Laser\Water Cutting Service

HRPC

Weaksauce
I have emailed a few places and don't get any responses. Any recommendations on where I can get my Lian Li case cut?

Do it yourself, it is not that hard. Just be sure to have edge trim for it, the bare edges usually look like shit.

nope. Looking for lettering and a basic design to be cut into the case

HRPC said:
nope. Looking for lettering and a basic design to be cut into the case
Oh. I don't know about that, I just use my laser cutting computer at my dads work. Does the job.

You'll either pay a lot of money, or you can just dremel it (will turn out ok but not as good as laser) :)

Good luck

Thanks. I am looking at laser precision cutting site now. Did you put your layout in dxf format like they request? I assume that is some type of CAD format. I have a jpeg but not a dxf. Any cheap programs out there that have a low learning curve where I can put it into that format?

Thank you

HRPC said:
Thanks. I am looking at laser precision cutting site now. Did you put your layout in dxf format like they request? I assume that is some type of CAD format. I have a jpeg but not a dxf. Any cheap programs out there that have a low learning curve where I can put it into that format?

Thank you
I know Corel Draw has a tracing function to vectorize it, but you could probably also have a local sign or award shop do it for you. There'll be a fee (Probably close to $100, depending on how complex it is), and I don't know if they'll do it if you're not buying a sign or award from them. The laser cutting place might also provide a vectorizing service, too.

Rather than email, don't be afraid to approach a local company and ask them. However to get what you want, sometimes you've gotta shell out the cash.

I guess it all depends on your design really.

HRPC said:

Thank you

I did send them a .dxf format like they requested. I used CadStd Lite to do that--it was one of the few free CAD programs that I found that I could use. Give that a shot. I think you'll probably be able to pick it up pretty easy...

^^ Laser precision cutting. +1 vote from me. I've heard nothing but good things about them...

Darkside said:
Can we see what they did for you ????

Yes... shortly. I've been meaning to start a project log about my mod, but keep thinking I need to do "just one more thing..." I need to get over that and just start the damn log so people can see what I've been talking about on various forums.

Hopefully by the end of the week. In the meantime I'll see if I can't throw up a couple of pictures of the cuts they made for me...

OK, I can't find the images of the side panels when they were freshing cut. But here are two pictures of the finished product.

This is the left side panel (as you're looking at the front of the computer). I had them cut the Air Force symbol into it. Not an overly complicated design, but they did it perfectly.
DSCN2697.jpg

The cut for the right side panel was even easier--just a square to display the LCD that I've put in the side of the computer.
DSCN2412.jpg

Look for more pictures in my worklog...when I finally get it started...

For Waterjetting, if you can find a local place that will help you out with the drawing if you don't know CAD/don't have it that would be the best. If you are willing to send the part out or don't have a local place, I could reccomend a few places. DC Waterjet in Nevada, LMK in NJ, Auqacut in Upstate NY are all places I or friends have used in the past with no problems. Waterjetting a pattern in a case side is probably going to be pretty cheap IMO.

Back