy to play it. Then there is a "fee" for him to install it on his. Now if you bring the game back to your XBOX I don't know if there is an additional fee, but I wouldn't be surprised. Also, you have to hook your XBOX to the internet every 24 hours to use the machine to play games. After 24 hours you lose your authorization to play games on it. But you just need to plug it back into an internet source to authorize it again.

So basically most people that don't live in cities are fucked as there isn't even cellphone service 5 miles from my location. No cable lines. There is 14kbps dial up though. I'd like to see the XBOX run off that shit. Nobody buys satellite as it's more of a pain in the ass than a service. 3,000 ping is a bitch. Websites time out more than they connect sometimes.

Of course someone is going to tell me that it's my fault that I live near farmers that sell produce to the cities. Whatever. A large part of the population does too so I don't feel bad. :)

The last generation of consoles were bad enough. Hopefully you console playing fine gentlemen :)p) will skip this generation entirely and get back to 100% PC gaming.

Well, let's review.

1. Name - you concede it's true.
2. Used games - you will not be able to take someone else's game and play it on your system without paying a fee.
3. The third thing is the original topic.

So, in effect, you were asking if it was true that the XBox One(Three) will not play used games.

Yes, it is.

:cool:

I thought most of that was bullshit, as threads in the console section typically are. Sounds to me like MS is selling a turd sandwich.

The last generation of consoles were bad enough. Hopefully you console playing fine gentlemen :)p) will skip this generation entirely and get back to 100% PC gaming.

Last gen consoles had fairly good graphics. This generation though the Xbox One has low end graphics, while the PS4 has mid range graphics. So consoles have never been less appealing, at least for graphics.

Last gen consoles had fairly good graphics. This generation though the Xbox One has low end graphics, while the PS4 has mid range graphics. So consoles have never been less appealing, at least for graphics.

But, the XB1 has more horsepower under the hood than the 360. Your issue is that it isn't Titan level this time around?

Very different.

Someone patents something I don't agree with, I don't use it. A law goes in, I have to obey it.

Plus -- it isn't even real yet. It's a patent. A flow chart. Would it be difficult to implement? I highly doubt it. But, at this point, it's just a patent.

What if you pay that $2 and the movie starts...and then your kid runs in and plops himself on your lap? Your movie is interrupted, and you have to pay more money. Then the kid runs off five minutes after you've done so.

You really don't see the potential for stupidity?

Sounds like you just might need to buy a different license that applies to you. Or maybe put your damn kid to bed before you watch a movie. Options are a good thing, and if one of them doesn't apply to you, it doesn't mean it's bad.

For the record -- I don't necessarily agree with Kinect watching me. But I am a big fan of something that saves me money, even if it's a dollar here and there.

I thought most of that was bullshit, as threads in the console section typically are. Sounds to me like MS is selling a turd sandwich.

An oversized turd sandwich, at that. I compared the dimensions to my XBox 360 Slim, and it's mind-melting. It's going to be the size of an old VCR, and have none of the sleek curves of either the 360 or the PS4.

Back when Microsoft was first coming out with the XBox, this is what I envisioned would come and go. It was nice that MS pushed the envelope for a while, but this appears to be nothing more than a media server that is highly unlikely to be as versatile as a PS3.

Sounds like you just might need to buy a different license that applies to you. Or maybe put your damn kid to bed before you watch a movie. Options are a good thing, and if one of them doesn't apply to you, it doesn't mean it's bad.

Right now, if someone else comes in while I'm watching a movie, it's not a problem.

With this patent, if someone else comes in while I'm watching a movie, I have a problem.

You consider this an "option"? You don't consider that complete regression in consumer rights as well as privacy "bad"?

It just astonishes me how people react to their rights being hindered as "options". We are fucking doomed.

But, the XB1 has more horsepower under the hood than the 360. Your issue is that it isn't Titan level this time around?

