laptop for $1200ish

CmaN3

Limp Gawd
Well, im planning on buying a laptop with money from graduation and tax return for college next year. I'm looking to spend around 1200, probably $1400 max. Gonna be using it for all the fun college stuff, and I do like to do a bit of gaming. Mostly playing WoW, HL2, that kinda stuff, I dont care about running stuff at the highest settings, I usually run around 1280*1024. I'm fairly computer savvy but I havent been keeping up with the new tech lately and I dont really know where to look with laptops. Obviously I'd like this to last me for a while.

if you want windows, wait for a deal to crop up on dell. You can usually get a fairly well spec'd 15in laptop from dell around the holidays/back to school time.

I ran a quick configuration and spec'd out an e1520 with a 2ghz core 2 processor, 2gb ram, 8600gt, and a 120gb hard drive for about $1120. if you catch a deal you can probably get even better stuff for cheaper. Oh, and dell allows you to choose whether you want to customize with XP or Vista.

if you want windows, wait for a deal to crop up on dell. You can usually get a fairly well spec'd 15in laptop from dell around the holidays/back to school time.

I ran a quick configuration and spec'd out an e1520 with a 2ghz core 2 processor, 2gb ram, 8600gt, and a 120gb hard drive for about $1120. if you catch a deal you can probably get even better stuff for cheaper. Oh, and dell allows you to choose whether you want to customize with XP or Vista.

I agree here, Dell offers some solid choices at competitive prices.
Other choice may be to find a retailer who sells Clevo notebooks and you can find those at a good deal.

I ran a quick configuration and spec'd out an e1520 with a 2ghz core 2 processor, 2gb ram, 8600gt, and a 120gb hard drive for about $1120.

That sounds about what I'd like. I've always been wary of Dell though, just becuase of some of the horror stores I've heard. Suppose a reformat never hurt anything though :p

Thanks guys.

reformatting is to be expected when you purchase any computer from a major manufacturer. My dell came with a bunch of bloatware, and rather than delete it all I simply reformatted and started fresh. Also, if you wait until after christmas I bet you can snag a really good deal.

Back