Laptop vs Desktop

MTXR

[H]ard|Gawd
So i have both laptop and a desktop. I have used a desktop far more than a laptop.

I been recently using my laptop more basically because of shear need of mobility at school. I recently found myself getting annoyed at my laptop because it wasn't as comfortable to use compared to my desktop.

I have asked several people at my school which do they prefer to use an overwhelmingly they said they liked to use a laptop more.

Now this is not a debate of which is more powerful etc...

What do you prefer and why?

I don't have a laptop, but my sister does. I much perfer a desktop with a full size keyboard and a 20+ inch widescreen. Over any laptop.

I use both about the same. My desktop is far more powerful, definitely has a nicer keyboard (MS Ergonomic 4000), a mouse (MX1000), and twice as much screen real estate (24" + 20" monitors). It is, however, rather heavy to carry to work, the library and classes. Considering I'm not home most of the day, I find my laptop getting very heavy usage during the school year, and almost as much during the summer because I do a lot of work on it (since the systems at work are locked down rather tight, and I'm expected to do things that require admin access without having it. . . but I'm digressing by this point).

Ultimately it comes down to where I am, and what my needs are at the time.

i use my desktop exclusively for gaming/tv watching, and some minimal programming (under windows).. but my laptop is running linux and it handles all my email, browsing, IMing and general work -- I find I can type a lot better with a laptop and it's a great system to run with Linux. Plus I have ALL my usable settings and configurations on it, so I can go out and fix a broken machine or network and not worry that I forgot something. Just always nice to have 2 machines, one being mobile and one being stationary. Different functions entirely

Also.. windows tends to jack itself up every 6 months or so.. this gentoo linux build has been stable (but upgraded) for 3 years now (and moved between 3 different laptops!)

Had a very nice laptop, sold it and bought new desktop parts. That answer your question? :p

Unless you need the portability, there is no use in a laptop. And I mean "need" in the sense of "my class requires one" or "I do a lot of work in the field," not "need" in the sense of "I like to sit on the bed while I IM people and post on hardforums" ;)

For me it's just down to gaming power. Even a "good" laptop graphics card like a mobility x1600 or a GeForce 7600/7700 Go can't play anything new at full settings with decent consistent frames.

Overall, laptops make good secondary machines, but if it's got to be one or the other, a desktop is definitely the way to go. Unless you like surfing the interwebs while you're dropping the kids off at the pool.

I prefer my laptop because I am mobile throughout the day and it has a better keyboard. The only time I ever use my desktop is to play games. Though I also use the PC as a NAS.

I like my desktop, but I find myself using my laptop for everything except for gaming and watching dvd's. Even though my desktop's hardware is like a million times better, I still like the ability to take my laptop anywhere and use it, and I like to keep my gaming computer clean of all the programs and random widgets that try out on my laptop.

Laptop: 1.4ghz Celeron (more like 1.39) 512 ram (more like 480), 40 gig hd (mostly filled), 15in display (kinda plain). I really like the touchpad though, really smooth.

Desktop: amd 3800+, 1024 ram, 200 gig hd, 19inch widescreen, 9 in 1 card reader.

Basically, if it doesn't have to do with heavier graphics, I do it on the laptop. Surfing Hardforum seems to be occuring more on my desktop though, because the 1.4 ghz proc can't really process jpg's very well. Actually, more like the processor just plain sucks haha!

Interesting.

I prefer the desktop because i have dual screens and can get more work done.

I have been thinking about having more than 1 laptop it might alleviate my problem when i am out and about.

The only problem i have is not being able to have more than one screen to work on while i am out and about.

Who here carries 2 laptops with them at school or in the field?

If i were to get 2 laptops it would be of course a tablet PC and then maybe like a t60 to compliment it.

apples and oranges.

If I want to play the latest game at 1920x1200 with all the eyecandy... I can't do that on the laptop.

If I want to throw a computer in my backpack that I can use on the train or at the airport, or at a meeting at work, I can't do that with the desktop.

As far as personal preference goes, I'll take the desktop in any situation I don't have to carry the computer around, since it is more capable in every feature other than transportability.

I use both and keep 'em synced up. Desktop for heavy duty work, laptop to play SNES games during boring classes *snore* and type stuff up in the cafe or in the lounge. That's why I get away with using a P3-800MHz Dell C400 running FC5. :)

When I got my laptop for school, I thought that I would only use it at school, but it has become my main computer. I barely use my desktop anymore. Pretty much I only use my desktop for lightscribe labeling, folding, or when I have a really long memo to write (dual monitors and a more comfortable keyboard). I like the convenience of being able to work anywhere. And, sadly, my laptop is a lot faster also.

I have both, but since getting my second widescreen for my desktop I honestly cannot stand using my laptop. Too small, not powerful enough and just kind of a pain in the ass really, and truthfully, I have no use for it.

I have a laptop at work and a desktop at home and I far prefer my desktop.

1. Despite the specs on the laptop actually being superior to those of my desktop, my desktop is actually faster (both according to benches and personal "feel").
  2. I like the full keyboard with the numpad and the fact that I have a 24" widescreen monitor at home is just icing on the cake.
  3. I can get more power for the money when I build if I go desktop and I can pick the components myself which is a huge plus.
  4. I dislike laptop keyboard immensely for extended periods of typing. I find my accuracy goes down when I'm at home on my normal keyboard after having used the laptop for a while.
It's not that I don't like my laptop: it's handy as hell and the portability is definitely nice. However, I would never want one as a primary computer. As a backup it's great, but for my normal everyday use, I couldn't stand not having a desktop.

I bought the laptop for mobility. But even at home I find myself gravitating towards it. It has the most current versions of all my files.

And who doesn't like the ability to unplug from everything, and keep surfing without interruption while "taking care of business"?

And the reality is that the desktop is nothing more than a server anymore. With way more CPU and monitor than a server deserves, but a server. bittorrent, file server, and music player mostly. Anything I need to do on it can be done just as easily running through remote desktop.

Now for the moment the supcom beta is being played on the desktop because it has the power. But early next year a new gaming laptop will replace it in that task. Monitor really isn't worth selling, so for a couple hundred bucks and their screen, I might trade it for my parents 17"er. I really dont need 20" on a server.

I prefer whatever I don't own at any given time. Right now I have a laptop, so a new desktop build sounds like fun.

Before I had this laptop, my desktop was getting boring and a laptop sounded fun :)

The cycle will continue.....

I sold my gaming desktop in early October, and haven't really missed it much since (I should note that I just don't have time to game - otherwise my lappy wouldn't be enough).

That said, if you enjoy portability, but don't like using the notebook keyboard when you're at home why not just get a USB hub and plug in your peripherals to it? When you get home you can set the laptop down and use your home keyboard/mouse. In a similar light, if when at home you want more desktop real estate, just plug in a monitor. When I'm using my desk at home I have the screen on my notebook and a 20.1 inch widescreen that's great to watch movies on.

I find that i need portability and lots of screen space. Working on spreadsheets and scrolling sucks balls. Also trying to type notes from an online video sucks balls.

So i am really leaning to getting 2 laptops and having them with me when i am out and about.

I am usually at the library all day and at school 14 hours a day. I wish i could lug my screens around but i can't.

Back