Late to the Metro 2033 fan club

Yesterday I run out of all ammunition except the knife on the level when you save the kid from mutants. At one point I just sit in the corner of the corridor and was swinging knife before my face trying to kill all waves of mutants running at me. After 5 minutes swinging I realised that mutants will never stop and decided to run from them. It worked though I got a couple of bites at my back and almost died.

I'm wondering how people able to save thousands of rounds. Chapter 5 and I feel like I need to kill someone to collect rounds from te corpse to kill next eney with these collected rounds to get 1-2 more rounds to kill next enemy to collect his rounds :)

necro thread resurrection.

I bought it back during hte steam sale and finally got around to it. I thought it was great!

I was constant worried about filters and ammo but always seemed to find what I needed (although I may have died a few times before I found it).

One thing that made the first half of the game tough for me though was I didn't know how to use the charger or night vision goggles for a long time. That makes the sneaky sections ESPECIALLY hard.

I think the single hardest part of the game for me was this section where you can turn off a generator, go up 3 flights of stairs to a landing. At the top is a door leading into a tunnel where there was about 10 guys right there waiting for you. I must have died 20 times trying to get past that part.

I also didn't know the trick about staring at the librarians until reading this thread. I remember someone in game mentioning it but I had forgotten it. I either killed them or ran.

I finished the "if it's hostile kill it" ending tonight. Since I seldom play a game twice I just watched the second ending on youtube.

Also kind of glad I waited until now to play it. It ran great at 1080p on the rig in my sig with max settings.

Last edited:
I've had it in my Steam library for a long time. Played maybe an hour when it first came out and set it aside.

Anyway, began playing last night. I love that I can set the audio to be in Russian. Super great. I always wanted to play STALKER in Ukrainian, or at least Russian.

I enjoyed this one a lot, even though typically I dont like FPS games. It was very short, but the atmosphere was simply fantastic and I cant wait for the next one.

Only FPS I've ever enjoyed more were the first 2 S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games, which are among my all-time favorites of any genre. Seems like those Russians/Easter Europeans really know how to make a great game.

Well there was a lot of over lap with the devs with STALKER/Metro from what I gather. The only real difference between them is that Metro is the linear, story-based one whereas STALKER series was sandbox first, story after. I like them both, and think they are some of the best FPS's around. Metro looks the best though with everything maxed out. When I get a new i7/mobo/ram in a few months, I plan on replaying it with ultra max settings and enjoy the fireworks. It actually plays quite nice with high settings on my system, but I generally want to play this kind of game maxed out.

Better late than never. This game is seriously one of my favorite games ever. Great atmosphere, gameplay, graphics, and story. I can't wait for the sequel "Last Light".

I just got this game. I had a few questions about the video settings. See my sig for system specs. I was wondering about this PhysX option. I'm only asking because I know it's a Nvidia thing and don't know if it is a bigger struggle for AMD to run it. I ran the in game benchmark and got 62FPS with it and 90FPS without it. How does the game play change? Should I have it ON or OFF?

I just got this game. I had a few questions about the video settings. See my sig for system specs. I was wondering about this PhysX option. I'm only asking because I know it's a Nvidia thing and don't know if it is a bigger struggle for AMD to run it. I ran the in game benchmark and got 62FPS with it and 90FPS without it. How does the game play change? Should I have it ON or OFF?

are you dissatisfied with 62 fps? or just trying to pimp your rig? (not that anything is wrong with that. see my sig)

are you dissatisfied with 62 fps? or just trying to pimp your rig? (not that anything is wrong with that. see my sig)

That was average fps. Which means that a lot of the time I might be under that. I like to play with VSync turned ON to avoid tearing. It's really annoying to me. :(

With PhysX turned off I might be able to stay above 60 the entire time.

I just upgraded from a Core 2 Duo and 4000 series ATI card so I'm pretty happy with the new setup. :cool:

Video of physx effects. It's just visual stuff, like AA, it won't affect gameplay, just make stuff look nicer, though metro isn't exactly a physx showcase.

Thanks I'll take a look at that.

I finished the game and uninstalled it and then found out there are multiple endings. Very fun game, I'm gonna play through it again for sure.

Going to be replaying Stalker Shadows of Chernobyl and probably will pick up Clear Sky for the first time. Love games that have an atmosphere.

My first play through took forever, I just kept getting stuck or just totally not being able to find my way through a level (dumb I know) but once I stopped trying to rush through it, and actually let myself immerse in the atmosphere, it became chilling. The ending is insane (when the walls build as you run) and overall I loved it. Can't wait for the next one.

I finished the game and uninstalled it and then found out there are multiple endings. Very fun game, I'm gonna play through it again for sure.

I often don't replay games even if they are good. I just turn to youtube to see the other endings.

For shits and giggles disable DOF instead (or was it Advanced DOF?), I remember that being a bad performance hog for Metro 2033 for next to no improvements on image quality.

But does the game really show actual Physx effects on AMD cards, just as CPU driven?

Yep, I just read the HardOCP article and disabling DoF under Advanced DX11 options did the trick. Much more playable now.

·PitBuLL·;1038762760 said:
This game is making my 4.8GHz i7 and my overclocked GTX 680 feel weak!

insert <can't tell if serious> picture here. :rolleyes:

·PitBuLL·;1038763452 said:
I was being serious. Then I disabled DOF and my framerates doubled.

i played it with an i5 at 4ghz and a 7970. max quality at 1080p res and it ran great

insert <can't tell if serious> picture here. :rolleyes:

·PitBuLL·;1038763452 said:
I was being serious. Then I disabled DOF and my framerates doubled.

why would you doubt it, you won't get relatively decent frames with this enabled no matter how much hardware you throw at it. their implementation of dof was broken from the start, so... I take it this was never fixed.

I just finished this game, Gotta hand it to 'em they did a great job with the story and game! It was a blast playing through the game on my new rig :cool:

Back