LCD 17 vs LCD 19?

Wow, after seeing the thread names in this forum, boy do I feel small. Anyway, I was wondering if it was worth getting a 19 inch over a 17 inch. I have a 17 inch and I think its pretty good but for my new computer I'm contemplating going to a 19 inch. I'm wondering if its really worth the extra $50 to do so. They both run at a max resolution of 1280 x 1024 or so. I'm trying ot limit my self to about a $1200 budget and am thinking of either getting a 6600 over a 6400 or a Radeon X1650 Pro/XT with that extra $50 (I'm around $50 underbudget and can get a 1650 pro for $106).

Absolutely, a bigger LCD is one of the best purchases you can buy. I'd check on this forum for specific models, but 19" (or larger) is definitely the way to go. I bought a 19" myself 3 years ago and have been immensely satisfied with it. Go ahead and grab the larger monitor, you won't be dissappointed.

Both 17 and 19" LCD's share the same 1280x1024 resolution so when you go up two inches the pixles are larger. Now mind you I have no issue with this but I wonder if those in another thread who lambasted 22" over 20" widescreens due to the larger pixels will chime in here :)

I prefer larger even at the same resolution because I can sit back farther but there is a difference. "Usually" the 17" will appear sharper because of the smaller pixels.

-JB

jrb531 said:
Both 17 and 19" LCD's share the same 1280x1024 resolution so when you go up two inches the pixles are larger. Now mind you I have no issue with this but I wonder if those in another thread who lambasted 22" over 20" widescreens due to the larger pixels will chime in here :)

Sure I will. :)

If 17" and 19" was the same price. I would still get the 17". I hate 19" with the huge obvious pixels. I want to see smooth images, I don't want to see pixels. 19" is good if you have vision problems or want to sit further away. I tend to sit close enough to see pixels on a 17".

If you want to upgrade your 17", I would go for one that also gave you more resolution as well as more real size. Or stick with 17" for now and pick something much bigger in a couple of years.

One of my favorite links:
http://tvcalculator.com/index.html?e59bc4c34296ac6620e7d315d0d281b7

Move from 17" to 19" give more physical size, no resolution improvement.
Move from 17" to 20" WS gives same height, but more physical width and more resolution.
Move from 17" to 20 FS gives you more height, more width and much more resolution.

To the original poster. I am not quite sure how it only saves you $50 to stay at $17, if you already have the 17".

This is a new system. The 17' I had was came with the e-machines I bought last year. Its actually very good quality considering it carried the e-machines brand on it. The only problem I had with it was the fact that the backlit 'E' power button kinda screwed up so its weird - not annoying but weird.

I was also considering the 19 inch WS, Its about the same price but has a 1440 * 900. Any thoughts on this? Can my games support that resolution or will it default to something less?

Also, what's a good cheap/quality brand do you recommend. I've been looking at Hanns but they don't make anything but 19 inchers.

My roommate actually has the 19" WS HannsG, Id never heard of the brand before he got it, but for the average user it looks like a great monitor. I've seen some FEAR and WoW on it and it looks beautiful. I dont know much about its technical specs, but if your the typical pc user who justs want to play games/watch movies and enjoy it, I haven't seen any glaring problems with the monitor. Other users I'm sure can give you more information about a good 19" WS.

Most new games can run in widescreen one way or another, check out http://www.widescreengamingforum.com for a great resource on widescreen gaming.

Back