Laptop HDD to USB?

Providence

Limp Gawd
Hello--

I'm fairly familiar with PC HD data transfering, but I've got a laptop that's nearly dead. I think if I mount it as a slave drive, I can probably transfer the files I need. Usually works on nearly-dead full-size drives.

The only problem is I have no idea what kind of connection the Inspiron 1000 takes, since it's definately not SATA or IDE...I can't just plug it into my computer! Does anyone know what this is, and if I can get a USB adapter or something so I can get my files?

Thanks if you can help!

It's IDE. First, Dell sometimes has this connector on their HD's that you have to remove (it's black), second, you need a 3.5-2.5 ide adapter to connect to your desktop. Or a 2.5 usb enclosure if you wannta use usb but it's $3 for the adapter and $15 for the enclosure sooo...

2.5" drives use 44pin connections. There are 44-pin to 40pin adapters or you can get a 2.5" USB enclosure.

My Latitude d610 and d600 had an adapter from dell on them that converted 44 pins into a `card' type interface. it comes off with some force.

Back