Laptop <$600

anthrex

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm looking for a cheap laptop for my dad who does moderate non-time sensitive video editing and DVD burning. He wants a screen size of 13~14 inches. The laptop can either have a DVD burner or not but if it doesn't I think it would need to be a bit smaller in terms of size, weight and price as he would need to purchase an external one. Thanks for the help! Let me know if you guys need more info.

generally 15 inch laptops are the best low cost option, possibly because it is easier to fit all the features in and without the "super thin" tax.
14 can be reasonably near. Once you get into fashion price goes up fast.
External DVD burners go about $20-40 depending on brand and sale price.
I do not know if an I5 Dual Core or I7 Quad is needed, you need to research this. An I5 Haswell Dual Core should be fine.
What screen resolution? 1366x768?
IF if it comes with 4 gb RAM, hopefully it is one stick so $35-40 will upgrade to 8 gb.
amazon has the Crucial M500 240 gb SSD for $109 with prime. How much space is required?
Staples and Office Max can have "bargain " prices. But you need to know the units you'll consider.
Asus and Lenovo have been go to brands, I've had good luck with Samsung.

You'll be hard-pressed to find an i5 or i7 in a decent brand (sammy, Asus) for under $600. Is used acceptable?

Thanks guys. 15 inches might be ok too. He wants to purchase new not used. It doesn't have to be an i5 I think an i3 would be ok for him as he is coming from a pretty old laptop. Since the external DVD burners seem pretty reasonably priced I think he'd be ok without an internal one. I also think he might need the space, but anyways I think for SSDs I can purchase that later and install if necessary.

Back