Lanfest DesertBash 8 Phoenix, AZ 6.13.09

ICE_9

2[H]4U
Arizona's Premiere LAN party is returning June 13th, 2009.

This year will be bigger than ever. We'll have twice as many gamers, tons of gifts and prizes, and tournaments with your favorite LAN party games!

As always, we're doing this for the kids. All proceeds from DesertBash benefit the Shriners Hospital for Children Transportation fund, helping sick children get the transportation they need to get to the hospital.

Registration
Forums

www.desertbash.com
http://lanfest.intel.com

Ah hell, I can't just post an edit. There's just not enough to stuff into a 24 hour LAN!

ASUS will be sponsoring a viral video contest this go round. Click HERE for details/rules. Essentially the goal is to have folks make fan videos for one of ASUS's products, post to youtube, then spread the word and get the most views. The counts/judging will be done by Asus at DB8. Here are the prizes:

* (1st place) ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 video card
* (2nd place) ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 motherboard
* (3rd place) ASUS NVIDIA GeForce 9800GT video card

The late night UT3 tournament has prizes sponsored by Asus!

1st place is an Asus G50 laptop
2nd place is a GTX285
3rd place is a pair of an nvidia 3D glasses

Instant Action Games (http://www.instantaction.com) will be sending a few of their developers down to run a tournament on their game Fallen Empire: Legions. I don't yet know what rules they will be using, but what's cool is that the game is FREE to play, and the winner gets a new PC! (specs of PC are TBD)

For those who have been tuning in or checking the Intel LANfest forums, you'll notice the specifics for CPU Magazine's Case Mod Contest:

This contest is brought to you by Intel LANFest and CPUMagazine.There will be a winner at each participating Intel LANFest event and a final winner overall. The grand prize winner will receive a feature article in CPU magazine among other wonderful prizes listed below! Modders, Start your Dremels!

Rules:
1. Only one entrant per person (not per seat).
2. Your mod must be easily recognizable as a computer.
3. A case you have done the work on can not be entered as someone else's.
4. A single person must be able to lift the case and carry it to the finalist area.

Judging Criteria:
Judges' decisions are final and will be based on their observations regarding the following criteria. Each of the following categories is worth 25%

* Technical merit: Creative placement of parts and "outside-the-box" changes you have made to existing components or your case that are likely to have a positive effect on performance and/or that make for more efficient use of the space you have to work with.
* Artistic merit: Does the case have a cohesive theme or a distinctive look, or is it simply a collection of parts thrown together behind a window and lighted fans?
* Polish: The fit-and-finish portion of your work. This includes clean, smooth paint; solid cable management and sleeving/hiding; tight, smooth seams; the functionality of your mods (i.e. custom doors and mechanisms); and effective use of lighting.
* "Wow" factor: Judges' overall reaction to your mod.

Prizes:
Winner of each local event:
Winner mentioned in future issue of CPU magazine
Intel Product: TBD

Over all winner:
Cover shot on CPU
Full Feature Article
$1500
Intel Product: TBD

Update for the CoD4 tournament:

Client version 1.7
Competition mod: ProMod Live North American version + deep impact disabled.

Round limit and match time limit TBD - based upon number of teams signed up and ready at tournament start.

Now for the good news: I've been told that each member of the winning team will get a set of these.

No updates for the L4D tournament currently.

Here's a prize update!
The more people that show up the more goodies we get!

Solid State HD's from Intel 1 per 75 people

Core i7's 1 per 40 people

Intel MBs ~5 probably

Razer: 5 Piranha headsets for CS:S + 5 Deathadder mice, 5 Lycosa mice, 5 Destructor mousemats + promotional stuff - probably will not be at DB8

Asus: UT3 contest: G50 laptop (1st), GTX285 graphics card (2nd), 3d glasses (3rd); video contest: GTX260 card (1st), P6T motherboard (2nd), 9800GT (3rd); raffle stuff: GTX285, 9800GT, P6T motherboard - probably will come to DB8

Nvidia: will probably only bring in one extra set of 3d glasses but should have large presence at event - will come to DB8

Monster Energy: will ship a whole pallet of goodies

Crucial: 5x Ballistix 6gb tri-channel memory kits for COD4 tournament + other raffle prizes - may come to DB8

Dustoff: WILL ATTEND + expected prizes: (x12 units) Quiver Bags (Backup Tournament Prizes), (x6 units) Quiver Bags (for sale), (x1 case) DMPT Multi-Purpose Wipes in Tub (for cleaning tent), (x100 units) DCW AntiStatic Monitor Wipes (gift to attendees), (x3 cases) DPSXL 10oz Dust-Off Plus Duster Refill (for cleaning tent), (x10 units) MCTH MicroCloth XL, (x5 units) DPVC Dust-Off Plus Replacement Valve (for cleaning tent), (x40 units) DCSP Smart Packs (gift to PC cleaning participants)

