Laptop + external monitor

Pankitus

n00b
I'm trying to put a system together for a friend. She would prefer a laptop that is more portable and lightweight than a 17" because she does not want to tote that weight all over the place. She would also like to use it as a desktop replacement, and (this is key) must especially be able to run a larger monitor (24" - 27"). She is not a gamer, so I'm thinking she should be OK for the web browsing/email/picture editing that she does using a laptop. She would also like to try and get the latest and greatest, and her income is such that cost is irrelevant. One last note, she works in a business environment and wants a laptop that fits in that environment; a Dell XPS gaming laptop, while great for a gamer like myself, does not fit well with the environment she works in.

I've shopped Dell, HP, Gateway, Apple, and Sony. It would seem that all the venders except Sony and Apple view the 15" laptop bracket as entry level. They don't even seem to have the option to build something better than baseline. She is used to the Windows environment, so I've narrowed this down to Sony FZ for now. 2.6 GHz processor, 4GB Ram, NVidia 8400M GT, and a 7200 RPM hd are far better than the options allowed by the other venders. However, for some odd reason, it would appear that Sony did not put a docking station portal on it.:( The laptop also does not have a DVI output built in, but it does have an HDMI jack.

I don't know much about HDMI, so I'm not sure if this is an input, an output, or acts as both. I also found a 24" BenQ and a 24" Gateway monitor that have HDMI ports on them, but I'm a little fuzzy on how that would work. I read something somewhere that mentioned the resolution would not be the same as the monitors, so it would produce black bars on top and bottom or stretch the image to fit. I'm not sure that would be Kosher, especially since she works with a lot of pictures. Making sure that the laptop runs a larger monitor is probably her most important concern.

Sony has an 13.3" SZ model that does allow for a docking station, (and that docking station appears to have DVI-D on it, unlike the guy at Best Buy who told me it was not possible to get a laptop or a docking station that had DVI output on it.) However, the 13.3" screen may be a little on the small side for her tastes. The Sony CR and NR are more baseline models, so not really in the running. Are there other brands you guys might suggest that would fit this scenario?

HDMI is essentialy a DVI with sound. You just need HDMI-DVI adapter/cable and are ready to go.
Does she really need top of the line processor for her?

You can have Dell D630 (14" screen) and D830 (15,4") configured with the 2.6 GHz processor option, although it's not really the best performence per price ratio. Both work with the standard dell port replicator/dock with DVI.

HDMI is essentialy a DVI with sound. You just need HDMI-DVI adapter/cable and are ready to go.
Does she really need top of the line processor for her?

You can have Dell D630 (14" screen) and D830 (15,4") configured with the 2.6 GHz processor option, although it's not really the best performence per price ratio. Both work with the standard dell port replicator/dock with DVI.

For the needs she has now, a baseline model would be more than enough. However, she wants something that will last as she hates going through the process of buying a new computer. A top of the line computer now will be better for longer. That and I want to be sure it runs that bigger higher resolution screen without any problems.In any case, with her income bracket, a few thousand dollars one way or the other is meaningless.

I didn't know there was such a thing as an HDMI -> DVI adapter cable. Does it degrade signal quality in this conversion? I'm thinking I could skip the docking stationg alltogather and just have her plug in the HDMI cable. Everything else could be wireless.

And also, thanks for the heads up with Dell. Apparently I needed to look under small business rather than home/office. I was wondering where the heck their upper end computers were.

Thanks for the link. I'll have to take a more detailed look at that once I get home from work.

No prob. I know that AVA has a ton of support in these forums for its desktop configuations, so assume they'd do as well on notebooks.

I just ordered a Compal FL90 for my wife. After upgrading the configuration to our needs, it topped out at little more'n $1,100.

Look through the various models; I see that some of them have docking stations and others do not. In any case, I'll bet you can find something to your liking. The overall price will likely be a bit higher than a Dell, etc., but you'll get a custom-built machine with higher quality parts.

steve

I didn't know there was such a thing as an HDMI -> DVI adapter cable. Does it degrade signal quality in this conversion? I'm thinking I could skip the docking stationg alltogather and just have her plug in the HDMI cable. Everything else could be wireless.

They are both digital signal so I don't imagine there is a loss of quality

Now, on to the next issue. I've been reading up on Nvidia's website about these mobile GPU's as I am not very familiar with them. In the technical specs for the 8400M series, it lists the following for maximum supported resolutions:

Dual-link DVI outputs for digital flat panel display resolutions up to 2560x1600

Well, first things first, I don't believe the laptops that use this GPU have any DVI outputs built in much less a duel link DVI port. However, the support for it is reassuring.

What I do not understand is the specs for the Quadro NVS 140M, which is included in the Dell model and many others. Specs for this list a maximum supported resolution of 1600 x 1200. That's even for the 510M with up to 512MB. Are they just kidding? I am hoping this is a typo as it does not make any sense to me why the max supported resolution would be so low for a new GPU released in 2007. Heck, I'd assume the NVS GPU is the same used in the 8400M repackaged with a 'for business stuff' sticker and charged extra for.

Have you looked at Asus. 2 smaller but powerful models come to mind. The U3S and the F9S

THe U3S is a 13.3" screen with hdmi out, and it will do 1900x1200 as well as send audio as well.

The F9S is a 12.1" screen with HDMI as well, both very good looking laptops.

The graphics are nothing special, Geforce 8400M G but if she's not planning on gaming you should be alright.

http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=1784&l1=5&l2=75&l3=480&l4=0

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=5&l2=75&l3=565&l4=0&model=1809&modelmenu=1

I would second the Dell latitude idea.

A d630 + docking station + 24+" external lcd is a great match. Since it's the business line it will match up well.

I use a D620 with the nvidia onboard for my 24" lcd at work and have no issues running it at the 1920x1200 resolution.

For the needs she has now, a baseline model would be more than enough. However, she wants something that will last as she hates going through the process of buying a new computer. A top of the line computer now will be better for longer. That and I want to be sure it runs that bigger higher resolution screen without any problems.In any case, with her income bracket, a few thousand dollars one way or the other is meaningless.

If thats what she wants.

Not really. It's all digital.

Look through the various models; I see that some of them have docking stations and others do not. In any case, I'll bet you can find something to your liking. The overall price will likely be a bit higher than a Dell, etc., but you'll get a custom-built machine with higher quality parts.

Which ones of those have dockins stations?
I think they price will be way lower then Dell. Right along with the build quality and support.

What I do not understand is the specs for the Quadro NVS 140M, which is included in the Dell model and many others. Specs for this list a maximum supported resolution of 1600 x 1200. That's even for the 510M with up to 512MB. Are they just kidding? I am hoping this is a typo as it does not make any sense to me why the max supported resolution would be so low for a new GPU released in 2007. Heck, I'd assume the NVS GPU is the same used in the 8400M repackaged with a 'for business stuff' sticker and charged extra for.

Specs for the Quadro cards are way oout of date. My D820 (NVS120) was running an external 1920x1200 screen along with it's main 1680x1050.

Specs for the Quadro cards are way oout of date. My D820 (NVS120) was running an external 1920x1200 screen along with it's main 1680x1050.

This is good to hear and makes sense. Thanks again for the info guys.

A quick look shows that this MSI model has a docking station
And probably a few others, but I'm too tired to look at 'em all right now....

Any laptop can handle those, as they really are just fancy USB hubs that for example can't handle large display resolutions.

Back