LAN only, no internet?

legrand

Weaksauce
Howdy all,

I have an odd problem. I have a laptop that does not want to connect to the internet. I am connecting the laptop using a cable, not wirelessly (I have no wireless router). I get a LAN connection but then get that stupid message about "limited connectivity" (ie. you have no internet connection). I have other computers that connect just fine to the router.

I have tried both Vista and XP on the machine and have even tried to replace the ethernet card. I have cycled the modem and the router (obviously) and I have even tried a couple different providers (though I was sure that would make no difference whatsoever). When using Vista I tried using the discovery tool, and that did nothing. All options were set up to be automatic (DHCP, etc.), I did not try setting up a static IP address.

Any ideas as to what I can do to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Can you see the other computers on your LAN in network neighborhood?
Can you log into your routers status page from that PC?

what router is it? I had a crap one that only supported a maximum of 6 pcs over its lifetime.

You could try manually assigning an ip, subnet & gateway in the appropriate range and see if its just a problem with dhcp or similar.

Have you tried a different port on your switch and if possible a different port on your laptop? Yea I know most laptops only have one Ethernet port but, if you have anyway of borrowing a PCMCIA card from someone, that would help prove the ports are still good. I have seen several ports randomly go bad.

OK... I feel like an idiot. It was the cable......

In my defense, the cable did work with a different computer...

Thanks for the obvious guys!

I had a cable crap on me the other day. It was working fine connecting a switch to a switch but I re-used it to attach my pfSense router to the modem and after mutliple resets of both I couldn't get an IP but they did see a connection. Bought a new 50' cable and it worked fine.

I have had the same problem. just got to check then double check everything.

Back