Laptop as a father's day gift

Vol

Limp Gawd
Hey all,

I want to give my father a laptop as a gift for father's day. I never owned a laptop and obviously never bought one. I started looking into and there are way too many of them :confused:
I would love to have some suggestions. Here are the criteria

• 15.6'' screen (Low resolution would be good since he will otherwise reduce the resolution to see better. He is stubborn and doesn't want glasses even if he is 63 :rolleyes: )
  • 500 GB hard drive
  • DVD burner
  • LAN connection and WiFi
  • Not too heavy (he goes to work in bicycle and will take it with him in his backpack)
  • Core 2 Duo would be enough (more is always better)
  • Battery power of 4 hours or more
  • Graphic card: Need to be able to watch youtube and video from camcorder . So, not an integrated video card. I don't think he will start gaming anytime soon :p
  • VGA or DVI output
  • He will use it mostly for Outlook, Word, Excel and internet.
  • Not a Dell
  • Edit: Budget around 800$

I think that's about it. Thank you for your time and any suggestions is appreciated!

Last edited:
Well one thing you haven't mentioned is your budget.

Here is what I just bought my father for an early Father's Day gift (he's 72).

Acer Aspire AS5542

- 15" LED screen
- 2GHz Athlon II
- 4GB RAM
- 500GB HDD
- Radeon 4200 graphics (it's integrated, but not shitty like Intel's)
- VGA and HDMI outputs
- DVD burner
- Initial use puts battery life at about 3.5hrs (surfing, etc)

It was only $599Can, and the best part is that Costco has a 90day return policy, and doubles the manufacturers warranty. If you're in the US I'm sure you can get it cheaper.

EDIT: Editting out my Scotch induced typos

Last edited:
Thank you for pointing out about the budget! It was one of the first criteria I was thinking about and I forgot to write it down :rolleyes:
The budget is around 800$.

I didn't put it the initial post but I'd like to stay away from Acer. Though the specs fits, I don't trust Acer's product enough. Bad experience with their monitors.

Thanks for your reply :)

What do you have against Dell specifically to not want to buy a laptop made by them? You're only other choice at this point is a laptop from HP or Lenovo if you want decent American technical support.

Lenovo has their G460 (Part Number 06772XU) on sale for $764.15 after a 15% coupon discount (found on their site). It has the following:

Intel Core i5-520M Processor (2.40GHz 1066MHz 3MB)
NVIDIA GeForce 310M 512MB Onboard Video Card
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64
4 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1066MHz
14.0" WXGA LED Backlight TFT 1366x768
500GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
DVD Recordable (Dual Layer) Optical Drive
6 Cell Lithium-Ion Battery
Bluetooth Version 2.1 + EDR
Intel Wireless Wi-Fi Link 1000 Card

Datasheet: http://www.lenovoconnect.com/www/consumer/files/common/csmr/csmr3-1-datasheet-Lenovo-G460.pdf

If you're looking for a laptop that is truly portable I would stay in the 14in screen range. Usually anything larger than 15 inches is above 5 lbs.

http://www.amazon.com/UL50Vt-A1-Lig...ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=pc&qid=1275402263&sr=1-2

Asus UL50VT

Product Features
1.3GHz Intel SU7300 Core 2 Duo Processor
4GB of DDR3 RAM, 2 slots, 4GB Max
500GB SATA Hard Drive (5400 RPM), DVD Super Multi Drive
15.6" HD LED LCD Display, NVidia G210M Graphics with 512MB DDR3 VRAM, Wi-Fi 802.11 bgn, 0.3M Webcam,
Windows 7 Home Premium Operating System (64 bit), *11.5 Hours of Battery Life
Processor, Memory, and Motherboard

Hardware Platform: PC
Processor: 1.3 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Number of Processors: 2
RAM: 4 GB
RAM Type: SDRAM
Hard Drive

Size: 500 GB
Manufacturer: Portable
Type: Serial ATA
Graphics and Display

Graphics RAM: 512 MB
Cases and Expandability

Size (LWH): 15.4 inches, 10.4 inches, 1.05 inches
Weight: 5.2 pounds

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for all the replies :)

No Dell is not because of the bad customer service but because I've seen too many friends with Dell laptop going bad.

I really want to get him a 15.6'' because of his sight, a lower size screen with the same resolution than a 15.6'' will be to small for him.

That Asus seems nice but is there a LAN connection on it? What I mean by LAN connection is a connection for the internet via an ethernet cable (is LAN connection the proper way to describe it?).

Thanks!

Thank you all for your inputs. I'm gonna get the Asus UL50VT. Seems like it fits the most with what is needed.

Thanks !

Back