Latest Apple Diversity Report

Oh look its this thread again

1. Diversity is racism - check
2. Normal hiring is a complete meritocracy, therefore white people are more qualified - check
3. The woeful cries of the oppressed white male - check

Sad bunch.

Lol. You should go watch Chris Rock's Good Hair and see what a big deal hair is to people of African descent. The ladies, at least, have to spend hundreds of dollars and tens of hours every month just to maintain hair that is considered professional.

Oh, I know that. That wasn't the part I facepalmed at.

You win the internetz! Seriously, though after reading all the systemically racist "Wait, I don't understand why the white boys club is "discriminating" against us poor white boys" comments, this at least made my day. People on here need to look into the term white privilege, recognize that no solution is perfect, and stop taking attempts to fix the system so personally.

;)

Ha white privilege. If you find it give me some. I grew up in the one of the poorest towns in Cincinnati area. My mom is a drug addict who let my Grandma raise me and my dad is a welder who picked me up on the weekends. My grandma worked at a temp service to scrape by and I have been working since 15. We had no car in the house. WHITE PRIVILEGE my ass. F all that jazz. If you disagree come see me and I will take privilege in whippin your ass :) my 2 cents

Ha white privilege. If you find it give me some. I grew up in the one of the poorest towns in Cincinnati area. My mom is a drug addict who let my Grandma raise me and my dad is a welder who picked me up on the weekends. My grandma worked at a temp service to scrape by and I have been working since 15. We had no car in the house. WHITE PRIVILEGE my ass. F all that jazz. If you disagree come see me and I will take privilege in whippin your ass :) my 2 cents
you sound relatively privileged and entitled to me

like we should give some sort of shit about all the stupid choices your family members made? :rolleyes:

Those awful white men. Think of all the horrible things they've done - like discover gasoline and invent the automobile, how to generate and transmit electricity, the internet, phones, smartphones, TVs, airplanes, antibiotics, how DNA works, air conditioning, steel, and on and on. We need to stop that right away!

Sad bunch.

Diversity itself isn't. Hiring in order to promote Diversity is.

You can't do social justice for one issue and not cause the same amount of social INjustice for the same issue.

2. Normal hiring is a complete meritocracy, therefore white people are more qualified - check
3. The woeful cries of the oppressed white male - check

Sad bunch.

HUEHUEHUEHUEHUE

You can't do social justice for one issue and not cause the same amount of social INjustice for the same issue.

But if you don't do some diversity hiring how do you address an issue of insufficient diversity ;)

It seems to me that the companies that are bothering with diversity are the ones that are already at the top and are flush with cash. I doubt hiring a few thousand people for good p.r. affects even 0.1% of their bottom line.

What's most interesting about this statement is that you could have said it 50 years ago or 100 years ago and it would essentially be as true as today.

But if you don't do some diversity hiring how do you address an issue of insufficient diversity ;)

That's why I think the whole diversity thing is flawed, everyone will have their own definition of 'diversity'.

They seem to be preforming a reverse discrimination (or something similar of sort) just to get the minority groups more visible, but must completely destroy the whole concept of equal opportunities.

I am not sure, I feel this whole diversity thing is just a publicity stunt, and eventually will actually deepen the schisms between the races.

Those awful white men. Think of all the horrible things they've done - like discover gasoline and invent the automobile, how to generate and transmit electricity, the internet, phones, smartphones, TVs, airplanes, antibiotics, how DNA works, air conditioning, steel, and on and on. We need to stop that right away!

???

So basically you're saying that hiring anything other than white men is racist?

So basically you're saying that hiring anything other than white men is racist?
He's not saying that at all. Are you so dense that you can't grasp a simple proposition?

What he said is, "Hiring in order to promote Diversity is" by which he hiring people based on their race/gender in order to meet a set quota is discriminatory.

He said nothing at all about hiring only white men. What we want is an equal world where the best person for the position gets the job, regardless of their race, gender or sexuality. That is true equality.

Sadly, that is not what Apple are doing. Instead of hiring the best person for the position Apple are specifically looking to hire people based on their race/gender.

Sir Winston Churchill said, “the fascists of the future will be the anti-fascists” and he is being proven ever more right by the day. What we are seeing here is fascism in the name of "diversity" and "equality".

Is there literally any evidence to suggest that Apple chose to hire less qualified candidates based on their ethnicity or gender?

Is there literally any evidence to suggest that Apple chose to hire less qualified candidates based on their ethnicity or gender?

How come they were never hired before? I can ask these questions too!

He's not saying that at all. Are you so dense that you can't grasp a simple proposition?

What he said is, "Hiring in order to promote Diversity is" by which he hiring people based on their race/gender in order to meet a set quota is discriminatory.

He said nothing at all about hiring only white men. What we want is an equal world where the best person for the position gets the job, regardless of their race, gender or sexuality. That is true equality.

Sadly, that is not what Apple are doing. Instead of hiring the best person for the position Apple are specifically looking to hire people based on their race/gender.

Sir Winston Churchill said, “the fascists of the future will be the anti-fascists” and he is being proven ever more right by the day. What we are seeing here is fascism in the name of "diversity" and "equality".

Quoting someone famous outside of the context of the original quote to underscore something wrong doesn't fix the fact that the original thought is wrong. If you need to lean on the credibility of someone else, you're probably not very secure in the ability of your own thoughts to hold water. Like, self-doubt is then pretty obvious.

It seems to me that the companies that are bothering with diversity are the ones that are already at the top and are flush with cash. I doubt hiring a few thousand people for good p.r. affects even 0.1% of their bottom line.

True, for now. But this "policy", one that is completely based on racism and sexism (in fact, it's the definition of those two terms), will act like a spreading infection at Apple over the long term. Hiring people to fill imagined quotas instead of hiring the best person for the job, year over year, will eventually be their downfall again.

Great job, Tim [Meth] Cook!

Yes, did you read the article? What else can you infer?

Traditionally, like almost any successful business, they were hiring based on qualification and merit ONLY. They have now changed that policy to focus MORE (or ENTIRELY) on gender or race as a qualification, rather than skill or merit being the first choice.

Traditionally, like almost any successful business, they were hiring based on qualification and merit ONLY.

2928543-524906464-Not_sure_if_serious.jpg

Yes, did you read the article?
I did. It seems like you didn't though.

They have now changed that policy to focus MORE (or ENTIRELY) on gender or race as a qualification, rather than skill or merit being the first choice.
Nowhere in the message does it state they've changed their hiring criteria. In fact, it specifically says that they are trying to address the "the broad underlying challenges". They mention expanded recruiting efforts, and educational investments.

Diversity programs at top-tier tech companies are not about changing their hiring standards; they're about changing the types of applicants they get in the first place.

Back