But when it came out, the 360 was close to a high end graphics card. The Xbox One has similar specs to the HD7770, but crippled by DDR3. The issue is that it's about equal to last years weakest graphics cards. Doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same page as a Titan.

The 360 was a high end gaming console. The Xbox One is a low end TV box.

But when it came out, the 360 was close to a high end graphics card. The Xbox One has similar specs to the HD7770, but crippled by DDR3. The issue is that it's about equal to last years weakest graphics cards. Doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same page as a Titan.

The 360 was a high end gaming console. The Xbox One is a low end TV box.

Still a huge step up. 360 gpu was heavily crippled, too.

they wanted to do something like that with phones recording shows... just to shut them off remotely

Just cover the Kinect sensor, problem solved!

Anyway there's no way this kind of thing gets implemented.

You have to deactivate the game from your XBOX to allow your buddy to play it. Then there is a "fee" for him to install it on his. Now if you bring the game back to your XBOX I don't know if there is an additional fee, but I wouldn't be surprised.

I don't see what all the fuss is about, really. Games are tied to your account in Steam, too - but at least with the XBOX games you can activate on another account should you want to give or sell your game to someone.

Also, you have to hook your XBOX to the internet every 24 hours to use the machine to play games. After 24 hours you lose your authorization to play games on it. But you just need to plug it back into an internet source to authorize it again.

So far this has not been confirmed. The only concrete thing they said was it tries to call home once in a 24 hour period - what happens if it cannot call home has not been disclosed yet. It's not likely they'll simply kill the game if you don't have a connection - instead, you'll probably get a message warning you that your saves haven't been synced in over 24 hours, etc.

Either way, who knows until they release further details - until then, everyone is speculating and pulling details out of quotes that aren't really there.

I don't see what all the fuss is about, really. Games are tied to your account in Steam, too - but at least with the XBOX games you can activate on another account should you want to give or sell your game to someone.

This was never an issue for video games in 30+ years of mainstream home console ownership.

The only way you can not see what all the fuss is about is if you pay no attention to history.

Very different.

Someone patents something I don't agree with, I don't use it. A law goes in, I have to obey it.

Plus -- it isn't even real yet. It's a patent. A flow chart. Would it be difficult to implement? I highly doubt it. But, at this point, it's just a patent.

For the record -- I don't necessarily agree with Kinect watching me. But I am a big fan of something that saves me money, even if it's a dollar here and there.

Do you think a company spent money developing this in order to lose money? Because if they offered decreased prices that's what would happen. If anything, this will be used to "upgrade" your $5 rental to an $8 rental for having more than 5 people watching.

Yea , that's seals it for me E3 or not. I get that most people don't care if they have a camera spying on them to the point that if too many people are in the same room it could considered "suspect" activity.

That's just Minority Report kind of invasion of privacy. Even if MS doesn't ever actually use this the idea they hold the patent and that the console I use has the very technology required already installed is bothersome enough.

I know privacy is a joke in this era but I wish to retain as much as I can of it. This is just getting to be insane now.

Do you think a company spent money developing this in order to lose money? Because if they offered decreased prices that's what would happen. If anything, this will be used to "upgrade" your $5 rental to an $8 rental for having more than 5 people watching.

They didn't develop it.

Someone sat down and drew a flow chart, then paid some money so they could patent it. It is not in any system (yet).

Worry about it when it happens and don't buy it when it's released.

Wow, that technology is Hollywood's wet dream right that.

Anyway I'd expect that to get hacked if they ever implement it.

It's already been thwarted, it's called turning the Kinect around or scotch tape.

Worry about it when it happens and don't buy it when it's released.
That's a horrible way to look at it. When it's seemingly obvious that it's something that can only go against you, I don't think you should worry about it when it happens.
It's just a patent.

And if you look at the actual document, it appears that their design covers multiple license types.

If you read into it a little further, it suggests that they may be licensing content slightly different. Right now, I pay $5 to rent a movie for my whole family to watch it. But what if my options were to rent it for $2 for just me? This patent would allow microsoft to validate that you're not buying the license for a single viewer and the whole family is watching it.

