Lapping HS found on the HD 2900 XT

Eastcoasthandle

[H]ard|Gawd

Make sure you remove the 2 screws to the left in order to remove the HS cover or else you cannot remove the HS.

Here is a photo of the HS as you can see the mosfet HS is also incorporated.

In these photos you will see what looks like drill (milling) markings on the HS. It's not as bad as the X1900XTX that I showed sometime ago. However, they are there so a decent lap maybe appropriate.

Dry lapping with 2000 grit sandpaper appears more appropriate then anything else. As you can see the results I was able to remove the drill marks without removing much else.

Temps idle and load playing a game.Ambient temps around 22C

Nice stuff.

I dunno why people complain so much about 2900XT heat, those temps looks to be below what my X1900 would put out with stock cooling.

With a mild lapping on the HS to remove those mill marks any heat problems become mute.

WOW it really looks like ATi dropped the ball on HSF quality...I wonder what other users will find.

also isn't an ambient of 22 degrees C quite low? (72 degrees F)

The 8800GTX runs hotter at load and at idle, so why are people complaining about the heat? My X1950XTX also runs hotter and thats fine for me. I would be happy to see those temps on my card but right now my card idles at 77C.

WOW it really looks like ATi dropped the ball on HSF quality...I wonder what other users will find.

LOL, no they didn't drop the ball. These OEM heat sinks always look like this. This is common knowledge. Have you looked at yours? ;)

Ambient of 22C during the spring solstice of 2007 is low to you? :rolleyes: ;)

What were the temps like before the lapping?

If only they'd dropped the ball on product quality too... :(

Though this is good news. I was personally afraid it would literally act as a space heater. Guess not! Where does all the power go!?

What are you one of those 70 year old Floridian retirees who keeps their home at 80F at all times?

What are you one of those 70 year old Floridian retirees who keeps their home at 80F at all times?

no I am young (18) and live with my parents (graduate from HS june 8) and they don't like to AC the house all the time.

OT: CAN'T WAIT FOR VIRGINIA TECH!

no I am young (18) and live with my parents (graduate from HS june 8) and they don't like to AC the house all the time.

OT: CAN'T WAIT FOR VIRGINIA TECH!

They should. AC is god, even here in Michigan. When it gets hot, you start to perspire and smell funky. When you are cold, none of the negative effects of heat are felt, there is no heat.

Lol, I live in Tampa, FL. With as hot and humid as it gets here, 80F inside feels pretty good. Of course, we still keep our AC at 75-85F, but as long as you pulling the humidity out of the air, you're solid.

Lol, I live in Tampa, FL. With as hot and humid as it gets here, 80F inside feels pretty good. Of course, we still keep our AC at 75-85F, but as long as you pulling the humidity out of the air, you're solid.

Amen. I lived in Clearwater. I went out to get in my car for lunch one day, opened the door and nearly passed out from the heat. I closed the door and decided I wasn't hungry after all. It was too damn hot to even wait for the A/C. When it is that hot, you just stay inside.

he might have low temps, but is it just me, or is it really really underclocked?

Back