Lapping

coolkishan

Limp Gawd
Ive never lapped anything before and want a few more degrees of cooling out of my SP-94 and was wondering how to lap things..i know you use damp sand paper or something. But what grit sand paper do you use and step by step guide on what to do would be very helpful.

Thank You

Kishan

Personally i wouldnt put my CPU at risk by using sandpaper on it. How about a Vapochill? I had two in the past and they ROCK!!

Not exactly sure if its saver to lap a CPU or freeze one....oh well its fun anyways. Get into watercooling or phase change...lot more fun the sanding a CPU :cool:

quick and easy guide:
1) go to auto parts store or Walmart and buy 400, 800, 1200, and 1600 grt wet/dry sand paper (usually in the paint section) also get 2000 grit if you want it super shiney/reflective.
2) get a piece of glass that's about 10"x12"
3) start with 400 grit, lay the sandpaper on the glass. dab a little bit of water in the center of the sandpaper and plop your heatsink down on it and move it up and down about 20 times. When it starts to dry out, dab a little more water and repeat. Then turn the heatsink 90 degrees and move it up and down about 20 times then turn it 90 degrees again and so on, and so on. Do NOT put pressure on the heatsink. Let the weight of the heatsink be the only pressure downward. After about 10-15 minutes with the 400 grit, repeat with 800 and so on. By the time you get to 1600 grit, your heatsink should be pretty shiney.
4) dab a little bit of AS5 on the surface and rub it in with a coffee filter.
5) take pictures and show it off.

You will only notice 1 maybe 2 degree difference, but it sure will look purdy.

I have been on google and there anre many different ways on there.. could someone please tell me a way that has worked most effective for them. Before and after temps would be great also.

Thanks

Kishan

http://easypckits.com/

comes with instructions and everything you need. Great guy who owns the site.

Also, you can use any other flat object such as a sheet of marble if you don't have glass. I did mine with a marble cutting board, also I used a little dishwasher soap on the bottom of the heatsink to help it slide easier. I think the temp decrease was around 4-5C.

Good luck :)

Back