KVM switches and refresh rates

Shadowman9876

Limp Gawd
I have a nice 20 inch monitor hooked up to a 9700 non pro and I am thinking about getting a KVM switch so I can use another computer with it, but I am worried about degrading image quality. The nice linksys one I looked at said 1440x1900 at 65hz. Anyone have experience with this one or any kvm switches that has had problems?

I used a kvm with my 19in monitor before. I purchased the http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProd...&Section_Id=201729&pcount=&Product_Id=160570# from dell, and also purchased . I also bought these cables http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?&Product_Id=95581# . Now it is supposed to be a pretty damn good kvm, but if it is then I guess kvms just suck. I was running 1280x1024@85hz on my windows machine and 1600x1200@75hz on my linux machine, and I just couldn't take it. It caused a shadow to be cast on all text.

So i thought the kvm was bad, and I had it exchanged for another one. Boom same problem although not quite as bad, still very very annoying. Called belkin up and they gave me this garbage about how I need gold plated cables and all this bs. I went to altex electronics, bought a 15pin to bnc cable and a usb switch and just decided to use both inputs on my monitor. Now I'm using a 22in monitor nec fp2141 with 2 inputs also and all I gotta say is KVMS SUCK.

I have found that most KVMs can do more than their ratings.

Mine is rated at 1792x1344 but it does 2048x1536 and possibly more.

Mine is made by iogear (mini view series) and was a bargain @$47 - $25 rebate = $22. It has 4 ports and came with 4 sets of cables and has auto switch.

The image quality is excellent.

I've had the same experience with any KVM I have used, they are great for servers at low-res, but i haven't used one yet that looks decent at UXGA@100Hz. I have used 3-4 Belkins, evcn their pro series w/gold cables, linksys, adderware and linkskey(sp) and none of them were satisfactory for me. I might try a DVI model eventually, but right now all I can find is USB models, you DO NOT want a USB KVM…

I bought a KVM and wasn't really satisfied with it. It didn't work well with my mouse or keyboard, and I was getting some shadows/blur on my monitor. I get a Belkin one that was supposed to be pretty good too.

Some things to look out for:
1. Some KVMs say that they don't work well with monitors above 17"
2. Make sure you get good cables and that are not too long.

Back