Latest iPhone Leak Shows Display Cutout, Removal of Home Button

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Evan Blass has leaked what appears to be the clearest look yet at the face of the iPhone 8: as suspected, Apple has gone with a nearly all-encompassing display with practically no bezel, and the classic Home button has been omitted. Some are dismissing the leak and suggesting that it’s just another fan-made rendering, but it does line up well with all the rumors and spy shots that have dropped so far. (Another image suggests that Apple has moved the fingerprint reader to the back of the phone, but it’s baffling how the company did not use their logo for that function.)

Not sure I'm interested in the 8 (I'm still liking my 6S with it's 3.5mm jack :D ) however, if they really take a chunk out of the screen like that, I wouldn't buy it. Seems stupid to obscure part of the viewing area on a device that plays media, games, etc. Even if the screen, say, extended past 16:9 so that that part didn't impact the normal aspect ratio of media and games, I would probably find it distracting.

And they are including wireless charging. That's the hot shit on this phone that apple finally is including that technology.

These leaks appear to have Apple grabbing the worst design ideas from their competition: rear fingerprint sensor, bezel-less design with weird cutout for the front earhole/camera.

Yeah, I call BS.

Hmmm my phone doesnt have a home button on the front...and it's nearly 3 years old blah blah blah...

These leaks appear to have Apple grabbing the worst design ideas from their competition: rear fingerprint sensor...

I don't understand this opinion with people. I have a nexus 5X and honestly can't imagine a better place for a finger print sensor than the back. I may have to compromise with my next phone because there's never a phone that checks all of the boxes and for whatever reason that is the less popular option but I would be hard pressed to move away from the back mounted sensor. It's the most natural way to hold the phone so it works in ergonomic terms. The front button sensor seems like a much worse option, especially with taller phones where holding it in one hand and moving your thumb to the bottom makes it awkward to hold and more prone to tumble out of your hand. I always feel like my grip is less secure when trying to hit the navigation keys in android and my hands are pretty big. The only time I can see the front button+sensor as beneficial is if your phone is lying on your desk the whole time so you don't have to lift it to unlock. /shrug

...I would be hard pressed to move away from the back mounted sensor. It's the most natural way to hold the phone so it works in ergonomic terms....

This is where I disagree and why I think the rear mount is inferior. Putting my pointer finger in that spot on my 6S feels so unnatural and it is not how my hand defaults when I grab my phone.

Thumbing the home button to wake and unlock the iPhone via TouchID is the most seamless implementation of the fingerprint sensor that, I don't think, can't be beat. Apple would be taking a step back moving it to the rear. Not to mention that a rear sensor limits the fingerprint to 2 fingers: your left and right pointers only. I'm sure you can add more but what would be the point of unlocking it with other fingers if you have the flip the the whole phone back around?

Currently you can set all ten fingers to unlock the iPhone with the front TouchID sensor and it actually helps in situations when I'm cooking or fixing up my bike where my hands are too messy/greasy to use anything but my pinky to unlock it. And in those situations the phone is already facing the correct way.

I do rely on TouchID exclusively since I do not use a PIN code but rather a lengthy full keyboard password.

I don't understand this opinion with people. I have a nexus 5X and honestly can't imagine a better place for a finger print sensor than the back. I may have to compromise with my next phone because there's never a phone that checks all of the boxes and for whatever reason that is the less popular option but I would be hard pressed to move away from the back mounted sensor. It's the most natural way to hold the phone so it works in ergonomic terms. The front button sensor seems like a much worse option, especially with taller phones where holding it in one hand and moving your thumb to the bottom makes it awkward to hold and more prone to tumble out of your hand. I always feel like my grip is less secure when trying to hit the navigation keys in android and my hands are pretty big. The only time I can see the front button+sensor as beneficial is if your phone is lying on your desk the whole time so you don't have to lift it to unlock. /shrug

My fingers never touch the back of my phone. Ok, not never, but not in a consistent and routine sort of way anyway. I hold my phone pretty much by the sides, or some spread out combination. If I'm holding it single-handed, my thumb is always available at the front. If it's sitting on a table, then any finger, and of course I want it on the front. If I have two hands free, the phone rests between my fingers in the palm of my hand, and it would be totally awkward to move a finger to the back of the phone to unlock it. I can't think of any instance where that would be convenient actually. (of course I'm referring to how I use my phone, and you may use yours completely differently) I just don't see a case where I'd be holding my phone in a way where that would work better.

