Laptop Advice for Deployed Soldier

PFCCoker

n00b
I will check up on this at least as often as I can with the internet the way it is here where I am at. I would also mention that I am currently a student on my way to becoming a Doctor in the army BUT I have do not think that is in no way attached with a 2k plus gaming laptop purchase.

I am in need of some advice/help, share this with anyone willing to give real advice, I will be purchasing a new gaming laptop. The only problem is the more I read online the more I do not know what to get, these are the options that I have to go with

Sager np170 http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np9170-clevo-p170em-p-4342.html

or

Alienware M17x http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-M17x-r4/pd.aspx

or

Alienware M18x http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-M18x-r2/pd.aspx

or these two
MSI GT70 http://www.xoticpc.com/msi-gt70-0nd219us-eta-june-p-4499.html or http://www.xoticpc.com/msi-gt70-0nc011us-p-4328.html

or

ASUS republic of Gamers G75VW http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-g75vwds72-preorder-p-4325.html

or

3D version ASUS republic of Gamers G75VW http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-g75vwds733d-p-4324.html

The main points that I am looking for is reliability, price (1500-1800) and ability to expand. I have currently taken apart my 2004 Dell XPS, gift from a friend before I joined the military which has lasted until now, more than once. So I know I will be utilizing the upgradability features of the laptop in question.

EDIT: I would also like to mention that I have been and will continue to read all the threads that I can find on these and other forums on the subject of gaming laptops.

Thank You in advance for your patience and advice.

Last edited:
Have had an Alienware m17x for around 2 years now, a lot of bang for your buck but it's been replaced twice. Started as an r2, replaced with an r2 after the DVD drive died and the tech killed the laptop replacing it, then it was replaced again due to a soundcard issue with an r3, which when received had graphic corruption (fixed with a BIOS update) and now has developed a similar sound card issue (sound card randomly cuts out when using headphones, you have to unplug the headphones and plug them back in after which they start working again).

So overall good price / performance but *terrible* quality

Let me ask you this, Where are you deploying to?
Depending on where (for example, I'm in a giant dustbowl in afghanistan right now) you may not want to make such a commitment to the laptop by spending that much.

1) You may as well assume it won't last past the deployment. Where I am, even if the laptop never leaves my barracks, the amount of dirt and dust accumulation is going to make it not last much longer after I leave here. I've already had to replace the HDD because of issues, and have to regularly disassemble it to clean it out to keep it from overheating. That said...

2) Proven reliable parts are much more important than performance. I know instinct says to go straight to performance, but when you're already going to be worried about wrecking the system just from having it, do you really want to worry about something like a dedicated GPU that overheats frequently to begin with, even with good ventilation?

3) Much of the internet in deployed theaters is absolutely horrible. Where I'm at, I ordered a copy of Skyrim on disk to install, and couldn't because the internet actually blocks STEAM from even connecting. It's absolutely absurd, and don't even think about trying to play an MMO, especially during any prime time (IE, 1700-2300) because you'll be lucky if you can even check Facebook. And, you'll be paying upwards of $100 a month or more for this.

My honest advice.

By a decent, $800-$1000 in about 15.4" so it's easy to tote around into and out of country without worries of destroying it. Also, that way when it needs replaced at the end of your tour you won't miss it too much. Get something with switchable graphics, like nVidia's Optimus, so that you can watch movies and the like when the power goes out and still have OK battery life. Power WILL go out. Trust me. Also, don't get many upgrades, and if you do, upgrade for durability. Get an SSD if you really want (keeps the spinning disk from failing) but don't waste money on things like a hybrid drive since their durability is shit. Just be smart about it, then set aside some of the money from when you're deployed to get a real gaming rig when you get home. Hell, if your laptop is still good at the end of your tour, don't even bring it home with you. Sell it to someone who's coming in to replace you.

I personally have a SAGER that's just over a year old. Bought it specifically for this tour, and don't see it continueing to be useful afterwords. I'll be building a nice desktop as soon as I get home.

I am currently in the same dustbowl and I know what you mean I go to room every night to a fine coat of dust/dirt/whateveritis all over my room BUT I am faced with having to get a new laptop or keep Frankensteining my old XPS which at this point I can not even buy parts for or upgrade anymore. I was leaning towards sager but a part of me is drawn to the idea of three hard drives in a laptop and a 18inch screen, though part of me knows as soon as I get home my 32inch monitor awaits me.

As I said also a student and yes I plan on a kick ass desktop that I will more then likely make myself, the ones online are sooo overpriced. This will be my first new laptop purchase wanted to make it count.

