LaserJet 1012 Installation on W7

opus13

n00b
so...

went to install a LJ1012 on my win7 box, and although it installs seemingly seamless (and device shows up in control panel) no printing actually occurs.

My Steps thus far:

Win7.7100.x86

Installed under the DOT4 port

Select Vista32 drivers fresh from HP

Installation Completes and Device shows up in CPanel with green check mark

Open notepad and print text --> icon turns to yellow hazard and doc stays in the spooler with no status.

so... Rclick printer and 'troubleshoot' only to get "Troubleshooter cannot identify the problem".

as soon as I cancel the document the icon status changes back to a green check mark.

?!@#$?

First of all, right click the printer icon and go to Printer Properties and print test page.

If that doesn't print then uninstall the printer, turn off the printer, reboot. Go back to Devices and click File Device Installation and choose automatic. Then turn the printer on and let Windows connect to Windows Update to get the driver. Then make sure it is set as your default.

I'll test mine out in the morning. It is currently hooked up thru my old WHS box, but I'll direct connect it to my W7 machine and report back.

*EDIT*
Sorry, I have a LJ 1018 and not the 1012. But I think I may have a similar problem. I connected the 1018 to my W7 netbook and it wasn't able to install the printer driver. And the recommended download didn't help it either. Just saw your thread on sevenforums and it doesn't look like they have been much help either. I'll take a look in the morning and see if I can help.

Last edited:
hopefully HP doesn't abandon these cheaper printers by not supporting Win7, as I plan on putting Win7 on all my machines in October and I have an HP P1006 that I use for day to day printing since it is small, quiet, and cheap.

Ok, I found this on the net for my 1018 and it worked, so I'd try it for your 1012 and report back.

What did work for me: after the installation process has ended (and failed), go to start menu -> devices and printers -> add a printer.
Then, click on "have disk" and browse to where the installation process copied the drivers.
the default is: Program Files/Hewlett-Packard/Laserjet 1018 Drivers...
Now the printer should be recognized and work normally

Make sure to replace the driver location with your folder. When asked for which port to use, I selected "USB001 Virtual Printer port for USB", yours should be similar.

out of sheer frustration i just unplugged it after a while and dismissed it. a few days went by, and i plugged it back in... and it worked just fine.

yeah. wtf.

Back