LCD help for a CRT bloke

Hudder

Weaksauce
I am a texture artist in the video game industry. I currently work on three 21 inch CRT monitors. I have long loved CRT quality in terms of black level, resolution flexibility, etc, but I have grown tired of the cons: space consumption, weight, and heat. I think it's time for me to move to LCD...

I am having real trouble deciding what I want. I need lots of desktop space for all the programs I use at once. Do I do three 24's? Bigger would be nice…a 27" with smaller sides? 30" with smaller sides? Two 27"s? Since I push pixels for a living, I’m thinking the resolution and larger size of things in a 27” might even be helpful…

Being in the industry, I also play games. So bigger is better for that as well. What about multi monitor gaming? Is it even possible with the bigger monitors, even with say two GTX cards? Would you not have to run lower resolutions on any high native res monitors? And just how bad does scaling come out on these fixed pixel displays anyway? I just wouldn’t know. And would different monitors do it better than the next?

Thanks for any tips, I am really stuck.

Hudder

i can't tell if you know that 24 = 27 in terms of pixels (both 1920x1200), while the 30 is 2560 x 1600.

i would be more concerned with panel quality than pixels. if colour is really important, i would suggest sticking to the pro brands lie eizo, lacie, some NEC's etc. than the mainstream models.

you'll read in these forums complains about colour shifting, poor black and other problems with certain monitors. so effort should be put into finding the best pro brand for what you need, then contemplate pixel res.

some people here still think CRT > LCD for pro work

my 2 cents

Hi fuz, and thanks.

I do understand the difference in resolution. It's still hard picturing the end result with such larger physical sizes. I'm starting to think that 2560x1600 on a 30 might be too small, let alone hard to get games running well on. I currently run my main center 21" monitor in 1360x1024 to get a better look at fine texturing detail. So I was thinking I might not mind the larger pitch in the 27". Sides run at 1600x1200.

Colour is important to a degree. I design for the PC and I need good performance, but I'm also designing for a "regular monitor" environment.

I will start to look at the more pro models as I learn here, including those you suggested. I also just stumbled upon Planer's PX2611W. I don't know what's what yet though. And I don't know how good any of the mainstream 24" through 30" screens are.

I'm starting to think that 2560x1600 on a 30 might be too small, let alone hard to get games running well on. .

remember you'll need a dual link DVI card (normally newer cards), to be able to display that res (even on teh desktop)

I also just stumbled upon Planer's PX2611W.

planar is one of my "etc's" we can't get them here in australia, so i avoided naming them

i'll leave some else to comment on high end monitors. i haven't got my head around the whole colour shifting thing, and what needs to be avoided, and which pro models avoid these problems.

in passing i would recommend a 27inch dell, they seem to be getting thumbs up. they do have 92% gamut.

if you are gaming, i would probably suggest stick to one 24 at this point. u might fight with some programs to get them running in a res that fits two 24s

you'll read in these forums complains about colour shifting, poor black and other problems with certain monitors.

Color shifting is a major problem for designers. Here is a picture of a Dell 2007 with an S-PVA panel. Check out the black crush in the lower portion:

All S-PVA panels have this type of problem with dark colors, including the Dell 2707. TN panels have problems with color accuracy and verticle color shifting. Make sure you get an S-IPS panel, like the 30" Dell if you want to avoid color shifting.

Scyles, thanks. Black crush and colour uniformity issues would drive me nuts. Man this is the sort of thing that really scares me about moving from CRT. And these days you buy these monitors blind and go by nothing other than the info you dig up online.

Anyway, from my limited knowledge right now, and from picking up that S-IPS is the way to go, my best options are starting to look like the NEC 2690WUXi and the Planar PX2611w. I've read there are some issues with the NEC (noise?) and the Planar I can't find anything about at all.

I think 30" will be just too big/highres for both work and gaming. I will have a hunt for my 24" S-IPS options.

3 23" Apple Cinema Displays S-IPS. 1920x1200. But buy them at once with the 3 year warranty as well because Apple likes to update them on the fly without revision markers.

I think I am going to just get the S-IPS panelled Planar 26". $999 for an IPS. Give LCD a swing with a good panel, and if it's not ideal, then it's not ideal. I'll enjoy it for a few years until new and better technology is affordable - re: LED. At worst it'll be great to game on and I continue working with CRTs. But maybe I will be pleasantly surprised.

good luck man, going from CRT to LCD is a hard adjustment, especially if you're used to working on quality CRT's:D

CRT4LYFE yo:D

and like Skyles said, STAY AWAY from the dell 2407's, FAR AWAY......

Theres a 37" LCD at costco right now for less money...I just ordered since I can just return it if it sucks and go back to my 22" CRT. I love CRT's as well this will be my frist LCD. Even my HD television is a high end CRT. Although I have purchased several LCD's for other people, and people that view my stuff think it looks "out of date" I still love what CRT's have to offer as far as image quality over LCD's, and they are typicaly exceptionaly better in games too...The only thing LCD's are better at is using less power and space and weight (and shipping hah) IMO. But 37 friggin inches! hard to pass up.

I have ordered the Planar 26". I will let you guys know how things go....

Several of us would love to have your opinion on this product. You have obviously been doing some research on your own and know that there is no info about the Planar. I have communicated with them twice now and the panel is the same one that the 2690 uses. The difference is the electronics. I am hoping that you like this one because there are several here that have been waiting for a review so they can also purchase one (if it is a good review). An IPS panel is the only way for you to go with and I think you will probably be happy with the Planar.

I'm interested in hearing about the Planar as well. The NEC's are great and all, but they've got a ton of features I don't need, which only serves to drive up the price for me.

Back