Language filter behavior

uzor

Supreme [H]ardness
I was having trouble with some links I was trying to post in the case modding section not working (went to the digi-key.com website). Finally figured out that part of the URL was being flagged/changed by the language filter, and I thought that it was a really odd character string to disallow. The string was: "? Ref =" but without the spaces. I eventually got my links working a different way, but I wanted to check with y'all to see why this was happening.

Thanks.

I'm not the language filter guy, but i'm 99% sure that is because referal link spamming that occurs in both [H]otdeals and randomly elsewhere on the forum, ? Ref= being a common GET string used in those sorts of links with a string afterwards identifying the referer.

VA

We had some problems with people using those types of links a couple years ago. I don't recall the exact specifics, but we decided to just filter them so they couldn't be abused.

Wouldn't it be something liek those "click my link so my thug army gains power!!!111" things? I'm assuming that was teh problem, I could be wrong.

That would one example.....all of the referral links follow the url and they are all designed to give the poster some type of return for referral clickthroughs....that is one of the reasons they aren't allowed on the forum. It's basically bandwidth theft for personal gain.....low level advertising for a third party.

Well, then I suppose that it's too bad that Digi-key coded their site like that, as I guess I'll no longer use them as a reference when referring others to online resources. Oh well, there are others like them (Jameco, etc.).

Thanks for the info.

Back