Klipsch Ultras compared to old 5.1 promedias.

Spiff1333

Gawd
Are there any major differences between the two. Sound quality, reliabilty etc? Thanks.

Anyone. I ask because you can get a used tested working pair on ebay for $165. Seems like decent deal.

I've owned both, and so far I like the Ultras better. The sats are the same (different look), the sub is tighter and louder, and the control pod is SO SO much better. Other than that, the SWS link on the Ultras is a nice addition if I ever decide to use it. The old promedia's sounded pretty good, but the Ultras are awesome.

I would be very careful buying any used Klipsch equipment. Often refurbished. etc. items fail quickly and cannot then be returned. Klipsch, although known for audio equipment, makes an unusual amount of lemons with the Promedia's and they sometimes fail after some time, so it's nice to be able to call up Klipsch and have something done about it.

I went the retail route originally, getting my promedia's at best buy with a 4 year service plan, and thats how I ended up with my Ultras and almost 2 years left on the same service plan ;)

I have the old ProMedias and they are no slouch, but that said, I would get the Ultras for the control pod alone. The old one is way to sensitive/clumsy and gets on your nerves...especially since you have to fork out a lot of dough for these speakers.

As far as differences, the Ultra's feature upgraded tweeters in every satellite as well as physical upgrades as well, the subwoofer is much deeper, and it has been enlarged. The Control pad is also different on the Ultra's.

I've owned the Logitech z680's, the Pro Media 5.1's, and the Ultra's, and if you can get the standard 5.1 Pro-Medias for $165, jump on it, the extra price up to $399.99 is worth it if your comparing them to other brand new speakers, but for $165 that's a hard value to beat. As far as sound quality goes, they both are superior to the z680's and every creative cambridge speaker system I've ever heared. Good hunting!

Back