Laptop With Security Info Stolen…Kinda

HardOCP News

[H] News
A laptop containing pre-enrollment records of approximately 33,000 people was stolen from the San Francisco International Airport forcing officials to temporarily suspend enrollment in the new “Registered Traveler” program. Wait….no it wasn’t.

The laptop was found Tuesday morning in the same company office where it supposedly had gone missing, said spokeswoman Allison Beer. "It was not in an obvious location," said Beer, who said an investigation was under way to determine whether the computer was actually stolen or had just been misplaced.

"I told you I hid it so no one would steal it!"
"Well, where is it?"
"I don't actually remember, I think someone stole it."
"WHAT??!? Alert the presses!"
"Just kidding, here it is"

Steven Wright: "Everything in my house was stolen, and was replaced with an exact replica."

I hope they are fined big time for not having a proper encryption solution applied on the thing.

"The laptop was found Tuesday morning in the same company office where it supposedly had gone missing."

Priceless. :D At least this means no personal data was compromised.

This kinda makes you wonder. I guess it is better to not have to send letters to all of your customers offering them years of free credit monitoring, but this has to be pretty embarrassing still.

I guess this embarrassment will go away a lot faster, and their name got into the news. They might actually have helped themselves a bit. That's daft cunning of them.

My question is this...

WHY IS THIS TYPE OF INFORMATION STORED ON A LAPTOP?!?!?!?!?!

They should be fined for not properly storing information of a personal nature. Seriously, why is this stuff not stored on a file server in a secure data center? Ever heard of remote access? VPN? Yeesh.

I wonder if this is just a cover-up story. Their entire business would be ruined if the stolen laptop story was true. The corporation's life depends on that story not being true. I'm sure they would do pretty much anything to pretend that never happened.

My question is this...

WHY IS THIS TYPE OF INFORMATION STORED ON A LAPTOP?!?!?!?!?!

They should be fined for not properly storing information of a personal nature. Seriously, why is this stuff not stored on a file server in a secure data center? Ever heard of remote access? VPN? Yeesh.

It never left the office, so I don't see the issue. Now if it had been on the back seat or some guys car, I can see a serious issue.

It never left the office, so I don't see the issue. Now if it had been on the back seat or some guys car, I can see a serious issue.

What matters if it leaves the office ot not? It should still not be stored on a device that could easily be taken home or stolen like that. It should be on a server and encrypted.

What matters if it leaves the office ot not? It should still not be stored on a device that could easily be taken home or stolen like that. It should be on a server and encrypted.

It matters becuase if it doesn't get connected to a public network and it does not leave the office then there is no problem.

Oh and btw, servers gets stolen and some even gets taken home. Don't think that servers are somehow magically built into the foundation of the building and only accessed by legit personel.

I'd rather have data on a laptop not connected to a network in a secure office rather than on a server with reasonable security thats accessed by hundreds if not thousands and which can be accessed by crackers.

Back