My fingers never touch the back of my phone. Ok, not never, but not in a consistent and routine sort of way anyway. I hold my phone pretty much by the sides, or some spread out combination. If I'm holding it single-handed, my thumb is always available at the front. If it's sitting on a table, then any finger, and of course I want it on the front. If I have two hands free, the phone rests between my fingers in the palm of my hand, and it would be totally awkward to move a finger to the back of the phone to unlock it. I can't think of any instance where that would be convenient actually. (of course I'm referring to how I use my phone, and you may use yours completely differently) I just don't see a case where I'd be holding my phone in a way where that would work better.
You have a hammer, so all you see are nails.

Try out a friends phone with finger print sensor on the back(in a good location, Nexus 5X vs bad location like Samsung S8). It allows truly one handed unlocking and usage of phone in one motion.
When i pick up my 5X, my index finger naturally falls onto sensor and unlocks phone and i start using phone right away. Doesn't matter if i'm taking phone out of pocket, off table, or its already in hand, in the natural grip location, my index finger can unlock with a natural/comfortable swipe. It really allows "easy" one handed operation of phone, in those sticky situations when other hand is busy.

On other hand, if i simulate unlocking phone with a sensor at bottom front of phone, it's always, move grip down phone, unlock, than re-adjust phone to get phone in normal grip for standard usage. Its always a multi-step process.

I guess it just depends how big phone is versus hands, if phone is bigger than hands, back is likely best/easy to reach for index finger. If you have large hand versus phone, thumb swipe might be more natural(not have to change grip).

Wow doing away with the home button, way to be a trend setter Apple, I mean it's not like others (Samsung, LG, etc) haven't already done this.

If Apple has placed a sensor on the back of the phone it doesn't have to be either/or, they could also still have an additional sensor on the front.

You have a hammer, so all you see are nails.

Try out a friends phone with finger print sensor on the back(in a good location, Nexus 5X vs bad location like Samsung S8). It allows truly one handed unlocking and usage of phone in one motion.
When i pick up my 5X, my index finger naturally falls onto sensor and unlocks phone and i start using phone right away. Doesn't matter if i'm taking phone out of pocket, off table, or its already in hand, in the natural grip location, my index finger can unlock with a natural/comfortable swipe. It really allows "easy" one handed operation of phone, in those sticky situations when other hand is busy.

On other hand, if i simulate unlocking phone with a sensor at bottom front of phone, it's always, move grip down phone, unlock, than re-adjust phone to get phone in normal grip for standard usage. Its always a multi-step process.

I guess it just depends how big phone is versus hands, if phone is bigger than hands, back is likely best/easy to reach for index finger. If you have large hand versus phone, thumb swipe might be more natural(not have to change grip).

I think it is a lot to do with phone-hand size ratio. I have fairly big hands, and I'm using a 6S (non-plus). The phone just sits in my hand, and everything on the front is pretty much accessible. It would actually take some unnatural movement (for me) to use a rear-mounted sensor I think. Maybe if the phone was bigger, that wouldn't be the case, but I'm not into oversized phones. I prefer to be able to drop it in a side pocket.

I don't understand this opinion with people. I have a nexus 5X and honestly can't imagine a better place for a finger print sensor than the back.

I'm not a fan of the back sensor because I often like to use my phone with it still sitting on the desk. I'd rather not have to pick it up to log in.

I'm not a fan of the back sensor because I often like to use my phone with it still sitting on the desk. I'd rather not have to pick it up to log in.

This for me as well. I like being able to unlock with the phone laying on my desk.

Back