Themaltake: expected 3 cases plus lots of promotional stuff

Antec: expected prizes - although I'm trying to get these guys to sponsor L4D: 2 cases, 1 PS, 3 multimedia stations, 45 fans

In-Win: expected prizes: 4 cases, 2 power supplies, handbags
Instant Action games - WILL ATTEND + will host tournament on their Fallen Empire Legions game to win a full PC

CPU Magazine: WILL attend and will be judging case mod contest - plus magazines for every swag bag

(all prizes are subject to change)

Tournament updates:

• CoD4 is still S&D 5v5 starting 12:30p
  • CS:S is 5v5, will start earlier at the 3:45p start time and will be double-elimination.
  • L4D is 4v4, will start at 8p and depends upon the number of teams signed-in on the day of the event to define the tourney format.
  • UT3 is set for 12:30p and will use the Excessive Overkill mod with a new 64 player map designed by Danny "Laambo" Laam. If you've never seen controlled chaos in UT3, here's your chance to be a part of it!

There's still the Instant Action Fallen Empire Legions tourney for a PC.
The Guitar Hero competition
The CPU magazine Case Mod event and LanFest series competition.

Plus, lots of non-designated tournaments and mini-competitions.

This is 24 hours of solid PC and console gaming, with a serious amount of prizes for the designated tourneys and the raffles. There will be pizza for dinner, and Monster drinks to keep your energy up later. Howie's GameShack will have a few rental PCs, and a booth for some console action.

And all proceeds are going to help the Shriner's and the United Way. Help yourself to some gaming, while helping children get the medical attention they need, and helping the community!

Have a blast guys, I know with guys like Jestyr and ICE helping to run the show, it'll be awesome! Sadly I'm out of town that weekend, but I hope you guys have a rocking time.

I'd love to go, but sort of lost interest in gaming over the last few months. Perhaps ill swing by and see how its going mid stride.

EDIT: Interest in gaming waning, but definitely gonna attend cause of the sheer madness of the event. Overloaded w/ Sugar Energy Drink + Pizza + CPU mag...that's really all an enthusiast needs anyway. :D

Last edited:
More updates!

Antec is sponsoring the L4D 4v4 tourney! The winning team members will get an Antec Nine Hundred Two case!

Already Asus has stepped up for their sponsorship of the UT3 tournament!

Razer will be the choice for prizes in the CS:S double-elim tourney.

Crucial memory for the CoD4 5v5 tourney winners. A slight correction, as I believe those will be 3GB kits.

There's still the general raffle, the Guitar Hero competition, the Fallen Empires: Legends tourney for a whole PC (each member of the winning team will get a PC case, and a randomly chosen member of that team will get the PC).

CPU Magazine will be on site for the case mod contest. And better yet, they still have to do a final decision/judgement on which event winner becomes the LanFest overall winner for the $1500!

And then for after hours, there will be lots of other activities. In fact, there's a group already starting to plan a TF2 tourney to rock through the graveyard hours!

Last, but not least, truly the best reason to come out to the event. It's for charity, which is for the kids and the community. The Shriner's and United Way will benefit, since all proceeds will be given to them.

anyone plan on going that would like to form a cod4, tf2, css team? pm me if interested

In keeping w/ Jod~LAN tradition...I give you...the first LAN FAIL of DesertBash!!!

FAIL.jpg

Suggestion for next year: Replace "12:59AM PDT" with "Midnight." Clearly, this wasn't my fault. And now I can't register at all! But I can pay @ the door, right? And if I come early enough I'll get to pick a good spot?!

If any H'ers wanna sit together w/ matching t-shirts (red/orange marker'd up [H]) to impress the ladies, let me know.

I will pass that info on. Yes, we do accept walk ins, however it is $5 more. Their should be plenty of seats for you to choose from. We are looking at about 200+ there.

Sweet. Thanks for kickin' that reg date backward. YGPM ICE_9.

-= Call of Duty 4 =-

• FYC - Crucial 3GB DDR3 RAM kit (very good kit to use for the latest motherboards, particularly the Intel systems that have the triple memory controller needing 3 sticks at-a-time for performance)

-= Left 4 Dead =-

• Hausen - Antec Nine Hundred Two full size tower case. Very solid case with lots of BIG fans for cooling. Antec link

-= Unreal Tournament 3 =-

• 1st - DiscoBiscuits - Asus G50 laptop. Very nice laptop, and plays UT3 smoothly. Asus link
  • 2nd - WyrdNyrd - Asus GTX285 video card. Very capable video card.

Congrats to all the winners! And thanks to all the participants for coming out to DB8!

Thanks for your help guys. We raised over $17.5k for charities. You were awesome!

Last edited:
Back