Laptop Hinges

Kassem

Limp Gawd
My laptop has become weak at the hinges. Is it possible to get them tightened for fixed?

Usually yes. Sometimes its a bushing that needs to be replaced, sometimes its just a screw that needs to be tightened. Check with your manufacturer. Or post your model here and maybe someone has experience with it.

Is it still under warranty? If so, then you could probably get them to look at it... But I don't know. Most of the time its just that the screws loosen up.

No, its not under warranty.

I also have no clue how to open it up and what screws to tighten etc.

Its definitely not fun to use like this though.. i'd like to fix it/get it fixed.

I'm sure any respectable PC tech could look at it for you and see if it is possible to fix it. I'm sure it is, but it may cost a bit if parts plus labor are both needed.

Remember that you can download the Hardware Maintenance Manual for all ThinkPads from the IBM/Lenovo website in PDF form. If you want to have a go at dismantling the machine, use the manual or you'll either break something or never get it back together. It gives you step-by-step instructions, with pictures, of exactly what to do to access different parts. If you take the machine to a local PC shop or the like, it would also be best to give them a copy.

you can get replacement hinges from ebay i had to replace mine on my dell laptop

I realize that this is a semi-old thread, but I'd like to stress the need for you to fix those hinges. I have an old Dell Latitude that the hinges went bad on, and the screen would often fall back or forward very violently. After just a month or two of this, the conductors in the ribbon cable between the screen and the chassis started to break, leading to all sorts of nasty viewing problems. I was able to buy a new ribbon cable and hinges on eBay for fairly reasonable prices, so what morpheus6d9 suggested is your best bet. Just google repair manuals for your particular laptop's model, they usually give fairly step-by-step instructions on taking the laptop apart. It's putting it back together that gets difficult (I still have a few mysterious "spare parts") :rolleyes:

Just google repair manuals for your particular laptop's model
As I said, you should go to the IBM/Lenovo website where they freely distribute the official manual.

As I said, you should go to the IBM/Lenovo website where they freely distribute the official manual.

Sorry, I skipped over your post for some reason when I speed-read the topic. I must agree with it fully, though; any attempt to take a laptop apart without proper instructions will result in either frustration at not being able to get to that one part or broken pieces, especially if you end up yanking on the bezel.

Back