L4D online crashes when overclocked.

stevedave

Supreme [H]ardness
System

P5n-d sli
Q6700 - Zalman 9700
8gigs ram
9600gt's in sli

I do a simple overclock to 3.2 and everything works perfectly (intelburntest, prime, fuzzy donut, everest stability test) but when I play left 4 dead online it will crash after about an hour or so. It doesn't crash when I play off line I played for about 5 hours with no crash. Also no other games crash.

I don't notice a difference with the over clock in L4D but I do notice a huge difference with other programs and I don't want to have to reboot my system every time I want to play L4D.

anyone else run into anything like this?

only suggestion would to be is make sure you have all the updates for L4D.. also it could be something as simple as a voltage being to low.. maybe try bumping the voltage up just a tad.. is your processor p95 or IMBT stable?

only suggestion would to be is make sure you have all the updates for L4D.. also it could be something as simple as a voltage being to low.. maybe try bumping the voltage up just a tad.. is your processor p95 or IMBT stable?

It's everything stable left intel burn test on for over a day and prime for about 5 hours. Ran 3d mark 06 50 times and it didn't crash. It only crashes in left 4 dead I saw a pencil mod for my board i might try that and see if it can help.

Valve implemented anti-overclocking technology in L4D because they saw it as cheating. No really, L4D is stressing your system in some unknown way more than 3d mark 06 is (L4D uses a lot newer graphics tech), you'll just have to cut back on it.

Valve implemented anti-overclocking technology in L4D because they saw it as cheating. No really, L4D is stressing your system in some unknown way more than 3d mark 06 is (L4D uses a lot newer graphics tech), you'll just have to cut back on it.

well it's not really a matter of cutting back I can't overclock at all not even 5% for left 4 dead, but I played all the way through Fallout3, Crysis warhead, and farcry 2 with it at 3.6.

Even though you were joking it really does seem like L4D has some type of overclock protection on my computer.

I have to stop messing with it or I will break it; I have my OC bios saved so I can just switch between the two with an annoying restart.

first id check temps.. see if any of them are going out wack while playing..especially the gfx card(s).. if they seem fine.. then id look into your gfx drivers.. if thats not the issue then id look at the northbridge voltage.. since you are using an intel system which uses the northbridge as an IMC and link for the cpu to pci-e slots.. it could be over stressing it and there not being enough voltage for that amount of stress with the overclock and the game..

but each graphic engine acts differently.. so something may work with one game but fail in another..

first id check temps.. see if any of them are going out wack while playing..especially the gfx card(s).. if they seem fine.. then id look into your gfx drivers.. if thats not the issue then id look at the northbridge voltage.. since you are using an intel system which uses the northbridge as an IMC and link for the cpu to pci-e slots.. it could be over stressing it and there not being enough voltage for that amount of stress with the overclock and the game..

but each graphic engine acts differently.. so something may work with one game but fail in another..

All my temps are really good intelBurn testing cpu is at 62 through 68 and neither gpu goes above 70 and if I manually turn the fan to 100% they don't go above 60.

I have tried NB and HT volts from 1.36 to 1.62 but haven't gone higher in fear of breaking it.

I have tried new graphics drivers with no help but you might be on to something with the SLI over taxing the NB while overclocked so when I get some free time I'll try the overclock without my second 9600gt.

Back