Laptop seems to overheat or get high temperatures, even when idle.

enzio

Weaksauce
I'm not sure if this will help, but the model is Compaq Presario R3000. As I write this, the laptop is running terribly high at 77 degrees C. This seems very high, since I'm only running Firefox and Everest in the background. Just before, I believe it overheated since it shut down while I was playing Counter-Strike. Is there anyway to decrease the temperature on the laptop? It's currently sitting on a desk, and it's not like it's very hot inside the room at the moment. I did some research and apparently the AMD Athlon 3200+ mobile edition is designed to reach temperatures up to 95 degrees C. This sudden turning off of the laptop has only starting occuring fairly recently. Could it possibly need a reformat, are some of the hardware parts getting faulty? There is no longer a warranty on this thing, so I'm out of luck there if it is a big problem.

could be a clogged/faulty fan or need to replace the thermal compount between the heatsink and cpu.

i second the compound. I mean depends how bad it overheated before, but i guess some of it could have oozed away from the component it was on. This just crossed my mind, but could a heat pipe warp ? Warp away from CPU / GPU. Anyway. good luck

Hehe, for some reason I never thought of this, but I used compress air, and dusted out the laptop. The temperature is about 20 degrees celcius cooler.

Back