Laptop Cooler when docked

mlapgw

Gawd
I have recently recieved a Dell Precision M6700 laptop from work. This is a 17" laptop. I use it for AutoCad 2013LT, Revit 2013, and Showcase 2013.

I am occasionally experiencing crashes in Showcase. I notice before the crash the GPU fan is really ramped up. Showcase is graphically intense so the Quadro K3000m inside is getting a workout. I think the crashes are due to heat.

What is the best laptop cooler I can buy that will fit while I'm docked? The laptop is sitting in a docking station. It is a Dell e-port plus dock. It encroaches on the back side of the laptop about 4"

Um. Usually, most laptop coolers will not fit with a dock. In addition, try it out of the docking port, as the dock may be contributing to the overheat, due to blocking ventilation.

I, too, am looking for a decent laptop cooler.

if it is recently doing this where it did not previously i would try cleaning the vents with canned air likely you have a dust clog and the fan can't keep up...

From the pictures i found the dock covers part of the vent do you really really need to use the dock the only thing i can think of is the dock adds 2 dvi ports and 2 hdmi lots of usb and ps2. So either you need 2-4 extra monitors on this thing or lots and lots of usb...

I would say you would be better off with a desktop workstation rather than a laptop if that is the case...

Last edited:
Back