laptop won't post with new RAM

I have a Dell Inspiron 3500 that I am working on for a neighbor and they wanted the RAM upgraded among other things so I looked up the specs for what it took and ordered 2x128mb sticks of SODIMM PC133 RAM. I realized that the computer takes PC-66. So I thought, well usually the RAM just down clocks for the appropriate speed so there shouldnt be a problem. Well long story short, I put in the new RAM and the computer will not post. I put the old RAM back in, it posts. What is wrong?

The new RAM that I got is Kingston PC133 that runs on 3.3V. I'm thinking that the problem is voltage related or that I need PC100 because the motherboard can't recognize anything higher or something. If anyone has any ideas or can confirm one of mine, please help!

ok, bumping this. I really need an answer to see if I really need to put him through an RMA waiting game.

Double check that the ram is very well seated. I had a problem with some new compatible ram that took a bit of convincing to seat properly.

Beyond that sorry :(

Dell bios are not known for their flexibility, especially on the notebooks. I would suggest you contact them. Also, you could check and see if the system will boot with a single 128mb DIMM. You may be facing a module density limitation here that the chipset simply cannot overcome.

The laptop according to the Dell website can handle 256MB total memory (128 in each slot). So thats what I ordered. I tried putting in only 1 stick and still no luck. However, I know it can handle PC100 because I borrowed a stick of 128 PC100 from a friend out of his old laptop to test and it booted with no problems. I'm thinking it is because I got PC133 instead of PC100. However, I will try fiddling with it to try to get it to work. I have a few more days before the deadly to RMA is over, so Ill see what I can do.

This could also be an IC density issue. I would contact Dell. If you get a competent tech, he should be able to tell you if the memory you have is compatible. Or, can you tell us what chipset the MOBO is based on? That may solve it if we can determine the characteristics of your modules.

I'm sure I'm way late on this but, I noticed it while doing a search.

The problem you are having is related to the limitation of the motherboards chipset, most likely a 440BX or LX. The new ram you purchased is incompatible because it is high density and the motherboard does not know what's going on. You need low density 128MB modules, which are PC100 (NOT PC133). Most, (possibly all) PC133 chips are high density, and will not work.

I've ran into a few older computers that won't boot with PC133, but will boot with PC100 fine.

According to Crucial's memory selector, 2x128MB PC133 should be fine from them, so I would imagine it's a low density needed / high density provided situation.

Back