Laing ddc2 pump mod (56k warning)

Solarfall

Limp Gawd
so last week i got my new laing ddc2 pump from england, and since i'm very cheap..:D i decided that i'm going to mod the top part of the pump, so i can fit 1\2" tubing to it and at the same time increase the performance of the pump.
hope you gues enjoy the pics. :D

Ok and on with the mod. after dissembling the pump i took out my trusty drill and drilled a hole right at the middle of the top piece:

DSCN0320.jpg

DSCN0321.jpg

DSCN0324.jpg

i chopped the inlet and the outlet with my dremel clone like so :

DSCN0330.jpg

DSCN0335.jpg

i decided that it would be best if i cut a little bit off from the barb that was going to be glued to the outlet, cos to me it looked that it was too long.

DSCN0333.jpg

the barbs glued to the top piece. the glue that i used was araldite, it rocks :D

DSCN0337.jpg

little bit more araldite:

DSCN0339-1.jpg

after i had made sure that the araldite was dry i started to filling process. the stuff i used is called chemical metal putty. good stuff too, then it dry's, it's really hard but it can be sculpted.

DSCN0342.jpg

DSCN0343.jpg

little bit of sanding:

DSCN0346.jpg

there was a lot of nasty holes after the sanding, and i noticed that the form was not symmetrical any more so some more putty was needed:

DSCN0351.jpg

more sanding:

DSCN0357.jpg

DSCN0360.jpg

when i was happy with the sanding jop i ablyed a couple of layers of primer:

DSCN0362.jpg

i assembled the pump and tested if it had any leaks.

DSCN0365.jpg

DSCN0366.jpg

triumph no leaks.... :D
here it is, assembled and ready to go.

DSCN0399.jpg

DSCN0397.jpg

i'm really happy with the job i made not too hard to make, it looks nice and more importantly it works like a charm.

this mod would not be what it is without the following: karhu beer, coolmiester, kossu.

here are the numbers from the GPM test, and i got to say i was rally pleasantly surprised, the mod actually did make a difference.
i did 5 different fillings and counted the average value of those 5 times i filled the bucket. i took few other pumps as comparison:

the results:

Petra'sTech DDCT-01s Custom Delrin DDC Pump Top .............4.11 GPM... 246.6 GPH
My custom laing top........................................................4.2 GPM......252 GPH
AquaXtreme 50Z-DC12 Inline 12V DC Pump...........................3.08 GPM... 185 GPH
laing d5 vario...................................................................5.2 GPM....317 GPH
Laing DDC-2 (18W)/Danger Den DDC Inline 12V DC Pump.........2.0 GPM....~ 120 GPH ( <btw this is the pump i modded)

pretty good results, if i say so my self....

Wow. Nice job.

I was looking at the first few pics thinking damn....this is going to look nasty. After getting through your thread though....very impressed. Good job!

Wow. Nice job.

I was looking at the first few pics thinking damn....this is going to look nasty. After getting through your thread though....very impressed. Good job!

i was thinking the exact same thing, this was going to be a crazy ghetto mod. turned out pretty nice tho after some bondo and paint. i got a mcp355 layin around maybe il have to try...

I was thinking that we might have another ghetto mod award winner... In the end I was highly dissapointed. Excellent job on the aesthetics.

Looks really good! That surprised me ALOT near the end :D

I was thinking that we might have another ghetto mod award winner... In the end I was highly dissapointed. Excellent job on the aesthetics.

Wow...beautiful work! Well done! :)

Nice mod! Very well done!

thanks gues. fired up the system yesterday and it is working like a charm, with d-tek fuzion and pa120.3 i got some insanely good temps at 1.5v idle 36c load 47c oh.

4004mhz.jpg

gonna try 1.6v today when i get out from work

Looks great !!! I saw another person do the same mod but I believe they used a blue metallic paint and it also came out great

yep thats true, the gue you are referring to, is coolmiester how got pissed off at me cos i did not mention him as the inspiration to this mod when i posted this pump mod guide in XS ( i forgot) , corrected that thing in this forum. :D

thanks gues. fired up the system yesterday and it is working like a charm, with d-tek fuzion and pa120.3 i got some insanely good temps at 1.5v idle 36c load 47c oh.
gonna try 1.6v today when i get out from work

Damn, your room temp must be really low.

Wish my room temps could be that low. Here I could never reach 23C unless I had an A/C. 27C here is a cold day. :p

lol 27c and you fell cold...you must live in California or something... if you would come here in Finland you would probably freeze to death.

Back