Klipsch 2.1 Broke. Repair?

So my 10 year old Klipsch 2.1 promedias started eating fuses for breakfast recently. As soon as the power is turned on on the back of the sub, the light comes on for half a second then shuts down. I've confirmed the fuses are the exact specs needed. There are a lot of similar posts on the Klipsch forums but I wanted to try my luck here. Have any of you figured out the issue and performed a DIY repair? What component is usually the culprit? I have the back of my sub/amp unscrewed and have taken a look inside but I really don't know what I'm looking for other than maybe some blown caps which I haven't located yet. I'm located in Nova Scotia, Canada so my repair options may be limited/too expensive. Thoughts?

check out this thread that deal with the Klipsch 5.1 repair http://hardforum.com//showthread.php?t=1268387

I know nothing about electronics so I sent my amp off to Henry Koch and within a month I had a working set of speakers again. You don't have to let him do the repairs, he seems like the guy to try to help you out if you want to try to do it yourself. Its a start at least.

personally i wouldn't spend (much) fixing them... I really wouldn't pay to ship them / pay to have someone work on them.

you might give this link a look (has schematics)
http://www.thompdale.com/bash_amplifier/2-1/2-1_bash_amp.htm

i've heard the Klipsch (meh...) but didn't own them

my own pc speaker set up (Logitech Z560) started taking a poo on me after about a decade a bit ago.

personally i switched out to bookshelf speakers and T-Amp (at first) now got into vintage

I bought Polk RTi4 speakers (kinda big for bookshelf speakers but OMG awesome) $100 US on clearance @ fry's and I just got a 33~ish year old Pioneer SA-710 integrated Amplifier

anyways the sound quality is so amazing and pleasing I'm if i'm honest sort of glad the z540s started eating crap.

i have a bunch of other gear but you could get a t-amp (or vintage amp/receiver..or even modern amp / receiver) and bookshelf speakers for not much $$$ if you shop about.

you have to be careful w/ vintage cause stuff can be in need of repairs but when it works ... the sound is FANTASTIC

if i was y'all I'd do the following

Join Audiokarma

them look on Craiglist (or whatever equivalent site in you cheese loving area..you Canadians love cheese right???)

then check w/ teh audio nerds on AK for input on the deals you see.

yah, cheese and year round snow, thats us Canadians. we live in igloos and just yesterday we discovered electricity.

Thanks for the info regardless. I'm looking at powered bookshelf speakers for now. Audioengine A2 or A5's. Just have to figure out if I want to spend more money on the A5's.

Back