Lakitu's Cardboard Box Case

Lakitu

Limp Gawd
Well, I traded some old Nintendo Power magazines and some other nintendo stuff for an old e-machines computer(Sweet deal for me), and have always had an interest in making a cardboard box computer(I also got a bet with a friend that I can do it, she thinks I can't). Well, to prove her wrong, and to have some fun, I made what I call "Crappy Piece Of Crap". Specs:
533MHz Celeron Slot 370
64MB PC100(Will be upgrading prolly)
6.4GB HDD
Integrated 4MB Video
Integrated Audio
Windows XP Pro(The 64MB RAM just LOVES it ;))

I actually doesn't run to bad...now onto the pictures!

Front
front9gh.jpg

Back
back9gk.jpg

Side
side5rx.jpg

Inside 1
inside17me.jpg

Inside 2
inside22ss.jpg

Alright, under the CD drive is the power supply, the first vertical 3.5" is the harddrive, and the one on far side is a floppy drive. The firs tthing above the floppy drive is a USB/Game port, and on top of that is the HDD activity indicator LED/Power switch(Definitely not glamourized). Each side has a 80mm ~30CFM fan. The heatsink is, what to me looks like a Zalman passive heatsink, but when I got it it had a makeshift fan put on top(they just screwed the screws into one of the ridges in the heatsink until it threaded in). Power supply is a 300w Allied PSU.

This took me about 2-3 hours to get all the planning and assembly all done. Feedback is wanted and appreciated!

I was thinking of going ultra-ghetto and making a plastic wrap window(you know, that clingy stuff you wrap food in)...that woulda been awesome. I decided to go with 2 fans instead, but if I ever wanted, I could take on fan off, cut the hole bigger, tape some plastic wrap on, and there ya go.

it took you 3 hours to cut holes in a cardboard box. I have said this before : Everytime someone does something this stupid. God kills a kitten. Real talent comes when you build a computer and hide all the cables, or go completely off a tangent and creat you own case that is unique and doesn't have optical drives that are colored with a bad red marker.

Seer said:
it took you 3 hours to cut holes in a cardboard box. I have said this before : Everytime someone does something this stupid. God kills a kitten. Real talent comes when you build a computer and hide all the cables, or go completely off a tangent and creat you own case that is unique and doesn't have optical drives that are colored with a bad red marker.

:rolleyes: What the hell? He did it for fun! What is wrong with fun?! Besides, does a minamally equipped e-Machines 533 Celeron really warrant much more that a cardboard box? It makes good sense from an enviromental standpoint as well; he is re-using a container and making sure one more quite useful PC stays out of a land-fill.

Why are you so offended by something that fulfills it's stated role so perfectly? He wanted an el cheapo box PC and that's what he got.

"Crappy Piece of Crap" is just that - proper job!

i guess seer your mind matches your posting level "noob"

sweet mod :D

i made a case out of a few pieces of cardboard and a paper bag :D looked pimp

way to go dude!! after a crappy day i really needed a laugh and that hit the spot nicely.oh yeah a clingfilm window would just finish this lovely mod ;)

what are you gonna use for a monitor? how about one stripped bare with cardboard as a shell?

open.jpg

or just run it open with everything haging out

Seer said:

That is the entire point of the mod - it's CRAPTASTIC!

Hobo computer!

It would have been cooler if you had cut slots for all of the ports (monitor, serial, PS/2) but it is still an interesting box.

I fell out of my chair I laughed so hard. That is completely awesome.

And I like the monitor stipped bare. I might have to do that to mine. Since it doesn't quite fit on my desk with the case on it.

Well, I was thinkin of maybe painting the outside all black with some drawings and the computers name: CPOC, on the front, with "Crappy Piece of Crap" on each side. Then on the inside get some CCFL's and make every crack and rip in the cardboard glow. P-I-M-P

Duct tape! Remember to duct tape a lot!
It's really funny actually, when I cracked open my monitor, it looked like the factor duct-taped the glass onto the tube behind it.

If you go with an open monitor, duct-tape a paper bag to it or something.

That guy is classic! I have seen a homeless dude jacking an old Pentium I laptop into a lightpole before.

LMAO,,, :D I dam near choked on my Java when I saw this,,,,
that's a great lil Getto case Dude,,, and hey if it works and does the job,,,

And yeah I to agree with the montor guts hanging out like that, or if there was a way to Wrap the monitor with the same Cling Food Wrap,,, with out it melting ???

oh yeah Duct Tape , yes it will ad to the Getto Theme :cool:

Dre

Nice I did this probably 4 years ago :p

Mine was more pimp though becuase of 2 reasons.

#1 Lighted fans
#2 CCFL in the "case"

It was nice

Back