I love your optimism. You seriously think they'll lower the price and then set the status quo for the higher end? If they do do what you are saying, it'll be the same price for yourself, and more for more people. Look at Netflix, I don't really blame netflix, because it's the content licensing that contributes to it. But it was Online and Mailed DVDs for... what? $8 bucks? Then it became $14 for both, and $8 for online alone.

It's already been thwarted, it's called turning the Kinect around or scotch tape.
They'd probably make it a requirement to detect someone, or else, it stops. And they'll probably exclaim it as a way to SAVE YOU ENERGY! YAY!

Very different.

Wow, MS really has their hand pretty far up your rear end, don't they?

I am certain this would be in conflict with the First Sale Doctorine, assuming that movies are sold in the same fashion they have always been ( i.e. you buy it, you do not sign a contract). They cannot dictate how you use the product so long as you do not violate basic copyright laws. Just ask Netflix and Red Box.

As long as you purchase the product they cannot say that you are restricted to a certain number of viewers.

I have 11 cats with my luck it would count the cats as people because they often gather around me on the couch when I watch TV

I'll be blocking the Kinect immediately anyway. I doubt they would go so far as to require biometric information to turn on the system.

I don't need the X1 to watch me.

A camera in every home...

If you have a laptop odds are you already have that camera in your home, since an overwhelming majority of them include one these days. Heck, then there's smart phones, which follow you outside the home.

The FUD is quite amazing really. Pretty much every laptop has a webcam which is already watching you, its on all the time, and those are much much easier to hack than an Xbox. Yet no one is worried about those!

I'll take voice controlled home center from a company like MS any day rather than put on my tin foil hat.

lol you MS fan boys keep trying to explain it away

when I turn off my laptop, the camera caseas to function. This is not the case with the Kinect...

Defending a gross violation of home privacy?
Some of you lot don't deserve our constitution, and definitely don't understand it.
Fuck this bullshit. I can't believe some are actually justifying this behavior. On a laptop, you must be hacked. It is an invasion of privacy. With this you invite them in. I bet you'll have to agree to some EULA of sorts that pisses away your right to privacy, so they can activate this "service". Can't wait till someone sues, and loses because they didn't read it. Comedy.

lol you MS fan boys keep trying to explain it away

when I turn off my laptop, the camera caseas to function. This is not the case with the Kinect...

For the record, at this point I don't even know if I'll get the Xbox One. The only thing I'm a fan of is good games, regardless of the system. Up to now nothing they've shown, or discussed, makes me want to run out and get one. They showed a few cool and interesting features (IMO), but they are minor in the grand scheme of things. I'm very disappointed by the news of how it'll handle even retail disc games. However, apparently unlike quite a few people, I'm not exactly sure Sony isn't going to do the exact same thing... or something VERY similar. I hope they don't. I will have ZERO problems buying a PS4, but I have a hard time believing Microsoft is making these moves independently.

In regards to Kinect, I have yet to see anything compelling enough to make me want to own one. I have a 360 now, but nothing has come along that has made me even remotely consider purchasing it. Obviously, with the Xbox One you have no choice. It's included, and it needs to be plugged in. I just don't think everything being said about is true. For example you said you can turn off your laptop, and the camera ceases to function, and that's not the case with Kinect. I don't believe that to be true. Phil Harrison, in his interview with Wired.com, said there are multiple power states, including "completely off." Then there's a low power mode that is "just enough to understand your voice and activate when it hears the key words ‘Xbox on’ and to do some background downloading tasks." Sounds to me like you can turn it off... just like your laptop.

the Kinect is REQUIRED for the new xbox to function and off means just that OFF, not low power mode where it can understand you

I cannot walk up to my laptop and say "turn on" and have it start up. I must physically open the lid and press the "POWER" button.

btw completly off for a 360 = unplugged same for Wii, Wii U and PS3.

Back