Laptop Boot to Black Screen

Oneos

Gawd
Hey,

Okay so someone has brought a Compaq Presario F700 to me. It came with Windows Vista, but was downgraded to XP. He apparently liked the look of Vista however, and has themes installed (the loader, and login screen included).

So, on a normal boot, it will go through the loading bar, then sit on a black screen. I've let it sit for at least 10 minutes so I'm pretty sure its a forever problem. I assume this is a video driver issue. So I attempt to boot into Safe Mode, which works, but the replaced login screen doesn't play nice (I see the two users on the vista-like login screen, can't move the cursor).

Suggestions?

See if you can uninstall the video driver from safe mode and if so windows should boot to a vga driver. Reinstall video driver.

I'd love to, but as I pointed out, the vista themes are affecting Safe Mode.

EDIT:

I started the laptop using the "Enable VGA Mode" Option. This got me in, and thanks to the wonders of auto-login that was setup, am on the desktop.

Unfortunately, The laptop doesn't seem to be accepting any input, from mouse or keyboard (also tried USB Mouse). So, another driver issue here? I don't know how someone could've pulled this off.

I'm betting the theme stuff installed on it corrupted something. It can and does happen. At this point I would probably do a repair install of XP, if you can't get any input devices to work.

Did a repair install, had to find drivers along the way, but it's working now. Some/Most of the vista theme is there still even.

Good to hear it's working. Some XP themes, especially those that use cracked system files, can cause a lot of issues.

Back