LAN Party Optimized House

Yep...I'm married with kids. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it, I build things like new rooms. The only things I have to myself is my upstairs office, game room and media room, all else is owned by the kids lol
Oh, they'll find their way in eventually!

Cool setup. I like what he made use of the space. It's so clean looking.

I've done a lot of disaster work, doing estimates on coastal regions and beach houses hit by hurricanes. Your $60K number for a kitchen remodel would be absolutely outrageous in those markets.

The average kitchen is 175-225sf. Even at $150/sf (which is crazy!) you're still barely halfway to $60K.

For a small kitchen and using good shopping:
Granite countertops: 5-6,000
Stainless appliances (double/speed oven, 48" cooktop, fridge, dishwasher): 5,000
Custom cherry cabinets: 7,000
Wood flooring: 1,500
Removal of old cabinetry, fixing drywall/ceiling: 1,000
Oversized hood vent: 4,000
Roof venting for hood: 600
Electrical wiring: 500
Lighting: 600
Faucets, sink, handles, paint, misc: $700

I'm guessing beach houses are more vacation homes and don't have the room or the desire to splurge on kitchens. A house in Silicon Valley with the high associated costs of labor, taxes, etc. would probably have higher per foot costs. If entertaining/cooking were your thing, you could easily drop 50K+ on a kitchen remodel.

Funny, I am in the process of building a LAN house aswell http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1038127575&postcount=163. Should be done by end of 2012.

What I want to know is, how did he do this?

Instead, the machines boot off the network. A server machine hosts a master disk which is shared by all the game machines. Machines can boot up in two modes:

Master mode: The machine reads from and writes to the master image directly.
Replica mode: The machine uses its local storage (60GB SSD) as a copy-on-write overlay. So, initially, the machine sees the disk image as being exactly the same as the master, but when changes are written, they go to the local drive instead. Thus, twelve machines can operate simultaneously without interfering with each other. The local overlay can be wiped trivially at any time, returning the machine to the master image's state.

I plan on having 4 machines and this would really help.

I've done a lot of disaster work, doing estimates on coastal regions and beach houses hit by hurricanes. Your $60K number for a kitchen remodel would be absolutely outrageous in those markets.

The average kitchen is 175-225sf. Even at $150/sf (which is crazy!) you're still barely halfway to $60K.

Stainless appliances (double/speed oven, 48" cooktop, fridge, dishwasher): 5,000

I'm guessing beach houses are more vacation homes and don't have the room or the desire to splurge on kitchens. A house in Silicon Valley with the high associated costs of labor, taxes, etc. would probably have higher per foot costs. If entertaining/cooking were your thing, you could easily drop 50K+ on a kitchen remodel.

I put 10 into my gut and redo of my kitchen, and I went cheap on cabinets, finished them myself, tiled myself, used lower cost porcelain on the floor, glass tiles on the wall, acrylic solid surface countertops, and a 'low end' rangehood(mid tier big box not a fancy ceiling mount).

I didnt even buy new appliances

so yeah, having someone come into a house like THAT and do a kitchen.......60K isnt out of the question at all.

cabinets might be a bit low on your estimate, I can do that from a custom amish shop local to me, I bet in SV CA its almost double

I would love to build something like this... which reminds me... time to buy more lottery tix :p

This list was approximately what I put into my kitchen, if anything the estimate was a bit low (I'm going from 3 year old memories). At the time I lived in Alaska, so some things were more expensive due to shipping. All my cabinets were probably more expensive than I listed because they were custom Jotoba cherry and done by one of the best cabintemakers up there. It was in "Alaska's Best Kitchens" in 2010, but didn't even make one of the main featured ones, just a two page filler (the mag is an advertisement/promo for the high end appliance dealer up there, so they feature kitchens that buy their stuff).

Wow.. I will remember this when my g/f becomes a Dr. in 5 months lol.. We plan on buying a new home and this gives me some great ideas. I miss having LAN parties. Anyone remember Arena Computers? I was friends wtih the owner and we had LAN's at his shop all the time that ran all night long. Good times. This guy really took it to the next level with that house.

Some of your prices are interesting... it seems like you're under on some things and way over on others.
But you've fluffed up a lot of things, used premium materials and still have only just approached 30K

on Yahoo answers:"Wow, I live in an expensive part of the country (Wash. DC suburbs) and my 12x12 is nowhere near that much. I'm getting cherry cabinets, granite countertops, porcelain tile floor for about $25k."

To be fair, the cost of a higher res monitor, the cost of rigs that can drive those higher resolutions, and the energy bill associated with that is probably not negligible. Granted as a percentage of the whole operation, it's probably not much but that might be an additional $3-500 per rig

True, it´s more expensive. Not by that much though. I would go 24 inch 16:10

Also I hope he has got a special rig for himself, I know I would :D

I liked how one of the fist things the guy added in his note is that he's not part of the 1%. :D

I liked how one of the fist things the guy added in his note is that he's not part of the 1%. :D

For certain people their knee jerk response whenever they see something nice like this is that it must belong to some rich jerk. It is the fallback insult for those who are jealous but can see no other easy way to tear someone down who has worked hard to build something cool and all it demonstrates is their lack of imagination and bitterness.

Have a 60,000 dollar classic car you spent the past decade building up? "Must be nice to be rich"

Maybe you spent 2 years planning and saving for a ski trip to Switzerland. "Too bad we can't all be part of the 1%"

etc. etc.

As the guy said, him and his dad designed everything and he installed all the electronics himself. I can't imagine the cost of the displays and computers being more than 20,000 or so and compared to the cost of a whole house that is a pittance. Lots of other people who are not rich spend more money on their hobbies than this.

For certain people their knee jerk response whenever they see something nice like this is that it must belong to some rich jerk. It is the fallback insult for those who are jealous but can see no other easy way to tear someone down who has worked hard to build something cool and all it demonstrates is their lack of imagination and bitterness.

Have a 60,000 dollar classic car you spent the past decade building up? "Must be nice to be rich"

Maybe you spent 2 years planning and saving for a ski trip to Switzerland. "Too bad we can't all be part of the 1%"

etc. etc.

As the guy said, him and his dad designed everything and he installed all the electronics himself. I can't imagine the cost of the displays and computers being more than 20,000 or so and compared to the cost of a whole house that is a pittance. Lots of other people who are not rich spend more money on their hobbies than this.
Yeah, I agree. While I may be envious of people with nice things and those who are flat-out wealthy (Fortune 500 CEOs, celebrities, etc.), I'm not jealous in a resentful way, for the most part. (Kardashians and Paris HIlton excluded :D.)

Kudos to the guy for building the ultimate LAN party-friendly house. :cool:

Back