larger than 512 byte sector size compatibility

gojirasan

n00b
I am considering the use of the Variable Sector Size (VSS) feature of Highpoint's RAID cards to allow me to run my new 3 TB drive in 32 bit XP while recognizing its full size. Instead of 512 byte sectors Highpoint's software allows the use of 1k, 2k, or 4k sectors so that larger drive sizes can be addressed with 32 bits. The main problem that I see with this is software incompatibility. I assume this is why the newer advanced format 4k sector drives have the ability to emulate 512 byte sectors. But I haven't read about any specific examples of software that requires 512 byte sectors to work. Anyone have any experience with this? Anyone know of any software that doesn't work with non-standard sector sizes? I think I read that some of the advanced format Hitachi drives actually have a jumper to switch off the 512 byte sector emulation (makes me wonder if turning off the emulation would make the drive fully addressable in XP 32). Anyone try that? I would probably use 4k sector sizes to match the advanced format drives in terms of software compatibility. This drive wouldn't be a boot drive. Just a data drive.

Back