EDIT: on the note of 15 inch which of these would you recommend then

ASUS K53U-YH21 $642.00 http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-k53uyh21-p-4009.html?wconfigure=yes
- 15.6” HD 16:9 LED Backlit Wide screen (1366x768) Super Clear Glare Type Screen (SKU - X1R312)
- ASUS Zero Bright Dot (ZBD) 30 Day Pixel Guarantee - (Included on ASUS Standard NON-Upgraded Displays)
- AMD® Fusion APU E-450 (1.65GHz) (dual core) (SKU - X2R006)
- Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU
- AMD Mobility Radeon™ HD6320 (SKU - X3R055)
- 4GB DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory (2x2GB SODIMMS) - Default (SKU - X4N160)
- 320GB 5400RPM (Serial-ATA II 300 - 16MB Cache) - Default (SKU - X5R152)
- Combo Dual Layer SuperMulti DVDRW/CDRW Drive w/ Software (SKU - X7R451)
- Optical Bay Hard Drive Caddy (Caddy Only) Used For Installing Your Own Hard Drive (this option includes the removed Optical Drive)
- Internal 4-in-1 Card Reader (SD/MMC/MS/MS PRO)
- Built-in 802.11 Wireless B/G/N - Stock Wireless Card (SKU - X8R001)
- Integrated Digital Video Camera
- Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio - Included
- Smart Li-ion Battery (6-Cell)
- Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Pre-Installed + Drivers & Utilities Disk - [ Upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for $14.99 (Directly through Microsoft) ]
- Clean Windows Installation (Install drivers only - no bloatwares) (For factory installed OS only, not required if OS upgrade is selected)
- 2 Year ASUS GLOBAL OEM Warranty 24/7 Support / 1 Year North America (N.A.) Accidental Coverage (Accidental Requires Registration) (SKU - A9R102)
- Yes, I would like XOTIC PC’s White Glove Premium Packaging
- Rushed (Ships in 1-4 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed) (Subject to Parts Availability)
$642.00

OR

ASUS K53E-DH91 $693 http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-x52fxf1-p-2944.html?wconfigure=yes
- 15.6” HD 16:9 LED Backlit Wide screen (1366x768) Super Clear Glare Type Screen (SKU - X1R312)
- ASUS Zero Bright Dot (ZBD) 30 Day Pixel Guarantee - (Included on ASUS Standard NON-Upgraded Displays)
- Intel® B950 2.1GHz Mobile Processor
- Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU
- Intel® GMA X4500HD Shared up to 256MB DX10 (SKU - X3R751)
- 4GB DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory (1x4GB SODIMMS) - Default (SKU - X4N180)
- 640GB 5400RPM 8MB Cache Buffer (Serial-ATA II 3GB/s) - Default (SKU - X5R252)
- Combo Dual Layer SuperMulti DVDRW/CDRW Drive w/ Software (SKU - X7R451)
- Optical Bay Hard Drive Caddy (Caddy Only) Used For Installing Your Own Hard Drive (this option includes the removed Optical Drive)
- Internal 4-in-1 Card Reader (SD/MMC/MS/MS PRO)
- Built-in 802.11 Wireless B/G/N - Stock Wireless Card (SKU - X8R001)
- Integrated Digital Video Camera
- Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio - Included
- Smart Li-ion Battery (6-Cell)
- Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Pre-Installed + Drivers & Utilities Disk - [ Upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for $14.99 (Directly through Microsoft) ]
- Clean Windows Installation (Install drivers only - no bloatwares) (For factory installed OS only, not required if OS upgrade is selected)
- Yes, please create backup recovery DVD
- 1 Year ASUS GLOBAL OEM Warranty 24/7 Support / 1 Year North America (N.A.) Accidental Coverage (Accidental Requires Registration) (SKU - A9R101)
- Yes, I would like XOTIC PC’s White Glove Premium Packaging
- Rushed (Ships in 1-4 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed) (Subject to Parts Availability)
$693

Last edited:
Back in June of 2011 I was deployed to Iraq and ordered my M18x. It never left my living quarters and I sprayed it down with compressed air once a week and I never had any issues.

I got transferred down to Kuwait in August and continued the same process of spraying it out once a week and again never had an issue. I never did and still don't regret my purchase. This laptop's gaming performance kept a big smile on my face throughout the deployment in my down time. MasterOfPupets is dead on with internet connection. Load it up with enjoyable single player games and you'll be set. Don't even let online game play cross your mind!

I don't have first hand knowledge or experience with Dell's customer service in regards to needing replacements parts due to never having an issue but I can tell you this is my 3rd Alienware and knock on wood, no issues. Dell has made a happy customer out of me, overseas or not.

BTW, just purchased me a pair of 7970M's through Dell! :D

If you are moving around a lot I would recommend something light. All my gear and my laptop (although 5lbs) still wasnt fun to move around.

I was moving from the deid, ali al salem, balad, khandahar, kerkut and more often. I eventually stopped bringing my laptop even though it wasnt a heavey weight. So if you move around a lot you may not like having something heavey.

Back