Laptop Mod Questions -Painting, Stickers or Vinyl

Caffeinated

[H]ard|Gawd
If this is supposed to go in case mods, I'm sorry, but it's for a laptop too, so I'm not sure where it would be best to ask.

Someone posted a link a while ago for these laptop covers that were like high quality acrylic stickers to apply to your laptop. I'm interested in doing a mod, but I don't know if I am up to a full blown paint job. Someone else was talking about using vinyl paint that you can brush on, but I'm not sure how good that would look. If I'm going to paint it, I would want to go full force and do a full dissassembly.

My first question is does anyone know about the acrylic stickers, how well they work, and where I could get one? I'd like to see what my options are.

Second has anyone tried this vinyl paint that you paint on with a brush? I have heard about some people using it, but I don't know where/what/how to get. If so, how good it is?

Third, has anyone here gone the full blown take it apart and paint it route, what kind of paint did you use, and how difficult it was.

Thanks in Advance.

they are far out ..thanks mate ..gonna grab one :)

ok maybe not

Fusion 13 Laptop Skins - $34.99
Shipping calculate $30.60
Total: $65.59

lmao is there a uk company that do these ?

have done full disasemblys and paints on every lappy i have owned
apple G3 lappy now has yellow racing stripes
and modded keyboard (transparent) with 8 low power blue led's so its back lit at night
Sony F-590 is now painted completely gloss black
Panasonic toughbook 71 now painted day glow orange
(used onsite for netowrk trouble shooting)
i kept leaveing it in dorms and never noticed it on the way out after fixing the problem, until i painted it. havent left it anywhere since

and new micron T3000 now has ferrari red body with black highlights
also modded screen bexel to add high power mini white LED to shine on keyboard like ibm think light(runs off of power going to inverter for screen backlight)
with sub switch (adjust with a ball point pen) loaced on the side of the base of the unit

took about 1 hour for disasembly of any of the units
painting and mods took 3 days
and about 2 hours for reasembly
no missing pieces and no extra pieces
used industrial farm grade spray paint
it hods up better than most anything else and the colors are more vibrent

i just got an IBM r51 lappy and i'm interested: what does industrial farm grade spray paint mean? like go down to ace hardware and pick up some spray paint? I painted my desktop using that stuff and it worked great, so i assume that's what you mean, but just wanted to check.

also: you have pics? those sound like some cool lookin lappys :)

I don't think there's any way I could bring myself to paint my IBM :eek:

is there a company that makes see through panels for laptops, so you could see the insides? or a barebones laptop? - that comes disassembled and needs HDD,DVD, etc?

tiebird321 said:
have done full disasemblys and paints on every lappy i have owned
apple G3 lappy now has yellow racing stripes
and modded keyboard (transparent) with 8 low power blue led's so its back lit at night
Sony F-590 is now painted completely gloss black
Panasonic toughbook 71 now painted day glow orange
(used onsite for netowrk trouble shooting)
i kept leaveing it in dorms and never noticed it on the way out after fixing the problem, until i painted it. havent left it anywhere since

and new micron T3000 now has ferrari red body with black highlights
also modded screen bexel to add high power mini white LED to shine on keyboard like ibm think light(runs off of power going to inverter for screen backlight)
with sub switch (adjust with a ball point pen) loaced on the side of the base of the unit

took about 1 hour for disasembly of any of the units
painting and mods took 3 days
and about 2 hours for reasembly
no missing pieces and no extra pieces
used industrial farm grade spray paint
it hods up better than most anything else and the colors are more vibrent

:eek:

Dude, that is truly [H]core! Can you post pictures? Pretty please?

PS - Thanks for the link to the polygfx site...that was the one I was looking for. Thank you to everyone that replied.

Back