Klipsch Amp failure fix - Save your 60 bucks!

Hello all,
My amp just blew up the other day. I have been a technician for 15years.

First, All my speakers are dead. This indicates that more than likely 6 channel amps are ok and that just the power supply to them failed.

Noticed:
AC voltage to "indigo pdc 500W" on the two red wires from supply is 110V when power turned on. This is Good. This means that the relay is working that others have been changing.

No DC power out of "indigo pdc 500W" board.
R527 smoked on board "indigo pdc 500w". Looks like it should ohm out to be 1meg on a DMM. I think it smoked because D505 shorted to the heatsink next to it. But I think the resistor R527 is ok even though it heated up like a stove element. Resistor is durable.

I pulled R527 away from heatsink and now I get voltage out of this board and before I did not when the D505 was shorted to heatsink.

Question:

What DC voltage is between the red and black wires on the 5 channel boards? Mine is 17V
What DC voltage is between the red and black wires on the sub channel board? Mine is 18V.

What should the DC voltage be on the output of this 500W board?
DMM between J503 and J504 = ?
DMM between J505 and J506 = ?
DMM between Gnd(chassis) and each pin of J513? should be 5 readings( four white and one red)

One last thing, The ribbon cables that are white, green and yellow, Does anyone know what DC voltage should be on each of these pins to gnd?

I can answer questions that others may have. The relay that everyone is replacing is just the relay that the controls turn on to turn on the amp. This does not appear to protect anything. the amp just will be on all the time.

Once I get this amp to work I will write up a report of what voltages should at what points so others can be helped.

THANKS,
BryGuy

Hi Bryguy
I sent you a couple emails hoping you would check. I have problem similar to yours where R527 opened up before it smoked. If you will contact me we can compare notes. Check your email on this thread for my email address.

PapaT

Back