Latest Info 9900GTX 9900GTS 512 and 448 Memory Interface, July Release

I hope the 9900GTX is the real 8800GTX replacement.

Damn these names are getting ridiculous again.

I hope the 9900GTX is the real 8800GTX replacement.

Damn these names are getting ridiculous again.

If the rumored specs are true and the GT200 does indeed power the 9900 GTX, then yes, it will be as powerful as two 8800 GTX and then some, especially at higher resolutions.

If the rumored specs are true and the GT200 does indeed power the 9900 GTX, then yes, it will be as powerful as two 8800 GTX and then some, especially at higher resolutions.

That's marketing suicide though. None of your customers will know to figure out that a 9900 is twice as fast as a 9800, it's only 100 difference!

If a new card was GT200, and twice as fast, then there would be howls of anger from marketing if it wasn't sent out at a 10k series card. Then you get all sorts of new advertising... "next gen!" "unprecedented power!"

If they do ship a GT200 as the 9900 and it's anywhere near twice as fast as the 8800's, then nVidia has officially gone bonkers. Not that I'd complain, of course... give me my GT200.

Well, they already fucked up their product naming by calling a revision chip the geforce 9 series. If ATIs 4870 will be powerful, then they will have to release the gt200 to stay ahead.
If they call it 9900, people won't know how powerful it is. If they name it as a 10 series product, it will undermine the sales of their 9 series.

Intel's naming strategy is confusing as hell and they seem to be doing fine.

Geforce 10800GTX would sound stupid... they cant go above 9900 w/ those numbers

they need something cool

OMGWTF10kGTXXXX

I do not care about the name.
The can name it the Cindy Lauper Magic Carpet 1234 if they want and I do not care.
I will only buy one if the performance improvement over the 8800GTX is substantial and the price is competitive.

I do not care about the name.
The can name it the Cindy Lauper Magic Carpet 1234 if they want and I do not care.
I will only buy one if the performance improvement over the 8800GTX is substantial and the price is competitive.

LOL, I'm with you man!

Can't be worse than the HD 2900XT.

power%20consumpt.png

:eek:

Given that what it takes under load dictates what PSU I need to stock and the 10 watt idle difference there (particularly when you consider the performance difference between the 8800GTX and the HD 2900XT- and, if I'm not mistaken, the XFX 8800GTX XXX is an OC variant), I very much prefer the 30 watt-plus lower load consumptions of the 88xx series over the HD 2900XT's insane 328 watts... which is ridiculous considering in that graphic you're really comparing the 8800GTS and the HD 2900XT (given their performance) and the gap there is only 5 watts idle and 60 watts under load...

Back